It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

www.foxnews.com

A lesbian couple in California who say their 11-year-old son Tommy who wants to be a girl named Tammy are giving their child hormone blockers that delay the onset of puberty -- so that he can have more time that he can have more time to decide if he wants to change his gender.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Canadian Couple Decides to Raise 'Genderless' Baby

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Please don't bash me for my personal opinion, but I honestly believe this is wrong on so many levels.

I feel like this child is being coerced into some alternative reality that no child should be forced to deal with.

It seems to me that this is all the parents will.

What say you?

(I also included a link to the thread about the Canadian couple trying something similar.)

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10/17/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Would you say that same thing if the parents were straight?

IMO it's the kid's choice. Personally I would not do it, but then again I have no real details about this kid and whether or not he truly is a transgender.

I would not jump the gun and blame the parents. They are probably doing the best thing for him, which is give him more time so HE can make the appropriate decision about his body.

Luckily my kids didn't turn out gay, I always knew growing up in a same sex environment could potentially have an effect on their sexual preference, but I've proven, at least personally that it's not enirely environmental.

Not that I would mind if one of my kids was gay, I just think it's a hard life to grow up in, I know I had a hell of a time.

In any case, as stated above, I reserve judgement for more details regarding this kid and really I would need the kind of information that's quite frankly none of my business..

So there..

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've been reading about this treatment for quite a while.

This probably made the news because it is a Lesbian couple

Sensationalism at its best.

+33 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

A lesbian couple in California who say their 11-year-old son Tommy who wants to be a girl named Tammy are giving their child hormone blockers

Is there a Life Blocker for either of these 'parents'..?

And once again, the same-sex-marriage proponents have to deal with the asinine amongst themselves, further affecting legislation to get this pushed through...talk about cutting of your own nose to spite your face.

11 years of life experience is not adequate to make this decision, especially when you're a Tool of those responsible for nurturing you...

link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Honestly, that's a good question. While I would like to think that I'm above that, I'm honest enough with myself to realize that I might be swayed by this fact. You will cause me to search deeper just by asking that question to me, so thank you.

In any case, as stated above, I reserve judgement for more details regarding this kid and really I would need the kind of information that's quite frankly none of my business..
So there..

Fair enough and I really appreciate your contribution.
extra DIV

link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Seriously doubt it. Its not something most parents would do "lightly".

There are camps now for children with sex/gender identity. Some as young as 4.

They're fine - - - society just needs to evolve.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
11 years of life experience is not adequate to make this decision

This is the problem I have most with it. How does an 11 year old make that decision? How does someone let an 11 year old make that decision?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
11 years of life experience is not adequate to make this decision, . . .

Yes - actually it is old enough.

Many (probably most) transsexuals/transgenders (also gay/lesbian) are aware of their sexual identity in their primary years.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'd agree with you Anne, but not with transgenders. Being gay is one thing, but knowing your a different gender trapped in another, is entirely different.

A lot of my transgendered friends said they weren't fully mature or ready to fully understand what was going on until their late teens, early twenties, some older than that.

So I agree that 11 is too young an age for anybody to go through that proceedure. The discussion though and the subsequent teaching of that child so they can make the best decision possible, when they are ready, is what's important.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Poor kid.

They're basically teaching him that it's ok. They are planting the seeds for a future disaster. I'm not being mean.

Gross.

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by freakjive

Seriously doubt it. Its not something most parents would do "lightly".

There are camps now for children with sex/gender identity. Some as young as 4.

They're fine - - - society just needs to evolve.

And, evolution doesn't mean teaching your children to cut their b***s off.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Yes - actually it is old enough.

Says you... (and I'm not looking to bash your opinion either) but I disagree personally.

I can say that at 11, I was worried about the next time I would go swimming or when I was going to learn to do a 360 on my BMX.

I know that everyone is different, but how does a child decide that they're going to be a different gender for the rest of their life before experiencing most of what life has to offer?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Im sorry, but I dont believe for one second that its the child's own logic thinking that brought him to this conclusion. Without him seeing what he seen and been in the environment hes currently in, i highly doubt he'd be feeling the way he is now.

