It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Hollywood inspired the intelligence services or vice versa.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I know this may seem a silly question to some but its just somethin that popped into my head one night. Are Hollywood movies inspiring the intelligence agencies in the way of intell gathering procedures and methods and also the use of weapons. There are plenty of films out there that are so clever that i have to wonder if the intell get ideas and hints from the the sophistication and abilitys of some of these films or is it the other way round or is it just not connected at all. I know some people have theorys about the goverments being involved in certain films in a way to conditioned us for a future event but i suppose thats a different story altogether. Any ideas ????

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well from what I've heard, a lot of the ideas used in movies have had plans made or put into practise by organisations for there own use... the use of teleportation in star trek was achieved when a laboratory in Japan was able to teleport an laser beam, the creation and storage of dark matter (although for a very short period of time) light speed travel based upon the therories of old Albo Einstein etc... The idea that we will create artificial intelligence and that it will eventually dominate us (Terminator, Matrix..) are all too real concepts that could happen as it is the main purpose of intelligent life to survive... the most worrying concept is that previous sci-fi idea has been put into practise already (George Orwells 1984 doesn't seem too far from todays society really).. so whats gonna be next then..........

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Dont know but you make some good points. Thing is where does Hollywood get all its info from. There is no way that guys just think that stuff up.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Dont know but you make some good points. Thing is where does Hollywood get all its info from. There is no way that guys just think that stuff up.

There are several ways they can get it.

Some tiems they do think them up. Something they have seen before, or read about, they will take and change it so it suits the film. Or

They'll go and talk to the security firms for research, and find out what they do, and use that. But ofcourse there are restrictions on what they can do, without giving away all the secrets...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Maybe the intelligence services get people to create a film based on something that IS secret so that anyone who actually believes it will be belittled and thought of as stupid and paranoid for believing a film... just a thought.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I have heard that after every new James Bond Movie comes out there is always people in the CIA asking if we have that type of gadget. One case I remember had to do with a mini scuda tank type thing that gave James Bond a few minutes of air underwater. People from the goverment came to the people that made the movie to find out more about this strange device. They ask one of the guys that made the Bond gear how long of a air supply it would give a person. He smiled and said How long can you hold your breath?

Then you have case like the movie Predator with his Camo. People at the Pentagon watch that movie and stated they want that,and the seem to be getting very close to it.

Even Cops get in on this type of stuff. The vest worn by Cops in the movie Robo Cop inspired more then one police department to see if they could have some made for them. The lady that made them told them sure she could do it but they wouldnt be bullet proof

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, sometime after 9-11, the government did work/consult with hollywood to get ideas on things to look for, methods that could be employed, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's true-Life imitates art imitates life imitates art.....

top topics

join