It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Templars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Do you think the Templars continued their organization underground after 1312? Do you know something I don't?

Did the Templars set up the banking societies in Switzerland?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
are you reffering to the Knights Templar?

it was the knights templar who built the rossyln abbey near edinburgh in 1446 i believe? am supposed to be going there soon

erm the date you provided 1312? i thought it was 1307 there was lots of them killed on friday the 13th? erm. i guess they wheres till around, am sure some of them must have surived. the knights templar where a product of the priory of sion.

about the swiss banking i have no idea?

rynaldo

[edit on 30-8-2004 by rynaldo82]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
are you reffering to the Knights Templar?
Yes I am

Originally posted by rynaldo82

erm the date you provided 1312? i thought it was 1307 there was lots of them killed on friday the 13th?

rynaldo
In 1307 they were just arrested by Philip the Fair. Then a royal investigation followed ended with royal statements that Templars were apostats. Then a papal investigation followed. The papal commission finished work in June 1311 and on autumn 1311 the Council of Vienne decided about the dissolution of Templars. The decision has been declared and executed in 1312

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
there is a great deal of discussion as to the Templars and Banking. there is
no doubt that they had a strong system of some type. the discussion runs
about 50/50 pro and con for them starting the forerunner of modern banking.
as with most things related to the Templars it can neither be proved or disproved conclusively. the same applies to their survival after the events of 1307-1314 with a stronger leaning to survival.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
may I suggest you have a look at

www.templarbooks.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

as with most things related to the Templars it can neither be proved or disproved conclusively.

But I hope it will be and would like to find out anything there is to know
Also I should visit the Gisors castle in Normandy

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I posted an announcement at my blog. Please see it

And too bad Hans-Christian Huf, the creator of the historical TV-book program that uncovered many secrets didn't handle the Templars' case

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
My knowledge of Templar history is rather hazy, but as far as I understand, some of them fled to Scotland and continued some kind of organization there. What it was exactly and to what degree it ws related to their previous activities is something I don't know offhand.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Templars and banking.....

Is it a coincidence that the flag of the Templars and the flag of Switzerland look so similar?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LTD602
My knowledge of Templar history is rather hazy, but as far as I understand, some of them fled to Scotland and continued some kind of organization there. What it was exactly and to what degree it ws related to their previous activities is something I don't know offhand.
I knew about that evacuation a week ago thanks to a forum in Poland but thanks for mentioning it. What it was exactly and to what degree it was related to their previous activities is something I want to know and I think Hans-Christian Huf might help me to find out so anyone who knows how to contact him or Ingo Hermann of the ZDF please post here or send me a U2U

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I am very interested to see any futher research into the vaults under Rosslyn Chapel, specifically more ground penetrating radar studies. Of course it would be very exciting to just take a jack hammer to the floor and see what is under that place. I believe one of the sonar/radar studies did yield evidence of a chamber of some type.

What about Rennes Le Cheteau? Was Templar involvment ever specically mentioned by Berenger Sauniere? He had to get the money from somewhere for all of the building, sculpture, etc....

Has anyone read the Hiram Key? very interesting, although some of the more intrepid Masonic scholars consider this book to be entirely speculative...but no less intriguing in my opinion....

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yes there was Templar activity in the area of Rennes Le Cheteau. the 4th
GM as i recall was from that area ( Blanchfort) there was a Templary in the
area.

I have also seen mention of at least 2 'special detachments' of Templars
in that region.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
NOTE:

If you decide to get any Templar information from "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", remember that Leigh and Baigent do not have the best reputations out there. Their work does not purport to be factual - they even admit to it. It is a series of speculations that are expounded on using what they feel *might* be corroborating evidence, though they do a poor job with alot of it.

Alot of interesting, insprational material in there, so read it for fun and to get some very basic background about the Templars. Just tread carefully.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

Is it a coincidence that the flag of the Templars and the flag of Switzerland look so similar?

No, but not for the reason you think. You see, the Swiss flag existed BEFORE the Templars... for more educated information on the templars, take a look at any book by Stephen Dafoe, or at:

Templar History or
Templar Review

[edit on 9/26/04 by theron dunn]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
After the Templar persecutions from 1307 to 1312, three high-ranking members of the order were burned in March 1314 - among them the Grand Master, Jacques de Molay. The tradition goes that as the flames burned him, Molay uttered a curse against the King of France, his adviser Guillaume de Nogaret and the Pope, citing them to appear before the Kingdom of God before the year was out, and cursing their families for thirteen generations.

