It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help My college is too Liberal!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON

I am a republican, LOL

You know there is treatment for that... it called compassion and education... dont worry we'll have you fixed up in a jiffy

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX

I am a republican, LOL

You know there is treatment for that... it called compassion and education... dont worry we'll have you fixed up in a jiffy

Do you think you can get through the "self interest" ?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Fly a plane into the clock tower and blame a minority! That will get all your fellow students whipped up into a frenzy and hate anything that moves!

Bush will be proud.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
INTEPRED

Look specialasianX's hospital for political ailments has not failed to cure a single right-winger to date... admittedly i havent had any patients and i just kinda made that hospital up on the fly just then... but i'm sure if we kidnapped TACHYON and held him for long enough he would see the light...

Dont owrry TACHYON we wont kidnap you (mainly coz i'm on the other side of the world and unless you buy me a ticket i aint getting to the USA any time soon...), but i do hope that you will see the light ad show compassion for those who dont have the best car, or he biggest house, or the most servants...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   

INTEPRED

Look specialasianX's hospital for political ailments has not failed to cure a single right-winger to date... admittedly i havent had any patients and i just kinda made that hospital up on the fly just then... but i'm sure if we kidnapped TACHYON and held him for long enough he would see the light...

Dont owrry TACHYON we wont kidnap you (mainly coz i'm on the other side of the world and unless you buy me a ticket i aint getting to the USA any time soon...), but i do hope that you will see the light ad show compassion for those who dont have the best car, or he biggest house, or the most servants...

I will be a POP, Prisoner of Politics, and will not budge an inch, even under pressure, as my sign is Taurus, hehe.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I will be a POP, Prisoner of Politics, and will not budge an inch, even under pressure, as my sign is Taurus, hehe.

Well, if your daddy is a Rep., he's a happy man right now. If he's a man that thinks, he's disappointed. Later.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
why am i not suprised that a bunch of mostly poor teen/young adults, just getting out from under the oppressive authority of their parents jurisdiction and moving from restrictive high school environment to a wide open collegate one, would be more liberal in their ideas. Ahh to be young and in college again.

I too was a young college republican, sitting in a class called soviet systems, which was a total excuse for the instructor to try and brainwash students into thinking communisim was better than democracy.

This professor hated me and i delighted in torturing him during class...i dared him to fail me because i disagreed with him. (i passed)
We had a bunch of guys in ROTC that cowered in the back of the class, wearing their uniforms while this guy berated them for joining the American millitary constantly...they pulled me aside (a then long haired dope smoking surfer) and wondered how i was so brave as to oppose him.
I told them if they were wearing those uniforms that they better get brave enough to face down more than this guy....they soon joined me in sending this instructor out of the room on more than one occasion red in the face and cursing mearly for asking a pointed question in class he didnt want to answer....LMAO.

In class he was handing out our final papers after grading them, 30 page monsters in excrutiating detail and correct grammer. (more than 3 errors in punctuation was an F) and he didnt give mine back...i asked where was my paper and what was my grade....HE SAID HE SHREDDED IT AFTER READING THE FIRST PAGE!!! But I got a C on it because i had met his requirements. (this is infront of class btw)

When your young and just getting the opportunity to explore lifes boundaries, your MORE apt to not have as many conservative ideas...your not out of school in your chosen profession, your mostly poor and have nothing but up to look twords...why limit yourself..

Dont worry, the harsh, political correct garbage that corporate America will impose upon them soon will wear down this zeal for liberalism, as well as the fact that once they have kids, mortgages, REAL jobs, and live more adult than collegiate lives, many of them will become more moderate.
(over a decade after college i hear this all the time from former liberals i still know)

Perhaps you can go to the republican club/group on campus and demand that they stand up and get busy? give some time to them if you think only one side is being heard.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
...Sitting in a class called soviet systems, which was a total excuse for the instructor to try and brainwash students into thinking communisim was better than democracy.

This professor hated me and i delighted in torturing him during class...i dared him to fail me because i disagreed with him. (i passed)
We had a bunch of guys in ROTC that cowered in the back of the class, wearing their uniforms while this guy berated them for joining the American millitary constantly...they pulled me aside (a then long haired dope smoking surfer) and wondered how i was so brave as to oppose him.
I told them if they were wearing those uniforms that they better get brave enough to face down more than this guy....they soon joined me in sending this instructor out of the room on more than one occasion red in the face and cursing mearly for asking a pointed question in class he didnt want to answer....LMAO.

