It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historical Freemason Documents

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
sutton is a location in greater london
Actually, in this case it is merely the Sutton Royal Arch Chapter in Lynn, Massachusetts, if I'm reading it correctly.

If so, this appears to be their building as it stands today. (Don't know if this building dates back to when that document was signed.)

Saurus has given his take, but it's slightly different in America and this looks to be a fairly standard American York Rite document... "having manifested his skill and excellence in the first three degrees of Masonry, was by us advanced to the degrees of Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master, and afterwards exalted to the degree of Royal Arch Mason..."

More on those aforementioned degrees...

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
Here you can see the document is stating that a man named Barzillia F Wright, Jr. has achieved the first 3rd degrees of Masonry and is being given the "sublime degree of Royal Arch Mason"
So, more accurately, he's just received his 7th degree in the York Rite system. The first 3 degrees common to all "blue lodge" Masonry, and four additional degrees in the "Chapter" of York Rite Masonry, ending with the Royal Arch.
edit on 2011.11.7 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Wow thanks everyone, all interesting information

I'll try to take more detailed photo's later, of both, and post.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Don't you think the three men in the picture look like the 'Three Kings' who visited Christ in Bethlehem?
Do you know anything about that?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

Those are very nice. Great find.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

Don't you think the three men in the picture look like the 'Three Kings' who visited Christ in Bethlehem?
They are more likely either as Saurus described, or (since I haven't gone through the York Rite degrees myself, just guessing based on Blue Lodge significance) the one on the right might not be wearing a "crown" at all. Just a hat. If so, the one in the middle could be Solomon, the one on the left, Hiram King of Tyre, and the one on the right Hiram Abiff, the architect of the temple.

KSig might be able to offer some insight here as well, because he has gone through the American York Rite system.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I don't think anyone has mentioned the winged disc emblem beneath the sq&compass at left, and beneath the Triangle at right.
edit on 7-11-2011 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

and the one on the right Hiram Abiff, the architect of the temple.

I said that in a previous post. But I don't know as I'm not a mason.
Saurus said this though;

The person on the right of the picture is the third principal, Joshua, the High Priest who officiated at the rebuilding of the temple. The person on the left is the second principal, Haggai, the prophet, and the person in the center is the first principal, Zerubbabel, the governor of Persia, who led the Jews who had been released out of Babylonian captivity.

Aren't those the men depicted in the picture then?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi Skorpio
The first thing that flashed me is the 4 "flags" directly over what seems like the 3 kings.
They remind me of the symbols of the 4 evangelist.
The usual symbols for them are : Lion = Mark, Eagle = John, Winged Man or angel = Matthew, Ox or bull = Luke.

Leftmost is obviously a bull.
Center left looks like a winged man holding a shield.
Center right should be a lion but IMO almost looks like a dog.
Last one might be an eagle, but again it looks more like a dove.
Having a clearer picture would help.
Interesting find nonetheless.

Cheers
edit on 7-11-2011 by SolidGoal because: typo

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The legend of the Royal Arch surrounds the story of the Jews, returning from captivity, rebuild Solomons Temple. The principle officers of an American Royal Arch Chapter are the High Priest, King, and Scribe who represent Zerrubabel, Haggia, and Joshua. The Royal Arch degree is the completion of the 3rd degree and an impressive degree.

reply to post by SolidGoal

Here is an explanation of the banners from an encyclopedia of Freemasonry:

Hence, under this arrangement—and it is the only one upon which we can depend-the four banners in a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, working in the American Rite, should be distributed as follows among the banner-bearing officers:

1. An eagle, on a blue banner. This represents the Tribe of Dan, and is borne by the Grand Master of the First Veil.

2. A man, on a purple banner. This represents the Tribe of Reuben, and is borne by the Grand Master of the Second Veil.

3. An ox, on a scarlet banner. This represents the Tribe of Ephraim, and is borne by the Grand Master of the Third Veil.

4. A lion, on a white banner. This represents the Tribe of Judah, and is borne by the Royal Arch Captain.

edit on 7-11-2011 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

They are Joshua, Zerrubabel, and Haggai (who are represented by the three principal officers in a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons). The one wearing the crown is Zerubbabel. Joshua, the High Priest, sits in the center. The Prophet Haggai is on the right.

In Chapters under the jurisdiction of the General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International, the presiding officer of the Chapter is the High Priest, and represents Joshua. In Chapters under the obedience of the Supreme Grand Chapter of the Holy Royal Arch of England, the presiding officer is styled First Principal, and represents Zerubbabel.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Masonic Light because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason

The legend of the Royal Arch surrounds the story of the Jews, returning from captivity, rebuild Solomons Temple. The principle officers of an American Royal Arch Chapter are the High Priest, King, and Scribe who represent Zerrubabel, Haggia, and Joshua. The Royal Arch degree is the completion of the 3rd degree and an impressive degree.

reply to post by SolidGoal

Here is an explanation of the banners from an encyclopedia of Freemasonry:

Hence, under this arrangement—and it is the only one upon which we can depend-the four banners in a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, working in the American Rite, should be distributed as follows among the banner-bearing officers:

1. An eagle, on a blue banner. This represents the Tribe of Dan, and is borne by the Grand Master of the First Veil.

2. A man, on a purple banner. This represents the Tribe of Reuben, and is borne by the Grand Master of the Second Veil.

3. An ox, on a scarlet banner. This represents the Tribe of Ephraim, and is borne by the Grand Master of the Third Veil.

4. A lion, on a white banner. This represents the Tribe of Judah, and is borne by the Royal Arch Captain.

edit on 7-11-2011 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

Thanks KSigMason.
Similarities with christian symbolism of the four evangelists is still striking though.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here's what I think it says:

To The Enlightened Throughout the Globe
Be It Known

that Companion Barzillia C. Wright, Jr.
who in the margin has signed his name after
having manifested his skill and excellence in
the first three degrees of Masonry, was by us
advanced to the degrees of Mark Master, Past Master,
Most Excellent Master, and afterward exhaulted to the
sublime degree of Royal Arch Mason, in Sutton
Royal Arch Chapter holden in Lynn, Mass.
and we do hereby recommend him to the attention
friendship and hospitatlity of the Craft wherever
dispensed, IN TESTIMONY whereof we have ??
our names and caused the Seal of our Chapter
to be affixed this 13th day of April in the
year of our Lord 1823 and of Masonry 5893 (??)
Leucis P. Breen
Charles A. Alloy (??)
J. Dexter Johnson
(name illegible)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by czqjtohypmdu

And what does this have to do with anything?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

They are Joshua, Zerrubabel, and Haggai (who are represented by the three principal officers in a Chapter of Royal Arch Masons). The one wearing the crown is Zerubbabel. Joshua, the High Priest, sits in the center. The Prophet Haggai is on the right.

In Chapters under the jurisdiction of the General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International, the presiding officer of the Chapter is the High Priest, and represents Joshua. In Chapters under the obedience of the Supreme Grand Chapter of the Holy Royal Arch of England, the presiding officer is styled First Principal, and represents Zerubbabel.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Masonic Light because: (no reason given)

Thank you

I appreciate the answer.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

Why you mad?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by czqjtohypmdu

I'm not. I am just asking to what purpose that quote serves?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join