Pope Clement V died 40 days after Molay's execution; Nogaret was poisoned a month later, and King Philip the Fair died of a stroke in November. All three of his sons reigned for a short while and died without male heirs.

As for the survival of the Templars, there are a lot of stories floating around... namely, I remember hearing (and I'll have to research this) a story related to the execution of Louis XVI in 1793. The story goes that when the kind was beheaded, someone in the crowd shouted "Jacques de Molay, you are avenged!"

I've also found a source (in French) noting that in Portugal, King Denis I authorized the survival of the Order after 1312, under the name Knights of Christ - in 1366, their main house is in the city of Tomar. In Scotland, King Robert Bruce (circa 1320) renamed the Templars Knights of the St. Andrew of Scotland. In 1593, 32 of these knights created the Royal Society, which became the root of Free Masonry.

Finally, a story goes (according to the same site in French - will find a reference in English) that before his death, Jacques de Molay transferred his powers to Brother Jean Marc Larmenius, and that the Order continued from there, through famous names (the noble French families of Armagnac, Orl�ans, Montmorency, Coss�-Brissac, among others). In 1804, a former priest, Bernard-Raymond Fabr�-Palaprat, revealed himself as the 22nd Grand Master of the Knights Templar and was recognized as such by Napoleon and by his successor, King Louis XVIII. Fabr�-Palaprat allegedly fabricated documents establishing his credentials. He conducted a big "coming out" ceremony for the Templars in March 1808, on the anniversary of Jacques de Molay's death, in Paris' Saint-Paul church. However, he is nowadays seen more as a charlatan than anything else.

www.cgagne.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Lol, no (no disrespect meant, it just gave me a chuckle) but it is more than coincidence that the Swiss guard which supposedly traces its roots to the Knights Templar finds commonality with the Vatican.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween

Lol, no (no disrespect meant, it just gave me a chuckle) but it is more than coincidence that the Swiss guard which supposedly traces its roots to the Knights Templar finds commonality with the Vatican.

From the Swiss Embassy Web Site:

www.eda.admin.ch...

The Origin of the Swiss Flag

Among the flags of contemporary European countries, that of Switzerland is one of the most ancient and one of the most modern. It has a white cross in a red field; the cross is the same length on all sides and each arm is one-sixth longer than its width. The flag looks back upon 700 years of history. To trace its origin, one must go right back to the very beginning of the Confederation. Already in the early Middle Ages, the cross was, more or less, commonly used on coins and seals and, as a symbol of the Christian faith, it was carried into battle on the banners of the various warring parties.

Documents and records show that the white cross, which appeared on the banner of Schwyz (one of the first Cantons which gave its name to Switzerland) in the year 1240, had been bestowed upon the Canton by the Emperor Frederick II as a token of its freedom. And from that time onwards, the citizens of the Confederation used a white cross, made of long strips of linen, as their common sign in battle to distinguish themselves from their enemies. Every man in the army either wore it on his tunic or on his armor. Although each Canton had its own flag in battle, every Swiss carried the white cross as his battle standard.

As the national flag, the white cross first appeared on a red background on the Confederation's seal in 1814. It has been officially in use since 1848, when Switzerland was transformed from a loose federation of different Cantons into the present Confederation with a central government. Its acceptance as the national flag is mainly due to the initiative of General Dufour.

The use of the red cross on a white background, which is actually the Swiss flag reversed, was granted to the International Red Cross to commemorate the organization founded by Henri Dunant, citizen of Geneva. Indeed, the plenipotentiaries of 35 nations, assembled in Geneva on July 6, 1906 to revise the "Geneva Convention," stated as follows in the enacting clause concerning the symbol of the International Red Cross: "To do homage to Switzerland, the heraldic arms of the Red Cross on a white field, which is formed by reversal of the Swiss Federal arms, shall be maintained as a distinctive emblem of the medical services of most armies.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Sorry Templars used a Red Cross on white background and the Order of st John (Knights of Malta) used a white cross on red background

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Sorry to but in with some bad news for you all but the "Red Cross" was not the ensignia of the Templars, it was the ensignia of "The Crusade."
The Templars ensignia was a pair of black and white triangular banners.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Sorry to but in with some bad news for you all but the "Red Cross" was not the ensignia of the Templars, it was the ensignia of "The Crusade."
The Templars ensignia was a pair of black and white triangular banners.

The Red Cross did LATER become the ensignia of Templars as the Black Cross became the ensignia of Teutonic Knights
The Red Cross was even of the Templars flag (half white, half black with the cross in the middle)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join