It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are THEY Trying to Shut Down Your Local OWS ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have been reading so many threads on here about how the police are brutalizing protesters from NYC to Oakland. Aside from making me sick how these people are being treated, another thought crossed my mind; How are the police, mayors, governments, sheriffs, etc. trying to shut down protests in your area.

For example,

Providence, Rhode Island
Protesters have been gathering in Burnside Park in Providence in what they call "Occupy Providence" for about a month.
The Mayor Angel Tavares, along with Public Safety Comm. Steven Pare have said that the protesters cannot stay there any longer and are filing Eviction Orders in court to have all of the protesters removed.
This protest is smaller than other ones nation wide, but considering the size of RI, its a decent turn-out. Also, the police presence is small, however I am wondering what will happen when this eviction order is passed.
NBC 10 News Article/ video

So again, I ask, along with tear gas, OC, and straight up brute-force, how else are the local authorities trying to shut down your area protests??? Any court actions, etc.? How are the local mayors etc. dealing with this? Fell free to post any pictures, share any stories, etc. HERE

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong category..not sure...Im new at this starting threads thing..if there are any admins out there who can put this in the correct category

edit on 27-10-2011 by LrBc1275 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well, the biggest way they are trying to stop the protest is by brainwashing. They spread tons of disinfo and misinfo around to confuse people and dissuade them from protesting.

Psychological warfare. It's their primary weapon.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Well, the biggest way they are trying to stop the protest is by brainwashing. They spread tons of disinfo and misinfo around to confuse people and dissuade them from protesting.

Very true..one way of that where I am, is that the local news (not CNN, etc) usually always start off the reports on these protests by "xx number of people were arrested"...or getting the police cheifs pov,and not the protesters or the public, things like that.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There has been talk of occupy London being closed down a Revrand from St Pauls Cathedral, where the group is camping resigned today after hearing that the police will remove the protesters. I made a thread about it today.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=12664526#pid12664526

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Occupy Albany was given an 11pm curfew, although New York State Troopers and Albany Police have declined to make arrests, going against orders from Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Jerry Jennings.

You can find more info about this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Occupy Baltimore was issued a statement from the city that they have to "scale back their presence" down to 2 'watchmen' from 11pm to 5am,

...in the case that the City does try to remove us from the space, and if there are people who refuse to leave, there is a possibility of being charged with trespassing and resistance. They went through what to expect if an individual decides to refuse to leave Occupy Baltimore (available in print at the space):

1) You will be handcuffed and taking [sic] to the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center at 300 E. Madison St.

2) There you will be finger printed, your personal property and identification will be will be taken from you and you will be placed in a holding cell.

3) You will stay in the cell until you meet with a Court Commissioner, which will usually occur between 8 and 24 hours.

....read more at occupybmore.org...

waiting to see what happens...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
While searching here on ATS, I found this thread about riot police to raid the protest in San Fransisco

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LrBc1275

My City has been pretty good to the protesters. The courts are letting them stay in their occupy mode.

They are kind of like spoiled children after all.

Gotta give them what they want.....whatever that is, they can't seem to agree on it either.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted before...I did do a small search but didn't find any thing. here is a list of facebook pages for Occupy Protests by area. HP also has a map on the link below

LIST OF FACEBOOK PAGES + MAP of MOST ACTIVE PROTESTS

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I thought everyone had the right

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

source

I don't see anywhere where it specifies what area they can go to assemble, as long as it isn't private property I suppose.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Yup.. and by reading these posts, it's working on the omnipresent easily suckered 1930s German incarnate..

In Santa Cruz, the occupy movement, so called, was pre-dated by a few dozen folks who had already been camping out in / around city hall.. in protest of a local ordinance against overnight sleeping within city limits.

City authorities pretty much ignored them, taking selective action here & there.. the occupy folks swelled the numbers a bit.. but thus far the Sheriffs & SC PD haven't done much different.

Over the hill in Oakland / SF a different story.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

TDawg, seriously it's posts like yours that defame a movement. It doesn't matter whether they are all agreeing on what they want or not, that's the point. There are hundreds of issues that are being protested right now that are all the cause of both the banks, and the big gooberment. At this point the important message is being conveyed, "banks and government have screwed up and we're not leaving until they fix themselves since we can't"

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My City Toronto has been pretty good so far with the OWS However where the protesters camped is a park called St James Park qutie big, dog owners are pretty upset that they cant walk there doggys
well i couldnt care less about there dogs, since the dog owners at that the same park never cleans up after the dog on the ground.

So in other words Toronto has been trying to shut down our local OWS and move them elsewhere because the dog owners are upset well again as if i care about there dogs and there walks.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Occupy Baltimore update...they shut down the protesters access to electricity due to being "a safety/fire hazard." No more computers, microwaves, heat or personal lights as of last night. Street/park lights were kept on.

Article in Bmore Sun
edit on 11/3/2011 by RedParrotHead because: edit

edit on 11/3/2011 by RedParrotHead because: lights

top topics

join