It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by Annee

And again ADHD and this seem to be different, totally different if you have not noticed that, I really don't see how you can compare the two.

*50's instructional TV video*

And this is what I like to call the "Anti-gay defense mechanism." It is easy as 1, 2 ,3.

Step one: Say _____ and _______ are completely different after you feel defeated, and follow that sentance with an insult to the person who said it or try to make the comparison seem illogical.

Step 2: Put your fingers in your ears.

Step 3: Repeat after me: LALALALALALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALA

LOL - - what gets me about the thought pattern of comparing ADHD to Hormone blockers (which I wasn't).

Which do you think is more harmful to the body? Ritalin or Hormone Blockers? Personally I'd say brain altering drugs.

Its in the mind - - - like a phobia because it involves puberty and reproduction.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I bet if you asked this little boy if which gender he was attracted to he wouldn't be able to give you the answer yet. I doubt he has any idea what sex is.

We are essentially a product of our environment. For those that disagree look back at your childhood and I'm sure you will recognize that who you are is a direct result of the influence of those closest to you. To not allow a boy to develop physically will stunt his mental and emotional development. It will alter his perception.

To feed him drugs that stunt his physical development at 11 IMHO is wrong on so so many levels. No 11 year old (and I remember myself at 11) is mature enough to make this sort of decision.. I cannot see how stunting his path to maturity can do anything but harm.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I bet if you asked this little boy if which gender he was attracted to he wouldn't be able to give you the answer yet. I doubt he has any idea what sex is.

What does gender have to do with sex? Especially for a child?

Some of you people really need to educate yourselves on Transgender children.

And get your heads out of the gutter.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

No 11 year old (and I remember myself at 11) is mature enough to make this sort of decision.. I cannot see how stunting his path to maturity can do anything but harm.

Were you a Transgender child?

Obviously not.

Perhaps you could watch the video posted on this thread and read some of the links.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm thinking about the child's future.. My mind is not at all in the gutter.. Sex whether you like it or not is part of life.. A lot of that has to do which gender you are attracted to..

I'm saying I doubt an 11 year old has the mental capacity to make this kind of decision.. As they are feeding him drugs halting his physical development.. I would think his decision is being influenced in the direction of sex change more than he realizes...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Are you a "Transgender" child?

Are you saying you support the parents decision to stunt the child's physical development?
edit on 21-10-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Are you a "Transgender" child?

Are you saying you support the parents decision to stunt the child's physical development?

NO - - but I have educated myself on this particular subject. Have you?

I support the child's decision to pursue known treatment to DELAY puberty - - giving her more time to understand herself and her unique natural birth difference.

What physical development is being stunted? That is a very ignorant statement.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'm thinking about the child's future..

NO - - YOU are NOT.

You are thinking about yourself.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by thebtheb
I think it would be best to let the child grow up before anything like this is tried. Identity is hardly formed by 11, so whatever this child is has yet to be seen, by him or anyone.

But - - that is exactly what this is about.

It gives the child a few more years to think about how she feels about it.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding that?

Because growing up, hitting puberty and living life as you already are, for many people, will be key in coming to the decision. Delaying puberty doesn't shed any light on who this boy will become - it just delays it. There ARE actually enough cases of people who have regretted switching sexes to treat the decision itself VERY carefully. Being 11 is a fine time to start thinking you might want to trans, so the child already has a supportive environment for that. Waiting should not be the hell others have experienced. But there are many issues at stake. Hormones are VERY important to the decision. Out of those who regret transgendering, the males who became females have a high incidence of having had their male hormones fueling the desire to become a woman. Once they became a women and had female hormones, they felt very differently. Yes, there is only a 3 to 5% regret rate, but regretting an essentially irreversible operation is not to be taken lightly. So hitting puberty, and seeing what your natural hormones have to say about the situation I think is vitally important. Warding them off is a rocky path.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphawhisky
I agree with the original poster. I don't hold any hatred towards gay people, but I reckon it is pretty unnatural to have two same sex parents.

Without even intending to, this same sex family environment could have influenced the child into this type of thinking. You can't know for sure though, but I definitely disagree with the drugs. It doesn't seem very ethical of a doctor to prescribe stuff like that to a child.

I would say let puberty hit and see what happens.

