It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire West Coast Hit Hard by Radiation!! Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Here is the headline from the article,

“High concentrations” of radiation hit US and Canada — Plume was rich in Cesium-137 and “close to the surface” from Vancouver southward — See also Hawaii, Florida (MAPS)

I am also including the link to the story.

enenews.com...

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Interesting, we members of the humble internet crazy association informed the public of this as the events were unfolding but were called crazy....

If this is what they are finally admitting to, bet your butt it was considerably worse. Radiation is a funny thing, in the movies everyone would be dead by now.

In reality, they can minimize this to the extreme as the real deaths caused by this will take years if not more.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
We can easliy expect cancer case to be on the rise for the next few years...
Yay! Radiation! As if we don't have enough out there to try and kill us.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
And we are not even addressing the part where animals and plants are exposed, too...

Well, there ARE ways and steps we can take to minimize to some extent the effects of the expositions. But most won't know about it, or even know there is a problem at all.

You can bet that in 20 years or so, a product will be pointed as the cancer giving culprit (or other troubles), not the radiations. Who blames Chernobyl?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

While this news does not surprise me in the least -- as over on the big Japan thread we were talking about just this matter months ago -- I'd be interested to hear your own opinions and/or observations on this. After all, you started the thread so it would be good to know what your perspective on this is. (EDIT: I suspect you are not impressed. Just like to see what you have to say.)

Mine is that if we consider how the Japanese authorities have dithered and dallied in informing their own people of the extent of contamination there, it seems unlikely to me that we can expect much better from other countries -- and I don't just mean the US, either.

I would be interested to know how many formerly healthy ATS members have recently been diagnosed with thyroid disorders and approximately where they live. ("Recently" meaning after March of this year and perhaps only in the past couple of months.) Can almost bet there will be more than a couple.

Mike

edit on 31/10/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Interestingly enough, for me anyway, is the fact that both alpha and beta particles increased HEAVILY in my 2011 water report.

I live in SLC, Utah. The report I am referring to was supplied by my local waterworks, and the samples used for the report were gathered in late 2010 for release in 2011.

This report was created BEFORE Fukushima and not only did levels of radiation in our local municipal water supply go up, but the EPA maximum limit went up as well. Consequently, radiation levels fell with in acceptable (new, higher ranges for 2010) levels. Again, this was BEFORE Fukushima.

You should all take a peek at your local water reports, go back a couple of years and see if radiation levels were raised pre- or post- Fukushima. I am very curious as to why my area saw radiation levels in water rise before Fukushima even happened..

And yes, I was telling people to stay out of the rain right after Fukushima and they were all calling me crazy. I was watching the computer models that were available at the time, and closely monitoring the EPA statements being released as well. I knew at that time that they were minimizing what was actually there but had no proof.

I am waiting for my 2011 water quality report to see what additional effects Fukushima had on my local water supply. If anyone is interested in proof please respond and I will post the last 3-4 water quality reports (the most recent released in 2011 for the 2010 year) so you can see for yourself that radiation levels in my local water supply have been rising for the past few years.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

My feelings are actually pretty simple. Without going into aalot of analysis, I feel sick about the accident. I feel sorry for the Japanese Peeople obviously. I knew as I watched the news back in March and April that something like this was coming. It makes me think of The BP Oil Spill. The way they said all of that oil had just disappeared , knowing it's a lie and I am sure many people feel as I do in that The US Govt. should not be down playing this, but rather have warned us . Thanks for your post and input

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If the government isn't releasing accurate and factual data then Universities should be.

Universities across the country are equipped to monitor and report radiation levels, and only a couple actually did. I'm not sure if they were complacent in the entire "cover up" or if they just didn't think it was important enough to worry about. Maybe a combination of both.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ark005
We can easliy expect cancer case to be on the rise for the next few years...
Yay! Radiation! As if we don't have enough out there to try and kill us.

Big Pharma salivates at the mouth......

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Alpha and beta particles are short lived and don't pose a threat unless you consume that water in large quantities for 50 years or more.

They are also naturally occurring.

And the levels go up and down depending on the influx or concentration of water.
edit on 31-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Alpha and beta particles are short lived and don't pose a threat unless you consume that water in large quantities for 50 years or more.

They are also naturally occurring.

And the levels go up and down depending on the influx or concentration of water.
edit on 31-10-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Yeah, thanks. I understand the basics and then some.

To say that alpha and beta radiation isn't harmful is a flat out lie. To say that they are "short lived" without giving reference is shady.. Short lived compared to what? Compared to some radionuclides with half lives in the billions? Caesium-137, for example, has a half life of around 30 years.. That might be "short lived" but it is more than long enough to bio-accumulate in a human and cause cancer within their lifetimes. Please qualify your statement with some examples so I can better understand what you meant to say?

Additionally, these alpha and beta emitters are chemically close to other minerals that the body readily absorbs, and they accumulate in different areas (depending on the radionuclide type) of the body. They most definitely ARE dangerous in small INTERNAL doses.

There has been a consistent and steady rise in both alpha and beta emitters in my water supply. Levels spiked in 2010 before the Fukushima accident occurred. I am familiar with my area and even researched historical reports to compare levels. Never before in any of the official tests had levels been as high as they are showing for the report released in 2011.