Im not against same couple loving and what not, each to their own. But i feel if the two parents are going to take it upon their selves to raise a child in our current social climate, at least respect that its going to be hard for the child growing up.

You can all say its hyped, but at the end of the day maybe if the two ladies didnt feel so strongly about their own freedom of choice, the child wouldnt be as confused as he is now.

I'll give you a star, but people will just bash this thread, i can see where this is going.

edit on 17-10-2011 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is child abuse. Personal decisions like this should only be made by themselves when theyre adults.

Just like breast implants, circumcision, and baptisim. Children are not capable of making these choices for themselves and any parents that thinks they can make such a choice for their child shouldnt be parents.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Straight, crooked or bent, the ideations that have perverted this child are immoral.

IMO it's the kid's choice.

Your kidding right. You really believe that a child can make a rational, informed, decision? This is no different than allowing a child to smoke, drink alcohol, or handle firearms. But then, maybe your OK with that as well?

I would need the kind of information that's quite frankly none of my business..

So there..
~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

If you feel so noncommittal to allowing this type of child abuse, why comment at all?
edit on 17-10-2011 by Violater1 because: I can't figure out why the font changed?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This really does raise some difficult ethical questions.

1. I am going to be mercilessly flamed for this but having gender reassignment surgery and taking hormones does not change your gender in my opinion. Born a boy, you're still a boy, even if the best part of manhood is gone.

2. Do we really want to let a child this young make this decision? I wanted to do some REAL stupid crap when I was that age; I thought a tattoo of G.I. Joe would be cool as hell.

3. Is this something he could perhaps grow out of when puberty hit?

4. Has there been any male influence? I do worry he may think it's unnatural to have a penis or be a boy if his only role models were both women. I'm not knocking gay parents having kids, it's just a question that comes up.

5. What difference does it even make if he avoids puberty? Are they going to perform surgery at 16 or something? I know the hormones take awhile but I don't think a child, or his parents, should be allowed to make this decision until the child is 18.

6. Where does this end?

Whatever happened to being a kid? Many gay people say they knew when they were very young, but I think that's a whole different ball game (
) personally.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I would prefer such decisions to be made not by the child or parents, but mainly by a team of relevant medical professionals.

I also believe the correct course of action is to let the child develop naturaly until adolescence and then let him/her decide.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Wow, jumping to conclusions much are we?

Straight, crooked or bent, the ideations that have perverted this child are immoral.

Again, blaming the parents with little to no information of the circumstances. Keeping it classy are we?

Your kidding right. You really believe that a child can make a rational, informed, decision? This is no different than allowing a child to smoke, drink alcohol, or handle firearms. But then, maybe your OK with that as well?

Don't cherry pick the quote. I said it was the kid's choice, once he was old enough to make that decision for himself.

you feel so noncommittal to allowing this type of child abuse, why comment at all?

I'd love to hear why you think it's child abuse, but I'm sure you'll have some arbitrary and personal opinion as to what that is, so it would be a moot point would it not?

Just out of curiosity do you not think that if they were "indoctrinating" this child that somebody would have taken notice? Perhaps called social services and had them make a quick stop in to make sure everything was ok?

Do you think that doctors prescribe this treatment lightly? What you think they broke into the clinic and stole the meds?

Either way, I don't think it's right to do so at 11 years old, but he's not my kid, not my choice. And again I don't have enough information to make that decision, and neither do you.

It's really easy to sit here and judge somebody with little to no detail.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I'll give you a star, but people will just bash this thread, i can see where this is going.

I agree that this thread might stir the emotions of a lot of people and we will see a divide in thinking. If nothing else, I look to gain insight into the thinking of the supporters, as I cannot see how the child wins in this situation.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just out of curiosity do you not think that if they were "indoctrinating" this child that somebody would have taken notice? Perhaps called social services and had them make a quick stop in to make sure everything was ok?

I know that wasn't directed at me but I have to say not in this day and age.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join