That's just not true. Most kids of gay couples are straight, just as most kids of straight couples are straight. All having gay parents might do is make your own denial of yourself a non-issue.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yes, there is only a 3 to 5% regret rate, but regretting an essentially irreversible operation is not to be taken lightly. So hitting puberty, and seeing what your natural hormones have to say about the situation I think is vitally important. Warding them off is a rocky path.

I do not take this lightly at all. But also - - I'm not coming from the place - - that this is wrong.

I do not have my mind closed to the "mixed soup" variants that make up humans.

I am raising an 11 year old right now. They are not ignorant children - - unless they've been very sheltered.

All her life she's wanted to be a dancer. Unfortunately - she really can't dance - and I was concerned how this would affect her self image. Yesterday she says to me: "I don't think being a dancer is the best thing for me. I'm really not flexible enough and dancers don't make very much money".

An 11 year old is very capable of working things out about themselves.

Treating an 11 year old like they are an ignorant child is probably one of the worst things a parent can do.

I think this Transgender child knows herself very well. And as you say - - support and guidance is essential.

I bet those who regret having a nose job is higher

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I agree with the original poster. I don't hold any hatred towards gay people, but I reckon it is pretty unnatural to have two same sex parents.

Without even intending to, this same sex family environment could have influenced the child into this type of thinking. You can't know for sure though, but I definitely disagree with the drugs. It doesn't seem very ethical of a doctor to prescribe stuff like that to a child.

I would say let puberty hit and see what happens.

That's just not true. Most kids of gay couples are straight, just as most kids of straight couples are straight. All having gay parents might do is make your own denial of yourself a non-issue.

Actually - the newest studies I read suggest (at least male) homosexuals has something to do with the genetic history of the birth mother.

I was raised by a disabled mother and grandmother. I must be all screwed up from that environment

Oh wait! What did I learn from that environment? Tolerance and understanding of others. Such a terrible thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

ADHD is an umbrella for many different behaviors - - attributed to some kind of brain dis-function or damage. You are stereotyping ADHD.

Is that what you think, or they say. Anyways do as you will, i think your just trying to start a fight with me, for whatever strange reason....But sorry I have other things on my mind at this moment.

I am a parent trying to do what is best for my child. Can you compare that?

Yes I can, if I so choose....But I don't chose to, so peace out Annee.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spw184

OK, I have not clue what your talking about. No really I am not joking! I have zero clue what that was supposed to mean.

But I like step number 2 and 3.

Step 2: Put your fingers in your ears.

Step 3: Repeat after me: LALALALALALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALA

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Yes, there is only a 3 to 5% regret rate, but regretting an essentially irreversible operation is not to be taken lightly. So hitting puberty, and seeing what your natural hormones have to say about the situation I think is vitally important. Warding them off is a rocky path.

I do not take this lightly at all. But also - - I'm not coming from the place - - that this is wrong.

I do not have my mind closed to the "mixed soup" variants that make up humans.

I am raising an 11 year old right now. They are not ignorant children - - unless they've been very sheltered.

All her life she's wanted to be a dancer. Unfortunately - she really can't dance - and I was concerned how this would affect her self image. Yesterday she says to me: "I don't think being a dancer is the best thing for me. I'm really not flexible enough and dancers don't make very much money".

An 11 year old is very capable of working things out about themselves.

Treating an 11 year old like they are an ignorant child is probably one of the worst things a parent can do.

I think this Transgender child knows herself very well. And as you say - - support and guidance is essential.

I bet those who regret having a nose job is higher

Agreed - we should not treat an 11 year old like they are ignorant. And it sounds like the lesbian couple would not do that. However, I give pause about treating an 11 year old as if they are a fully developed adult, which they are NOT, and again, I mention hormones which are very important in this case, which are NOT there yet.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spw184

I do not think she is doing any of these things. From the pictures shown of this kid, He is obviously feminine, and in todays world, that either means gay or transgender. Also, Dont be telling evvie about prejudices and hates, or if you do, practice what you preach.

Well it's obvious the kid is feminine, and if he wants to change his gender completely then that means she is transgender. But who knows now a days most people especially females I come across seem to be bisexual, among other things. Really I think what we have here is some sort of break down in communication, were everybody's labels even the same labels, such as gay, or transgender, mean different things to different people. Were all arguing about different things when were arguing about the same thing.