In class he was handing out our final papers after grading them, 30 page monsters in excrutiating detail and correct grammer. (more than 3 errors in punctuation was an F) and he didnt give mine back...i asked where was my paper and what was my grade....HE SAID HE SHREDDED IT AFTER READING THE FIRST PAGE!!! But I got a C on it because i had met his requirements. (this is infront of class btw)

Wow... people like that professor make me sick.
Well, he was a Communist, so he obviously didn't believe in freedom of speech, so I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Did you save that paper on your PC's hard drive? I'd love for you to post it here!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   

TACHYON...
you have it all wrong

Educated academics and intelectuals (I.E the intelligent portion of society) support the left and liberalism...

Greedy corrupt corporate ass #ers (I.E the rich greedy bastards in society) support the right and conservatism...

As usual someone has it all wrong. If you would care to check the educational background of fortune 500 companies CEOs, most all of them are more well educated then your average college professor. Most CEO�s in general have at least as many sheepskins if not more than your average college professor. In particular if you look at degrees with an actual professional attachment�.like engineering, professors are on average at least one sheepskin down. So much for your vaunted connection between liberal, intelligent, and education.

[edit on 5-9-2004 by keholmes]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Theres a connection between liberals being educated???

LMAO!!!

And by the way, the hot power player chicks, (like ones on the student council) are more apt to be conservative. That always helped me in student government as the broadcast society President...

Dont get me wrong, i did liberal things....they just didnt get a seccond date...LOL!!

Sorry couldnt resist throwing some humor around.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If you people are going to bitch about too many liberal professors...do something about it. This is the one thing that really irritates me. When conservatives complain about educators being too liberal it irks me to no end. I hear it quite a derned bit on the conservative run radio stations. (I deliver pizzas...I get to hear it all) Why does this piss me off? Rush, Hannity, Gallagher, and Humphries would rather sit on the radio and make the big money instead of changing the problem...meaning, retiring and teaching. That's the thing, it seems that liberals would rather take the pay cut and do the noble thing of teaching our youth.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-capitalism. I like hearing about people making all of the money they can. I just think that it is telling that our education is "overrun by the liberals". One could make the connection that conservatives would be more worried about making money rather than helping their fellow man with education. That probably isn't the case. Perhaps the colleges weed out those "dirty conservatives" applicants during the interviews. However...I have no real solutions or suggestions....just the thoughts that run rampant through the mind of a guy with ADHD...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
KEHolmes,

As usual you only quote part of my post that suits your needs to distort others comments... you failed to mention the part where i said this doesnt apply to everyone... just kinda forgot to include it huh?

Sure CEO's are well educated, but their not intellectuals, they are business men... theres a big difference because they dont use their intelligence for learning and the benefit of others, but only to further their own personal wealth and to help with their personal interests (how republican of them). Where as the liberal professors use their intelligence to teach others and to further improve their knowledge, and not merely to further gain their own needs...

Which of the two do you think are better people?

Once again note there are always exceptions to the rules (but i'm sure Mr Holmes will just ignore this last bit as he did previously)

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by specialasianX]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

(please keep in mind this is as a general rule... its not a definate fact...)

Actually, your partially right because I did need this part in the original post to prove your �general rule� wrong�.. as you state it is a general rule that would indicate the exception as being at least below average, and that is not true. What I was pointing out was that your exception is the general rule �but that�s a small point. You appeared to attempt to draw a correlation between education, intellectual and intelligent. And what I was attempting in my sorry way was to show that if that was true; then using your logic the corporate officers would actually be the more intelligent. But I now understand that you have redefined intellectual to suit your own agenda, fair enough. I now understand your post a little better.

As for who is a better person�I�ll leave that to you.

