It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portuguese military says "if people riot, it will side with them, not the government"!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Portugal isn't Egypt. This sort of thing needs to be taken on a case by case basis IMO because every country is just a little different from the next.

I can only hope that the militaries of other countries are taking heed of the words out of the Portuguese military. The mindest of the protests in NYC had taken off like wildfire across the world, so too will the mindset of the Portuguese military I think.

Change from coporate greed and the ramifications that come from it can only bring good things whether that change comes from common men and women or the militaries that protect them.

It's the mindset that is the most important here.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hmm, How they going to get into the states?
And wouldn't the government consider that a terrorist plot?
You even think that this is wise?

Grant it some get out of line. But, I think this will just add more chaos and fuel to the fire.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

Very impressive . They are the ones being taken down now in Europe . I guess they are not so brainwashed as the US and other more intangled countries in the corporate web .

Or the people themselves as a whole are not as stupid . Can still manage to think free thoughts . Maybe they dont inoculate their armies like the US does . As for the US police force . There is something seriously wrong with them or tell me are they purely a reflection of the general mass of the peoples mindset ??? I love to know that one .

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This paves the way for a revolution? In a manner of speaking I suppose. Could be paving the way for a military coup... which could be fantastic.. or horrible for the citizens. I do believe the Portuguese mil already understand the might of the citizenry... I guess it will depend on who is calling the shots when the sitting govt is overthrown as to the fate of the people in the end.

Anymore Im just hesitant to get all excited about these turbulent times bringing positivity.. things are so ripe for exploitation these days with our global system. I hope it is truly what the people want and will be positive for them. Portugal is beautiful and there is a poster from there that I truly respect.. hope he is safe and stays safe.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by FlySolo

Portugal isn't Egypt. This sort of thing needs to be taken on a case by case basis IMO because every country is just a little different from the next.

I can only hope that the militaries of other countries are taking heed of the words out of the Portuguese military. The mindest of the protests in NYC had taken off like wildfire across the world, so too will the mindset of the Portuguese military I think.

Change from coporate greed and the ramifications that come from it can only bring good things whether that change comes from common men and women or the militaries that protect them.

It's the mindset that is the most important here.

I understand. However, i think you should take a look at this
www.occupywallst.org... g-from-a-former-tea-party/

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I am a little concerned about this announcement. Although I whole heartedly agree this world situation cannot continue, as soon as I read this I remembered Egypt. Wasn't the military there supporting the people? But look what's happened now...it appears to me the military are running the country as Egypts elections which were promised for September I last heard/read have still not happened.
Rainbows
Jane

Very good point. The Egyptians, and the Portugese, should not be so naive to think that the military will be quick to turn the reigns of power over to "the people".

Portugal, be prepared to live under a military regime!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It's good to know that some military powers still know their purpose.
It's unfortunate that the U.S. military (at least most of it) don't remember their purpose.
I would side with my military if they would side with me first.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
That, friends and neighbors, sounds like an invitation to start a revolution. And when the armed forces gives you an invitation, you know it's a trap 99 times out of 100.

Why does it have to be a trap? The military led the Carnation Revolution to end fascist rule in 1974. There is no reason to suggest they wouldn't be able to lead another today. In fact in should be easier to do so in a democracy since the military is truly in place as protection for the people.

Portugal has experienced military-led revolution before so that could explain why they are throwing the idea out there as a threat to protest austerity measures. The real question out of all of this is why the hell hasn't Greece's military announced the same. # has truly hit the fan there and we'd probably see real action the day after any announcement.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hey, hey hey...hold on a second!

Of course i respect all the readers here because only a very few, for sure, can speak and understand Portuguese on this Board. (sometimes the google translator cannot make 100%sense at all)

So, here it goes. I am Portuguese, i Live in my Beloved Portugal, and for this occasion, i can also tell you that my Dad its a retired Military Official.
First this very new DO NOT depict at all the majority feeling of the entire Portuguese Military Forces, including Air Force, Navy and Army.
The news linked here:

economico.sapo.pt...

Refers only to a Syndicate of Sargeants...wich for sure do not speak for the rest of the colleagues. Some of them even maybe voted on the actual Prime-Minister.

