It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEar Death Experience? It's all in your head son.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Our brain has a lot of functions built into it to handle life, so it would be pretty neglectful by nature if not functions to handle death was included too, since that is part of life .

IMO whatever happens when we die, death is the only thing that's real.
edit on 3-11-2011 by iamdavid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Sorry this got so few stars OP. You got one from me, though I think your title was too inflammatory to be honest. People here rather stick their hands over their ears and live in their fantasies than hear or discuss actual scientific data and evidence that might go against any of their "beliefs".

It's pathetic when doom and gloom predictions with no proof, or "I'm a illuminati insider/alien hybrid/yadayada" with no credibility or evidence to back up their claims, or blurry youtube videos of a light in the sky, get dozens of stars and flags by these mobs of mentally ill or gullible people who'd rather just believe in a cool sounding story than research or exam things scientifically. It's good to know scientists are starting to examine these claims, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with that unless they just don't want their bubble to be burst if the results don't support their fantasy.

I hope to see more thorough experiments carried out by scientists and welcome their data, whatever it may be.
edit on 3-11-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Because most people cannot believe in what they cannot see. To them seeing is believing and if they can't see it, it isn't real and doesn't exist to them. To these people once your physical body dies, it is lights out even though in doing this they ignore the fact that the human body runs on electrical impulses from the brain and electricity is energy and energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form.
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Sometimes I feel as though I live in the twilight zone.
Some people are so narrow minded they cannot see in front of them. I know it is meant to be this way ( I guess) but it doesn't help the fact that it is true. How can one deny the existence of another realm and space time is beyond my comprehension. Have we not learned anything after all these thousands of years? I mean...come on already.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Logical thinking, the scientific method and demanding proof for claims which defy known scientific knowledge is not "narrow minded" or not "seeing whats in front of us". But whatever, phrase things so it suits your agenda, "believers" just love to do that. If everyone just accepted things because some fictional book or religious leader "said so" with no evidence to back it up, or because we "feel its true" or basically just want it to be true, or whatever other "reasoning" religious/"believers" use then this world would still be in the dark ages instead of advancing forward due to science.

PS- Scientists don't necessarily deny another "realm" beyond our space, multi dimensions are recognized as a possibility by scientists in things like string theory. But they simply don't attach spiritual meanings to it or make claims that we have souls or heavens or gods or whatever else, because there is no scientific evidence to support such illogical leaps.
edit on 3-11-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
bunk, doesn't explain cases of blind born OBE's seeing colours and numbers outside the body later proven to be true.

next.

This is the usual uninformed nonsense one hears from those defending the materialistic paradigm of reality. It cannot explain many well-documented OOBEs and NDEs that provided those who left their bodies with accurate information about their surroundings about which they did not know prior ro rhe experience and which it was impossible for their five senses to access without breaking the laws of physics.

from page one.
edit on 3/11/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Because most people cannot believe in what they cannot see. To them seeing is believing and if they can't see it, it isn't real and doesn't exist to them. To these people once your physical body dies, it is lights out even though in doing this they ignore the fact that the human body runs on electrical impulses from the brain and electricity is energy and energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form.
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Sometimes I feel as though I live in the twilight zone.
Some people are so narrow minded they cannot see in front of them. I know it is meant to be this way ( I guess) but it doesn't help the fact that it is true. How can one deny the existence of another realm and space time is beyond my comprehension. Have we not learned anything after all these thousands of years? I mean...come on already.

To them they see it as mysticism or "magics" or fairy tales. To each their own i guess. I rather like the idea that something of me passes on because i don't like the idea that i will be wormfood with that being my ultimate fate. Granted everyone dies, but i choose to have hope and that hope being in Jesus Christ.

Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives. Some people are walking corpses, Jesus as much as said so.

Luke 9:60 And Yeshua said to him, “Let the dead bury their dead and you go announce the Kingdom of God.”

You may understand this passage.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Did they have anybody with "NDEs" who had experiences with going to Hell?

It also sounds like quite a bit of speculation to me.

I seriously don't get what the problem is with this stuff.

Maybe the paranormal is just based on some weird quirk in nature that we don't understand yet and haven't advanced far enough to really explore yet.
edit on 3-11-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
if i wanted to get nitpicky, i could point that technically EVERYTHING YOU PERCIEVE is just in your head, son, not just near death experience but all experience..