1. [n] a person who uses the mind creatively
2. [adj] appealing to or using the intellect; "satire is an intellectual weapon"; "intellectual workers engaged in creative literary or artistic or scientific labor"; "has tremendous intellectual sympathy for oppressed people"; "coldly intellectual"; "sort of the intellectual type"; "intellectual literature"
3. [adj] of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man"
4. [adj] involving intelligence rather than emotions or instinct; "a cerebral approach to the problem"; "cerebral drama"
[adj] of or relating to the intellect; "his intellectual career"

[edit on 6-9-2004 by keholmes]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Sure CEO's are well educated, but their not intellectuals, they are business men... theres a big difference because they dont use their intelligence for learning and the benefit of others, but only to further their own personal wealth and to help with their personal interests (how republican of them). Where as the liberal professors use their intelligence to teach others and to further improve their knowledge, and not merely to further gain their own needs...

Which of the two do you think are better people?

Once again note there are always exceptions to the rules...

What? That's not even a rule...

So a person isn't an "intellectual" unless they're a college professor or a social worker, no matter their education level? That doesn't even make sense. Everyone lives with their self-interest in mind at the core -- college professors try to sell their ideas just the same as businessmen try to sell their products. College professors dream of being the next Albert Einstein or Sigmund Freud at the same time that businessmen dream of being the next Nelson Rockefeller or Bill Gates.

Also, you assume that engineers, businessmen, etc. -- basically everyone else with an education -- aren't productive members of society. Businessmen create jobs by identifying and selling products which people want, need, or both -- otherwise no one would spend money on those products. Engineers discover and create products that people want, need, or both so that businessmen can sell them. That's just two random examples, but hopefully you get the idea.

Then again, perhaps you attempted to say something more broad -- that only liberals are intellectuals, and that only intellectuals are educated?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Serioulsy there are too many peace freaks out here.
[edit on 1-9-2004 by TACHYON]

What's wrong with peace ??? And why are they considered 'freaks' in your eyes ?

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I thought I would skip to the end as I don't have a lot of time and thought I'd just post my thoughts on the OP, but to me the real freaks are the Bush Zombies (who looked like they were LITERALLY plugged into the Matrix during the repugnant convention) who continue to advocate even more killing and senseless destruction. What kind of a basis is this for a presidency ? Someone who appears to have zero concern over the lives of people who have to live HERE.

IMO, anybody who votes for this person for another 4 years is an utter idiot.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Holmes and Thundercloud,

I am not saying only liberals are intelligent, neither am i saying that businessmen are useless members of society... business is good when it allows for diversity and lets people get ahead... corporations are not so good as they limit and individuals progress and dominate the markets leaving the smallers business man with little to no chance of cracking into the market (like i have said many times, there is always exceptions, i.e not all corporations are evil).

My point about intellectuals and academics being liberals was once again talking about the big picture where (as pointed out by TACHYON) liberals do tend to fill these roles in society... interpret this how you will, but please dont put words in my mouth... it makes for a very weak argument.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   

My point about intellectuals and academics being liberals was once again talking about the big picture where (as pointed out by TACHYON) liberals do tend to fill these roles in society... interpret this how you will, but please dont put words in my mouth... it makes for a very weak argument.

I didn�t feel that I did put words in you mouth, I simply used the definition for the words you choose. If you noticed when you explained that you were redefining the word intellectual to fit your agenda I said fine. And my point simply was that when you use the proper definition of intellectuals your theory was wrong�according to the 1996 ANES survey republicans led in college education 39 to 28% (the national big picture).
So point taken if you note your redefinitions I will not use the standard, and your argument will remain strong.

plsc.uark.edu...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm

Serioulsy there are too many peace freaks out here.
[edit on 1-9-2004 by TACHYON]

What's wrong with peace ??? And why are they considered 'freaks' in your eyes ?

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I thought I would skip to the end as I don't have a lot of time and thought I'd just post my thoughts on the OP, but to me the real freaks are the Bush Zombies (who looked like they were LITERALLY plugged into the Matrix during the repugnant convention) who continue to advocate even more killing and senseless destruction. What kind of a basis is this for a presidency ? Someone who appears to have zero concern over the lives of people who have to live HERE.

IMO, anybody who votes for this person for another 4 years is an utter idiot.

If a nation is not aggressive but also altruistic to its people at the same time it will perish. I think it was John Locke who said something to that effect. Tell your peace theory to Julius Caesar, or to Napoleon, or to General Patton.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join