For instance like you some posts back, from what evolutionsend said that most transgender people don't like gay people. Not only did I not know that, I bet you most people don't even think there is a difference between them.

But sorry I don't not know who evvie is.

I think that this kid should wait untill he is in puberty to really tell, and that he should be homeschooled. I used to be like this kid (Not in that extreme) in the fact that i liked things that girls where supposed to like. It took me untill my sophmore year in highschool to get over the mental trauma and self-consiousness/insecurity that It caused.

I think he should wait for puberty to hit, because once it does no matter what drugs he is on....The natural effects of puberty will be stronger then those drugs, and if his choice was not a natural to sort of say choice...You best believe there will be problems.

But anyways, I think were all arguing over nothing really. In fact the kid seems to really be a transgender kid. And no doubt were just giving opinions on the whole thing, but who know how it will all turn out.

It might be part of it, It might not. We do not know. What we do know however, is that the only reason that the media picked up on this is because it was another LGBT + LGBT = LGBT story. I dont know what gay agenda you think we have, But i hear the straight agenda lound and clear.

lol Kid, everybody that is alive and is classed in any group has an agenda, it is part of life, it's embedded in nature no matter what they say, or even if they say otherwise....And every parent no matter what deep down, wants there kid to have a happy life, but also to carry on traits of them or there personas....So in essence gay people even same sex parents, would like to see more gay people or at least people more like themselves, on some level deep down. Straight people would like the same, and do the same.

Transgender people however, I do not know it seems weird to me, because they are born one thing, and say there are another, so in essence how can they have an agenda....I't makes no sense, does that mean they would want somebody to be like them, bee born in one body and have to change to another, or just be born in whatever body they are and want to be.

So as you can see yes to some extent there is a gay agenda, and there is a straight agenda. But I do not think there is such a thing as a transgender agenda, or if it is, I do not get it as of yet.

But anyways ya your right they picked this story and one of the major reasons was that it was a LBG + LBG=LBG couple as you say. But your wrong it did not =LBG, your math seems to be wrong on that. And in that case does anybody know what the kid in question prefers for a partner, males or females. Did I miss something?....Dammit I hate re reading stuff.

edit on 21-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

I wasn't really arguing that same sex parent’s equals gay children. I was thinking more along the lines of where did the ideas of taking drugs to halt puberty and having an operation to become a girl come from? How does an 11 year old know these things, maybe the lesbian parents are well educated on the subject?

I couldn't imagine an 11 year old making a doctor’s appointment and discussing the issue with a doctor like an adult to decide which option was best. There is so much physical and mental change to come for this child in the next decade it is ridiculous to even consider this type of action.

I just know how easy it is to put thoughts and ideas into a child’s mind.

edit: I just wanted to say, once he is given the opportunity to become a man, he may be very happy as a homosexual adult.
edit on 21-10-2011 by alphawhisky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

reply to post by thebtheb

I wasn't really arguing that same sex parent’s equals gay children. I was thinking more along the lines of where did the ideas of taking drugs to halt puberty and having an operation to become a girl come from? How does an 11 year old know these things, maybe the lesbian parents are well educated on the subject?

The child displays a need or communicates with the parent. The parent then researches help for their child.

The same way parents of any child who needs special care does. Doctors - internet - referral services - groups with similar needs.

AND/OR the child themself researches to find others like themself. An 11 year old today is very internet savvy.

There are also camps now for Trans-variant children.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

ADHD is an umbrella for many different behaviors - - attributed to some kind of brain dis-function or damage. You are stereotyping ADHD.

Originally posted by galadofwarthethirdIs that what you think, or they say. Anyways do as you will, i think your just trying to start a fight with me, for whatever strange reason....But sorry I have other things on my mind at this moment.

What is your personal knowledge on ADHD?

And it is not what I think.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

All Agreed - we should not treat an 11 year old like they are ignorant. And it sounds like the lesbian couple would not do that. However, I give pause about treating an 11 year old as if they are a fully developed adult, which they are NOT, and again, I mention hormones which are very important in this case, which are NOT there yet.

I do completely agree.

And I do understand it is a very very fine line to walk - - - between stopping development and experiencing natural hormone changes before making a decision.

Can anyone really make this decision - - other then the child herself? I know she is only 11 - - but who else can really make this decision? No one as far as I'm concerned - - - as long as she is going through all the precautionary psychological and other evaluations.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join