"Prove to me that you are not all figments of my imagination." -Solipsism

edit on 3/11/11 by mzungu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Logical thinking, the scientific method and demanding proof for claims which defy known scientific knowledge is not "narrow minded" or not "seeing whats in front of us". But whatever, phrase things so it suits your agenda, "believers" just love to do that. If everyone just accepted things because some fictional book or religious leader "said so" with no evidence to back it up, or because we "feel its true" or basically just want it to be true, or whatever other "reasoning" religious/"believers" use then this world would still be in the dark ages instead of advancing forward due to science. PS- Scientists don't necessarily deny another "realm" beyond our space, multi dimensions are recognized as a possibility by scientists in things like string theory. But they simply don't attach spiritual meanings to it or make claims that we have souls or heavens or gods or whatever else, because there is no scientific evidence to support such illogical leaps.
reply to post by darkest4

Seriously?

Science has taught me a lot...where have you been? There is documented evidence for days. Just because you do not understand something does not mean I don't. I read the evidence and understand it. Why do you not?

Furthermore, I do not need to be religious. Sorry....that is old. I mean.....really old!

An illogical leap suggesting more realms, more dimensions, and more they do not understand?
You need to make a better case.

Have you ever tried to have an OBE? No? Then come back when you have.

Have you ever tried to suggest your reality and it become manifested? Probably not...you may have to believe in something other than science. Science is great....but one needs more than man denying human experiences.

Look.....humans have been around for a very long time and there may be a lot we do not know but experience and history may indeed tell us what we don't know or have not discovered yet. Narrow minded individuals only base their "belief" on science whereas an open minded individual looks at ALL aspects of evidence to form a hypothesis.

You are talking to a person that loves Science, metaphysics, physics, and everything else in between. I have a passion for truth in all areas and combine them as to form my own conclusion. Science has a long way to go. If they really want to expand the knowledge they must come out of the box first. Many...and I mean MANY are doing so and have been for a very long time.

One can astral travel if they really want. The human mind is very powerful.

Are you one who thinks we just tick tock and then go back in the ground never to surface again??

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

bunk, doesn't explain cases of blind born OBE's seeing colours and numbers outside the body later proven to be true. next.
reply to post by whatsinaname

Exactly!!!! There is a lot Science cannot explain and that is because they are either stuck in the 30's or they really aren't looking in the right place.

I agree...NDE's have been a passion of mine since 1999. I love this subject and there are a lot of speculations but one can conclude that it can indeed be controlled by the mind before reaching the other side completely. Your mind believes what you say and if you command of it or of energies they usually manifest. It is really cool.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Life is all in your head.

I at least apply that much spirit essence to my life. Our brains are super computers, but we use them in routine and under a low power setting. Step above and see the cycle, though we can't really help it, I guess.

We don't know anything about death other than where it goes from the body, and even that isn't a lot. The process may never be known until we reach death. Life by itself is a spiritual and interesting experience. I don't know if I'm ignorant enough to say that death is nothingness because I got here somehow, and at first, I had no name.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Rubbish. Not all near death experiences are on the operating table or sickness stricken in bed or drug OD or whatever. I saw ANOTHER person pass over in my mind during a car wreck I was in. I remained conscious the entire time and was not injured at all. I saw HIM die, I saw HIS spirit crossover into the realm "up there". I witnessed HIS death experience, not mine. They couldn't find his body for 2 hours after the wreck ( he was thrown out down a cliff ) and the whole time they looked, I already knew he was dead. Now you tell me how I saw that when I was tumbling end to end and rolling 5 times?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

It's unfortunate that OP seems content to reach a conclusion based on cherry picking data. Taken as a whole, the evidence gathered for NDEs seems to indicate a phenomena not so easily reduced to simply a dying brain.

An unbiased analysis of the evidence doesn't lend to reducing these experiences to mere fantasy and fairytale, this is however, predictable for many materialist thinkers and atheists who view anything even vaguely associated with religion as poison and heresy that will throw us into another Dark Ages. It's an emotional response, devoid of reason and critical thinking, and it lowers the tone of discussion to mere noise and bluster. If skeptics like OP would spend less time destroying strawmen and more time honestly engaging the evidence, actually acting like a scientist, they might find their opinions better received.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absco
'___'

I hate to be that guy that mentions this but '___' is totally what is released in your brain as you die. People that have these experiences are basically getting rushes of '___' from the Pineal Gland.

Once again, sorry to be the "drug guy" but it's true..

'___' Wiki

edit on 3-11-2011 by Absco because: (no reason given)

I second this!!! Although i hate when people call this chemical a drug, its naturally in you so it is not a drug!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by supine
reply to post by nineix

This is something that I wish science would leave alone.

As if it isn't bad enough that somebody is dying, to learn that what you are seeing isn't real makes death seem more frightening. Our minds work this way for a reason, to make the transition just before a dirt nap less painful mentally.

Yep, I say this should have just been left alone.

I disagree, Science should look into this, but with an open mind and not trying to "make up proof " and dis info it. its just another bunker trying to doubt people. dont believe it.

