It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portuguese military says "if people riot, it will side with them, not the government"!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+100 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Got this from a portuguese-speaking friend's husband's facebook update

"This is really interesting. Basically, the Portuguese military has come out and announced that if the people riot, they are on the side of the people, not the government. Also, when journalists asked the military if they planned to revolt, their only response was "Revolutions are not announced ahead of time."

The original Portuguese news article: economico.sapo.pt...

The Google Translation in English of the same:
translate.google.com... avisam-governo-que-estao-com-a-populacao-contra-a-austeridade_129069.html

A relevant snippet from horrible English translation:

The military thus ensure that "serve the Portuguese people and not private institutions," and warns, "Let no one dare to think that the armed forces can be used in the repression of social upheaval that these measures may cause."

wow. how can you not love it (and the Portuguese)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Brilliant news,if others followed it would be great! The military are after all just everyday people like me and you

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

we can spread this to america, read this to find out how:
READ THIS PLEASE

wow, people flag this!
thats great news, i hope other nations follow this example
i think their army obviously realises they are paid by the gov. and in turn wont be getting paychecks soon enough anyway.
looks like this might be the first country to have a sucsessful revolution in the occupy revolution..
edit on 16-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
If this is True ??? Then we are not that far away from a real division between those who leads us and those who protect them.....!

Portugal is not a third world junta, dictatorship but a European nation, (in debt....yes) but aren't we all ? For the military to say this wether ''off the record'' or for the record....... is actually an interesting and worrying step i think !

Regards

PDUK

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Finally some people in power with testicular fortitude i hope the police departments feel the same way, i could only hope something like this happens here in the US.

NYPD: to protect and serve the public oops forgot that silly motto on the car door did they?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yeah for the first time I'm seeing govt. employees act like REAL HUMANS and siding for what's right and not just silently 'obeying orders' like killing-zombie-machines for their perceived bosses (government & corporations).

They have said it like it is, that they are not a repression-tool, but created to serve & protect the citizenry.

Let's hope this sentiment spreads to the other soldiers/cops in the world, who may be brainwashed to do whatever the bosses tell them, even kill/hit/arrest the same people who on their off-duty days are neighbors, shopkeepers, their children's school teachers, friends etc.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If that isnt a Green Light for the portuguese to revolt what is?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
You hit the nail on the head with that comment!!!! That is exactly how i read it maybe they are sick of wondering if they are going to keep getting paid Portugal is in serious economic problems and rule #1 is always pay the military they must be upset at the 40% reduction in military spending
www.europeaninstitute.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gibbajabba
Brilliant news,if others followed it would be great! The military are after all just everyday people like me and you

It's gratifying to see some part of the globe that still has it's humanity. I'm happy for them.

On the other hand, most of our military is zoned-out "just following orders". They have killed millions, kidnapped, tortured, raped and looted. And now, we have our very own domestic command -- NorthCom. Lucky us.

I don't think we will fare so well as Portugal when TSHTF.

edit on 16-10-2011 by journal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Oh wow if this is true. How will the Portuguese Government react to this. I do wonder if this would happen in other countries. If the Governments from those countries brought out their, Military to quench the protests. Knows for a fact do not count on the Police to be on your side.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Just trying to *bump* this thread - not enough people are seeing it .... it needs to be flagged loads more!! I can't flag my own posts

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainychica
Just trying to *bump* this thread - not enough people are seeing it .... it needs to be flagged loads more!! I can't flag my own posts

BUMP
agreed we need this known

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As a member of ATS who lives in Portugal i can say this has been the general feeling for a while now ....the measures the Government has brought in are doing nothing but hinder the recovery , most people are now feeling very disappointed and are feeling the `pinch`

there has been a lot of demonstrations and blocking of roads etc over the last 6 months. a lot of the demonstrations last month were the Police themselves as they had not been paid and their pensions were in threat.

so in summary i could easily see it happening here.

snoopyuk

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
What really shows the strength and solidarity of a people is if their military refuses to harm them. Think about it, the military is made up of people who are of the people but have been trained to work on the side of the government, in a way they are the middle-man. If they pick the side of the people in any government anywhere the government is gone, end of story. Who will fight for them? No one, their guards are gone if the military sides with the people. It brings great pleasure to see that there are still nations in the West where the people truly care about their citizens and nation, not big banks and multinational corporations who own the technocrats in government.

Portuguese members of ATS, this is your time. What is holding you back now? If this is true then you have chosen voluntary oppression and pillaging, rise up there will be no fight except the local police. They are nothing if the military is called in then sides with you.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Just a pity the Military in the UK cannot come out and say this.

It would give the people of the UK more confidence in confronting those who are destroying the country. But off course they cannot.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wow very interesting, I wonder if this will happen in the US, or will all our hidden money be used to keep the police and military paid if our economy continues to tank, to stop it from happening...
edit on 16-10-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wow!!!

If this really is for real, then WOW!!

edit on 16-10-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Please fix the translation link.

TIA (second)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Police and the military are conditioned to take orders and never question authority. It's the only way governments keep their people under control and wage war.

Unfortunately, the police and military are conditioned just like the German Nazis. They don't morally question their enforcement or violence on their fellow citizens. Those that do care, are scared of the consequences if they refuse to take orders. They need their jobs like everyone else. The only way they refuse to take orders is if it's agreed upon by the majority.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

It won't let me edit the OP as it's over 4 hours old, but all you need to do is go to translate.google.com, and paste economico.sapo.pt... into it, and choose portuguese > english and it'll bring it up.

Btw, you can also surf to the original site in google chrome browser and it'll automatically offer to translate

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join