What they are trying to say( and i fully respect it), its not "we are going to rebellion", but "if things goes wrong we do not like this government policies, standing on people's side", wich (and truth must be said), imho are the only option to take us out of the actual crisis...People in Portugal always lived above their own possibilities, having a vast percentage of families 2 or 3 cars, 5 phone mobiles and every one at the age of 22 maybe, starts/tries to buy a home(not rent), not because it is needed, but because the neighbour also have!
We live on appearences!

We can have tons of politicians, from left to right, but with this way of thinking, no one can achieve anything without a lil bit of sacrifice!

People here in Portugal are crying "we dont have a job and we want to work" »»» False
Or better, some ones its true, but others its simply hipocrisy...They prefer to stay at home, depending only of the unemployment subsidies, watching the brazilians and ucranians working for them.
Students some of them cries for justice and a better work, but unfortunately, thousands of them only burns mom and dad's money (earned with bloody sacrifices sometimes), in Universities parties, alcohool and stupid things.
Only a few really takes things very seriously...

Another thing that unfortunately has some abundance here in Portugal its the old thinking story of the "Poor and the MercedeS"»»»
Normally in other cultures when a poor see a guy in a big car he thinks for himself:
"One Day i will have a Mercedes like You"
In Portugal:
"One day you will be beggaring as me"

If someone or anything here its well and nice, the purpose of the rest its not to follow and try to achieve him(her), but to throw it down..((( ( "we" dont worry if a thousand are living in poverty, but "our" concern its if a mere 12 are rich!

Revolutions or pseudo-revolutions could be made in one day, in one night, etc, etc...but changing peoples minds takes more than 50 years or so...

We have some very wise men on the military scene here...but for Christ sake, and also taking in mind that we are not Corruption-Free, and other nasty things as well, its not a Military Revolution that would put our country in the right way.
Military are made to work on the military fields, not to rule and do the govern of Countries, specially in an advanced Europe, IMHO.
A very long dictatorship was ended many years ago...we dont want to start another one, with or without the military.
OK, Lets say it»»» The Military starts a Coup/Rebellion Tonight for instance, so here it goes the basic questions:

A) Will we have a job tomorrow?
- NO

B) Will we have money in our banks tomorrow?
- NO

C) Some people wanna start to work tomorrow, instead of seeing others working for them?
-NO

It useless and its a total meaningless shot in the dark. If such thing occurs in these days would be the most stupid, idiot and devastating thing for us all, our families, children and next generations. Would launch our country into deep poverty and untrust.
We are not Greece, we are not Egypt, We DO HAVE some real problems, but even with or without a military help, none of them would be fixed...Only Wisdom, Common Sense and Patience, my 2 cents

edit on 16-10-2011 by AngelsDecay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

That's no surprise. Our military already saved us from a Dictatorship before. We are nice people but we still have our strong Latino side which doesn't let us take crap from anyone, specially bureaucrats... A Roman General once said to the Emperor: There is a strange people in the Western part of Iberia. , they don't govern themselves and they don't let anyone else do it.

Still applies to this day.

I surely hope this happens, It could be an example to other countries.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelsDecay
Hey, hey hey...hold on a second!

Of course i respect all the readers here because only a very few, for sure, can speak and and understand Portuguese on this Board. (sometimes the google translator cannot make 100%sense at all)

So, here it goes. I am Portuguese, i Live in my Beloved Portugal, and for this occasion, i can also tell you that my Dad its a retired Military Official.
First this very new DO NOT depict at all the majority feeling of the entire Portuguese Military Forces, including Air Force, Navy and Army.
The news linked here:

economico.sapo.pt...

Refers only to a Syndicate of Sargeants...wich for sure do not speak for the rest of the colleagues. Some of them even maybe voted on the actual Prime-Minister.

What they are trying to say( and i fully respect it), its not "we are going to rebellion", but "if things goes wrong we do not like this government policies", wich (and truth must be said), are the only option to take us out of the actual crisis...People in Portugal always lived above their own possibilities, having each family 2 or 3 cars, 5 phone mobiles and every one at the age of 22 maybe, starts to buy a home(not rent), not because it is needed, but because the neighbour also have!
We live on appearences!

We can have tons of politicians, from left to right, but with this way of thinking, no one can achieve anything without a lil bit of sacrifice!