If science did proper looks into this, it would be a real eye opening experience for people, as an idea it could lead to helping people let go of loved ones more easily. as an idea out of many possible ones!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon
reply to post by nineix

That maybe so, but how does that prove that its not a spiritual experience.

For example lets say a near death experience is the soul leaving the body like an out of body experience. Who is to say that the scientists are not just inducing an out of body experience? like shamans and yoga practitioners the world round.

Just because they can induce or replicate it does not mean it looses credibility.

let's see ... Shamans and other sorts typically put certain substances into their bodies through whatever method of custom they have for that kind of stuff.
The substances, well, they really mess with the brain, and fool the brain into thinking it's dying.
The brain then does the whole kickin' chicken thing, spazzing out in predictable ways depending on what receptors are blocked or stimulated by said substances, and viola, you get one of these experiences.

Same thing in the lab. Insert substance A into receptor B and get effect C.

If after reliably putting gasoline in my car and never having problems, then suddenly changing over to dumping orange juice, or milk in my gas tank where my car doesn't run right, if at all, I think you'll find it hard to find anyone that will accept your explanation that the spirit of my car is just on a higher plane outside of its body.
No. sorry mate.
Car won't run right if you put messed up or inappropriate fuel in it.
Aint no spirit to it.
Biology is just another kind of machine, just biological.

Hopefully one day people will grow up and get away from all the childish make believe nonsense about imaginary characters in the sky with heavens and hells, and realize, THIS is it.
The less mature children will throw temper tantrums like children do, and the more mature, will move on, and accept that life is all the more precious and valuable when you only get one go at it with no do overs, rewards or punishments for doing it right or wrong.

You are more than welcome to think of yourself as nothing but an "it" or a "thing" but it just doesn't jive with my own experience.

There's a ghost in the machine don't you know?

Why be afraid? That's what I don't understand.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That's interesting, tell us more, please describe it in more detail, what's pretty wild!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Thanks for telling about that. Just more proof to me that what we call the "soul" is a separate and distinct reality that does live on when we die or have an out of body experience. Some very fortunate people are capable of traveling outside the body, I know one or two although I have not been able to achieve it myself. A close personal friend from Denmark related to me that when he and his wife were planning to travel to Vienna Austria for the first time that he did an "OBE", went to Vienna and explored the city. Upon he and his wive's actual arrival there she was amazed that he knew where to go and apparently knew the city well. He has related other equally amazing stories to me but said that once he stayed out too long and almost was not able to return to his body. I do not doubt for a moment any of the things he has told me, his credentials are impeccable. He is retired now but was instrumental in both the Apollo space program and the space shuttle.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You have obviously not heard about experiments such as The Scole Experiment

The Scole Experiment chronicles the extraordinary results of a five-year investigation into life after death. At the beginning of 1993 four psychic researchers embarked on a series of experiments in the Norfolk village of Scole. The subsequent events were so astounding that senior members of the prestigious Society for Psychical Research asked to observe, test and record what took place.

The Scole Experiment Website

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by intrptr

That's interesting, tell us more, please describe it in more detail, what's pretty wild!

What I think you want to know is what I "saw" for that brief moment? I had this impression that I was looking way up in the sky, which was weird because I was actually tumbling inside a car in the dark like in a clothes dryer. So how could I be seeing outside the car? Also the image was, for lack of a better word, "stabilized". I saw a momentary moving vision of a person receding away from me upwards. He was standing facing me with his arms outstretched and his palms open towards me.

As he receded, I had the briefest glimpse of where he was heading. It was like a ring of clouds, bathed in golden light. I know that sounds corny and all, its just what I have to describe. There were clouds formed into a ring, and they were bathed in golden light; like on a sunset before the sun goes behind the mountains and the light fades to red... that kind of gold. The really, really, weird thing was as he got smaller and smaller, my attention was drawn from him to the "top" of the ring where I saw figures like looking down at the whole thing.

I couldn't describe them, they were to fuzzy or distant to discern. But they were there, a few any way. I had the impression that they were in charge of the situation, that this event was planned, and I was just witnessing it for whatever reason. Suddenly, my eyes are back in the car, and I am seeing and feeling the car slow and come to a stop upside down. Thud,thud,thud...wump.

That whole night was one of the most incredibly bizarre nights I ever had on earth so far. I could tell you how all the events leading up to the wreck seemed weirdly "destined", but like the rest of the story, that is subjective. I was driving the car. I was recklessly driving the car beyond my level of expertise and this was the result. I am responsible for that mans death, and believe that was why I was shown that part of the experience with my minds eye. I also am aware of the "pre destined" part, which gives me relief from the tremendous guilt that I might be otherwise feeling. Although there is a lot of that as well. I just know in my heart that that was his time and place to go and I was a part of that process.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join