What makes it even worse is that the EPA raised their acceptable levels in my area without notice even BEFORE Fukushima happened. I have yet to find an explanation but I have had ongoing correspondence with the engineers at my local waterworks and also the engineers at the facility that sells my municipality most of our water (around 80%). Both pointed me to the EPA, who has not answered any of my questions yet.

After I started asking questions historical water quality reports were removed from the water company's website. You now have to call and speak with an engineer to request this documentation.

When I am home later tonight I'll try to post the last few reports so you can better see what I'm talking about. In the meantime here is some information about internal emitters and the negative health effects they bring.

Regarding different types of radiation:
www.hps.org...

Good explanation of bioaccumulation and where different isotopes accumulate:
www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

edit on 31-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Fukushima is like the Gulf Oil Spill……..Out of sight and out of mind.

This thread should be the headline for a week here on ATS, but instead we talk about a cop being pulled over and the Occupy movement.

Don’t get me wrong both of those topics need and should be covered…………….

The Fukushima issue brings death as does the Gulf which carries a little weight to me.

The Government is censoring the threat of this radiation issue……..

Many here know me from starting the Test The Rain Project. Unlike the unique laboratories needed to test for chemical contaminants from the Gulf………We all can test for radiation exposure….

Get your radiation detector and video record your results if warranted……….

That’s how we get the word out………like this guy did in St Louis………

edit on 31-10-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Interesting, we members of the humble internet crazy association informed the public of this as the events were unfolding but were called crazy....

Yes indeed and its sad the crazy labels given to those who tried to warn every dayers of this trama.
Thanks for the update. the ocean life 1 wishes there was a heavy observation of them especially the egg layers..
edit on 10/31/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Why is high concentrations in quotes?

The link is questionable at best, look at the map of Xe, it has a half life of 5 days, it would be dispersed quite a bit by the time it got to the coastlines. All the maps are dome by simulations and estimates, and we all know they can't simulate weather properly, what percentage of time do they get a forecast right?

And the total amount of cesium that has been dispersed NA is negligible in the map, ranging from 0.001-0.1. Which while no radiation is good, are hardly deadly numbers.

People have to remember not to trust anti-nuke sources, just as they shouldn't trust TEPCO. They both have agendas and both estimates will be skewed in order to make a point.

My point is, more people will die from exposure to poor quality air in cities, than people from fall-out of radiation from Fukushima. While it is not a good situation by any means, and I for one think that we should get away from uranium and plutonium, this is not as bad a anti-nuke sites make it.

Pred...
edit on 31-10-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

From what I have learned from testing gulf and rain samples………..you have to take matters into your own hands………

Unfortunately we could not do that with the Gulf……..

With radiation we can………

Arm yourself with a detector and upload your results………….

Don’t rely on internet simulations………….

I personally have not found any contamination “yet”…………But that does not mean the next batch of strawberries that hits the Mid-West is not contaminated.

edit on 31-10-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

While this news does not surprise me in the least -- as over on the big Japan thread we were talking about just this matter months ago -- I'd be interested to hear your own opinions and/or observations on this. After all, you started the thread so it would be good to know what your perspective on this is. (EDIT: I suspect you are not impressed. Just like to see what you have to say.)

Mine is that if we consider how the Japanese authorities have dithered and dallied in informing their own people of the extent of contamination there, it seems unlikely to me that we can expect much better from other countries -- and I don't just mean the US, either.

I would be interested to know how many formerly healthy ATS members have recently been diagnosed with thyroid disorders and approximately where they live. ("Recently" meaning after March of this year and perhaps only in the past couple of months.) Can almost bet there will be more than a couple.

Mike

edit on 31/10/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit

I live on the CA/Or border on the coast. Over the last 3 weeks...I have developed a fever of about 100 never goes away, extreme pain in the thyroid gland, pain in the glands of my neck, headache that never goes away, eye pain, tiredness and weakness. I at the moment have not had the $$ for Drs and tests. A few days ago I tried a self help remedy using salt and became much sicker but the next day the thyroid pain was pretty much gone. All other symptoms remain.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I see nothing abnormal according to this website run by the general internet community/public
www.RadiationNetwork.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I live in Vancouver. I feel healthy. Haven't been sick since before fukushima started. everyday i've been good.
about 3-4 months ago I went for a run and it started to rain, but it felt like acid was embedded within it and I had to run home. i'm sure that has nothing to do with radiation, unless someone can correct me.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I live close to you in the Fraser Valley, and my sons and I have been sick since April almost non stop, for them. They've missed about a half of the school days since Fukushima. Stomach pains are frequent.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Tinkerhaus,

Remember the forest fires near Chernobyl in Russia...not long ago...but before the Fukushima criticality.

When those trees in Russia burned they re-released radiation into Earth's Atmosphere. My geiger counter here went from 20 counts per minute to 40, from the Russian Forest Fire near Chernobyl.

That sent Fallout around the planet. Hence your water report showing increased radioactivity BEFORE Fukushima.

There was also an event in Souther California where their geiger counters went to +800 counts per minute for a day. Unknown why.....but a US nuclear scientist went to a bridge and jumped off to kill himself.

My wife has a cousin in Washington State and she's only in her 20's. Her hair fell out. I'd like to know what's going on up there.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join