It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Therapy for Pre-Teen Transgender Patient Raises Questions

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I really dont understand how allowing the child to go through puberty as a male would really help this situation. The child is obviously already uncomfortable with his male form, puberty would just make him more male and more emotional. Which would most likely just exacerbate the problem. Add in the fact that fifty percent of transgender persons admit to at least one suicide attempt I think his parents are doing the right thing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphawhisky
reply to post by thebtheb

I wasn't really arguing that same sex parent’s equals gay children. I was thinking more along the lines of where did the ideas of taking drugs to halt puberty and having an operation to become a girl come from? How does an 11 year old know these things, maybe the lesbian parents are well educated on the subject?

I couldn't imagine an 11 year old making a doctor’s appointment and discussing the issue with a doctor like an adult to decide which option was best. There is so much physical and mental change to come for this child in the next decade it is ridiculous to even consider this type of action.

I just know how easy it is to put thoughts and ideas into a child’s mind.

edit: I just wanted to say, once he is given the opportunity to become a man, he may be very happy as a homosexual adult.
edit on 21-10-2011 by alphawhisky because: (no reason given)

Actually, in this case, the lesbian couple knew nothing about being transgender. They said they found it "hard to wrap our heads around it." So it was after seeing doctors that all this was decided.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I am 16 years old, and a transgender. I want to become a female.

I will never have the sheer luck that this child has had; she has unique, understanding parents, early access to horomone treatments that will allow her to look beautiful someday, and she will never be alone.

By contrast, I live with parents who I am too afraid to talk to about my problem, no access to any doctors or psychiatrists that can provide me with vital horomone treatments and other care - By the time I get these, it may very well be too late to stop the masculinity developing in my body from being dominant and easily visible. It makes it so much harder to transition when people will look at you and ask themselves, 'Is this a man? Because the shape of his face, the broadness of his shoulders, his height tell me this.'

If I had androgen blockers (which do nothing but prevent puberty-causing horomones from being absorbed) at the age of 11, I may very well be a pretty young girl right now. Since I did not, I will have to make do with second best. Someday. Maybe never.

I am alone. She is not.

Those of you who feel disgusted by this should realize that just because we are children does not mean we don't know what we're talking about. I knew about my problem from a very young age, I dreamed of it literally, imagining when I was younger that maybe I would be granted magic wishes so that I could be free someday. I'm an avid reader, and I've been reading since I was three years old. I was interested in politics and history when I was ten, and by eleven I could most certainly make choices like the ones she is currently making.

Actually, I'm really very insulted by those of you that say just because we are children, our opinions, hopes, dreams, needs, and tears fall on deaf ears. I would be even sadder if you said this only because my parents were of the same sex. What more understanding parents could I have? What parents could be more loving, less repressive, than those who could relate to me?

Is the world really so bigoted? So far it appears the answer is yes - it will be a long time before we are accepted and loved. Until then, children like myself will have to endure. The rare few will get lucky, like this girl has. God bless her.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
zany, thanks for speaking up about this. I can't imagine how difficult it must be when the physical doesn't match what your brain is telling you. you are young so I am glad we got your perspective, and the couple of posters who are transgendered... glad you posted...people need first hand information to understand better.

there were some very hateful posts here and that makes me sad....too much hate in the world...so not good... chaz bono said that every day when she woke up she hoped she would be a boy...this is not some passing fancy.....like others have posted ...you have many dr appointments and psychiatric appointments and you live as the other sex for at least a year while on hormones. before any surgery.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zanysami
I am 16 years old, and a transgender. I want to become a female.

Zany - - - thanks.

One can actually feel the sincerity in your words.

I hope something happens for you soon.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by I Want To Believe
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Who we are is determined by what type chromosome we have -- XX or XY -- male or female.

What about individuals born with XXY or XXXY chromosomes? Are they male or female? (And yes, these chromosomal abnormalities do exist. Klinefelter's Syndrome is one such)

Gender is not binary. It is actually a spectrum.You may look up situations like this, or people who are Intersexed.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kind words. I'm glad some people in the world actually care. It's enough to give me a little more hope.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zanysami

Well personally I do not hate or am bigoted towards this.