People here in Portugal are crying "we dont have a job and we want to work" »»» False
Or better, some ones its true, but others its simply hipocrisy...They prefer to stay at home, depending only of the unemployment subsidies, watching the brazilians and ucranians working for them.
Students some of them cries for justice and a better work, but unfortunately, thousands of them only burns mom and dad's money (earned with bloody sacrifices sometimes), in Universities parties, alcohool and stupid things.
Only a few really takes things very seriously...

Another thing that unfortunately has some abundance here in Portugal its the old thinking story of the "Poor and the MercedeS"»»»
Normally in other cultures when a poor see a guy in a big car he thinks for himself:
"One Day i will have a Mercedes like You"
In Portugal:
"One day you will be beggaring as me"

If someone or anything here its well and nice, the purpose of the rest its not to follow and try to achieve him(her), but to throw it down..((( ( "we" dont worry if a thousand are living in poverty, but "our" concern its if a mere 12 are rich!

Revolutions or pseudo-revolutions could be made in one day, in one night, etc, etc...but changing peoples minds takes more than 50 years or so...

We have some very wise men on the military scene here...but for Christ sake, and also taking in mind that we are not Corruption-Free, and other nasty things as well, its not a Military Revolution that would put our country in the right way.
Military are made to work on the military fields, not to rule and do the govern of Countries, specially in an advanced Europe, IMHO.
A very long dictatorship was ended many years ago...we dont want to start another one, with or without the military.
OK, Lets say it»»» The Military starts a Coup/Rebellion Tonight for instance, so here it goes the basic questions:

A) Will we have a job tomorrow?
- NO

B) Will we have money in our banks tomorrow?
- NO

C) Some people wanna start to work tomorrow, instead of seeing others working for them?
-NO

It useless and its a total meaningless shot in the dark. If such thing occurs in these days would be the most stupid, idiot and devastating thing for us all, our families, children and next generations.
We are not Greece, we are not Egypt, We DO HAVE some real problems, but even with or without a military help, none of them would be fixed...Only Wisdom and Patience, my 2 cents

Lol, we can't be from the same Country. What kind of image of Portugal is that, the people you hang out with? Yeah, some people are like that, just like in any country but most of us definitely aren't like that.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
In basic terms some our military betrayed the country in 25 of April 1974, but in fact others came after, and saved us all in 25 November 1975. So, we hope at least that the second ADN wave could still be present nowadays...we all hope

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vehemens

Vehemens, i fully respect your point of view, but this is my way of seeing the actual things. I could be very wrong cause i assume »»» "I am not the owner of the Truth"
But for the time being, i see things like this...my personnal way; Saúde

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
why cant our military here in the USA be as cool as those guys are?
2nd

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Sounds like a declaration of civil war! This Occupy Revolution will end up in World War III.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Too bad America's amry will say we will side with whoever pays us the most

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
i'm not Portuguese. i don't know any Portuguese. i am, however, VERY proud of the Portuguese. the fact that this has been said somewhere on our planet is encouraging. very honorable imo.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
i'm not Portuguese. i don't know any Portuguese. i am, however, VERY proud of the Portuguese. the fact that this has been said somewhere on our planet is encouraging. very honorable imo.

Sorry to disappoint you my friend, but this is only a small and insignificant syndicate of a few left-hand revolted sargeants without anything more to say, and called the media saying such thing in order to call the attention, like many other times in the past! Times are though, we all know and recognize that, true, but...
As i told you before they do not makes us proud of them...only scare. Some Military betrayed the country in 1974, we dont need that twice!
Do they have any plan if a revolution starts? Who's gonna rule the destiny of the country after it? A group of sargeants???
With what? Money are in the banks, outside of Portugal...Are those "Silly Brave Military Men" who have the light at the end of the tunnel?
C'mon, give me a break, they simply cannot invent money out of nothing, jobs out of nothing, economy and development out of nothing...nothing from nothing

They even dont have enough working arms with last updatings, and almost no one here in Portugal with a little bit of common sense gave them some kind of an extra-attention. I really cannot understand how can this be discussing in this board at a first page?

Instead of pretending being awesome, they should start listening to something awesome too...Hail m/

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-10-2011 by AngelsDecay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I can't see anyone in their right mind taking up arms against their own people, it just won't happen. At least not for long.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
If the military has said this, what the hell is stopping the people from marching to the public institutions and taking control, putting in a president chosen by the people and enforcing it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join