It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The US Declaration Of Independece Legal? Lawyers Discuss The Issue.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
British and US lawyers are discussing the issue of the US declaration of independence was a legal document. The story for those interested is here:-

www.bbc.co.uk...

I think both sides could have an argument.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I suppose this means we in the U.S. need to start paying back taxes to the crown from all the back in 1776?

Interesting post.
Thanks OP!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I would think that the Declaration of Independence didn't really matter too much after winning a war. If you cannot do things diplomatically, just take what you want, right? If the founding fathers weren't "allowed" to legally create the Declaration, I am pretty sure they could do whatever they wanted after winning a war.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Are these lawyers stupid?

We won the war.

After winning a war = any law that previously governed the land is obsolete. Treasonous it "technically' was but who cares?, we kicked tyranny in the face.

edit on 10/20/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/20/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I'm fairly sure the founding fathers would not, and did not give a crap about what the British thought was illegal. And as an American, I also do not give a crap about what the British think Is illegal.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
don't worry we wont be looking to take back what legally is still ours
after all why would we want lord knows how many trillions worth of debt and you can't brew a decent beer so theres no point really, but if it makes you happy you can go outside and shoot a 21 gun salute to your rightful sovereign Queen Elizabeth II

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Genius!! How about you give us Alaska back and we call it quits?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
don't worry we wont be looking to take back what legally is still ours
after all why would we want lord knows how many trillions worth of debt and you can't brew a decent beer so theres no point really, but if it makes you happy you can go outside and shoot a 21 gun salute to your rightful sovereign Queen Elizabeth II

Can you produce a document showing where the natives sold North America to Britain? That's right England thought they could steal nations through the use of flags.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Would have been interesting to see if Britain had decided to try take the Colonies back towards the end of the 1700's. Britain would have sent a much larger Army and Navy. However Britain had a small matter of dealing with Napoleon at the time:-

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

You can have some real fun with conjecture

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
We know you really want to belong to something with a bit of class and dignity however, I'm not quite sure you are ready to be welcomed back into the fold.
Perhaps if you ask nicely we may consider it....I'm just not quite sure what benefits we get in return.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Y'all know this was just an academic debate right? This was just a bunch of legal eagles doing the equivalent of analysing the 49ers / Lions game after the fact.

What is vaguely interesting is that the debate didn't get into the similarities between the Declaration of Independence and the secession of the Southern States.

Of course, all the debate does get trumped by the overarching "might makes right" rule though.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

its really funny how a buncj of ignorant (unkowledgable) brits have no idea how the "crown" is even foreign to them.

lets k.i.s.s. -------------- the Normans (french crown, backed by the pope) invaded and stole the land from the saxons..

the british are the parasites of the world, the english flag was used to rob and pillage many peoples land and future.
And pompusly sit around thinking they are entitled to it.

If I stole from everyone in my town, and my ancestors 200 years later are still living off of it....yet not just living off it, but actually proud of it???????????????????????????????

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

its really funny how a buncj of ignorant (unkowledgable) brits have no idea how the "crown" is even foreign to them.

lets k.i.s.s. -------------- the Normans (french crown, backed by the pope) invaded and stole the land from the saxons..

the british are the parasites of the world, the english flag was used to rob and pillage many peoples land and future.

If I stole from everyone in my town, and my ancestors 200 years later are still living off of it....yet not just living off it, but actually proud of it???????????????????????????????

I'm sure you'll get a response from one of our British ATS-members - I'm guessing that's what you were after here.

Whilst we're waiting for that, please allow me to comment:

In general terms, it's never good starting a tirade with a series of spelling mistakes - particularly when accusing a large group of a lack of knowledge.

As for the rest....yes, the Normans (mainly French) beat the Saxons. However, the Saxons (mainly German) had done much the same thing earlier and largely defeated the variety of people they found when they arrived. This story can be repeated again and again as we move further back. Things get murky when you go that far in history and attempt to map groups of migrating people onto a modern nation. That applies all across Europe. For example, those self-same Normans I previously described as "French" could really be a considered a mix of Vikings, Romans and whoever the Romans found when they ruled that area. It's not as simple as some would have you believe and, this may surprise you, I believe this is taught in European schools - certainly to a greater extent than it is in US ones.

Practically all flags have been used to rob and pillage. Empires and pseudo-Empires crop up throughout history in practically every continent. The British Empire is probably the largest, relatively recent one. You could also point to Spain, France, Egypt and many others. They all left their marks on the countries they controlled - some for good, and some for bad.

I don't know your background so can't really comment on the morality of living off the proceeds from the thieving activities of ancestors. I would suggest however that a large percentage of the World population are doing exactly that. I'd exclude the various native tribes but, aside from them, I can't think of any sizeable groups that aren't benefiting from the aggressive actions of their forefathers. Empire building still goes on today - I'm sure you can find examples of this close to home.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

You mean like the American flag is being used for now in modern times where war shouldn't exist in the civilised world?

Tut tut.

BTW, as the poster above said, if you are going to troll, learn spelling and grammar.

Thread already going on this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=12612529#pid12612529

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Actually, this thread was started first.

top topics

join