But it is a bit illogical, so I do have a hard time warping my head around it, and not because I care for one way or another or hate either way, it is just something that logically makes no sense and I have a hard time seeing how it would come about. But if I really tried I can know how such a thing came about, it's just I do not want to. And it is kind of a confusing topic to get your head around, and when it involves emotions of people and even my own, it gets a bit confusing.

And that does not even add other people and there perspectives and opinions and prejudices on it, and don't even get me started on possible agendas. Or the things that if some one wanted to they could make a child believe unconditionally, not saying this is the case. But it has happened in the past to some lengths that you would not believe if someone told you.

So forgive me if I do not trust everything I read on the internet, or what people say. I have seen to much and know to much to not take everything with a grain of salt. But regardless of that I really hope the kid, and you and every other transgender person out there get's what they want. If you and there all true then it wont be an easy road, but still believe me or not, there are much more harder roads out there, and everybody has there trials and tribulations.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I just got back from camping and Im sorta too lazy to go back and read the past 7 pages. can sombody fill me in on what the topic has turned too?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The only question that should be here:

Why the hell is this any of my business??? Or conversely, anyone's business but the kid and his family?

M.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet

Why the hell is this any of my business??? Or conversely, anyone's business but the kid and his family?

M.

What one family may do in private, others may do. All we are doing here is offering social commentary.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Awareness - Acceptance - Education

And - - I would certainly read articles that are not on FOX.

You can search by the parent's names: Pauline Moreno and Debra Lobel,

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I really hope that my name is never google searchable.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

Oh it is.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TigaHawk
reply to post by LexiconV

For the people whom think a hormone inbalance is just moodswings, you're wrong. If i stop taking a souped-up version of the contraceptive pill, 1mth after its cleared out of my system im staring at every set of boobs that walks past, you're personal preferences change, and yes the up-down rollercoaster of emotions came back too, but im just trying ot use this as an example, on how much hormones play a part in who you are and what you do. Denying them the chance to kick in, and allowing the child to mature naturaly is like denying them the oportunity to see their own face in the mirror.

Does that make you a medicated lesbian?
edit on 24-10-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

.... well google is providing lots of results re your user name of course. There's a Simon (plus surname) @ twitter attached to a user identical to yours. Could be anyone though.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

I think your post was about as clear as anyone can get on this issue. I find this unfortunate because it seems as though the parents probably led the kid towards this. I am not homophobic in the least bit but I think this is how this came about:
Lesbian couple has child
Child displays seemingly effeminate qualities
Instead of waiting till child is in his teens to talk with him about sexuality they do this around 7
Tell child its okay to be gay(it is but let it happen naturally)
Child tries to be what he thinks gay men are
Child then wants to become woman

Sad. Truly sad.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
@ above poster: I dont think children should even be CONSIDERING sexuality at that age.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamusic

I think your post was about as clear as anyone can get on this issue. I find this unfortunate because it seems as though the parents probably led the kid towards this. I am not homophobic in the least bit but I think this is how this came about:
Lesbian couple has child

You haven't read very many posts in this thread have you?

LGBT is NOT a group think. Being gay/lesbian does not mean you are informed or educated in regard to Transgender children.

Read the article. These parents were no different then straight parents in understanding Transgender.

Being gay/lesbian has NOTHING to do with this subject - - - except FOX NEWS exploiting it - - - BECAUSE the parents are Lesbian.

The majority of parents of Transgender children are actually straight.
edit on 24-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamusic

Lesbian couple has child

You haven't read very many posts in this thread have you?

LGBT is NOT a group think. Being gay/lesbian does not mean you are informed or educated in regard to Transgender children.

Read the article. These parents were no different then straight parents in understanding Transgender.

Being gay/lesbian has NOTHING to do with this subject - - - except FOX NEWS exploiting it - - - BECAUSE the parents are Lesbian.

The majority of parents of Transgender children are actually straight.
edit on 24-10-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

Example: im gay. I am completely ignorant to this subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join