It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My girlfriend and I are getting a dog, but which one ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My wife had never had a dog growing up so I bought her one when we got married. I was in the Marine Corps and living in an apartment so I went with a smaller dog (Maltese). Now that we are in a bigger place I plan on getting a Australian Shepherd or English bulldog. I hated small dogs till I got one, now I'm on the fence about them.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OccupyPlanet

I agree with that sentiment. It should be known however that pitbull's require lots of exercise both on and off the leash. As do most other high energy breeds.
I'm partial to my pitbull, he's a little over 2 years old. Sweet and very playful.

ATS picture upload isn't working so here's a few pics.
(the last pic.. yes that's a little jewel on his "jewels". He sat down and it stuck to him
)

img.photobucket.com...
img.photobucket.com...
img.photobucket.com...
edit on 10-10-2011 by Mellok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

Considering the title of your thread, i think this is what your looking for ?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

huh?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
i would not get a witch one,they can be too crafty.just kidding,i have a cane corso and a dogue de bourdeaux,they are both awesome dogs,both very large and huggable,also they are great with our three kids.really its like having five kids.good luck with your new pup,no matter WITCHone you choose,

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

hahahaha i love it

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Siberian Huskey. Can I make a suggestion. One that is all white.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Witch = as in wicked witch of the west, like in wizard of Oz.

Which = as in which one.

You made me do a grammar police thing now, which i hate, but have to because of this.

Originally posted by NoClue206

huh?

edit on 10-10-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

try a springer they are class work and play well

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Witch dog.. hah, thx for the laugh, fixed it.. im just crazy dane with some bad english

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The German Shepard is a good choice, but stay away from the Husky. A Husky is high strung and you really should only have a dog like that if you live in a rural area and have a large property. They are also very aggressive.

Black Labs make wonderful pets and are about the most popular because of how easy they are to train and their personalities. However you have the same issue that they need lots of room. Best you avoid most Working Dogs in a city environment. They simply are not happy unless they have lots of room to run and be active.

What kind of dog should I get? LINK
Dog Breed Selector
American Kennel Club Link for good info.

Remember that many breeds live from 12 to 20 years and the financial commitment. Feed them good brands of food and they will live longer and be healthier. Used to be for instance a Lab would live about 10 to 12 years, but now with the right food they often make it 14 to 16 years.

The right food is actually cheaper because they eat less and the reward that also comes from high quality food is they leave far less land mines on the lawn. Cheap food net's you mountains of crap and a short lived dog.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

No the huh was because you posted it as a reply to my post, this isn't my thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectrumSeven

try a springer they are class work and play well

en.wikipedia.org...

Again, that is a dog that needs a rural environment and lots of room to be happy and healthy. Bird dogs in general do make awesome pets, but not in a small yard or in a city.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccupyPlanet
pit bull is the best

red nose

The issue with Pit Bulls is the owners. People who favor them, generally abuse them to make them mean. You can't have them around children either. That is just asking for trouble. Often people get dogs like that because they think they are cool. The shelters are full of them.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yes we love labs to
and talked much about getting one of those, perhaps we will end with getting both a black lab and a German Shepard puppies, best friends forever

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Australian Shepard's are one of my favorites. Smart dogs, but again very high strung and need lots of room and activity. Don't do well in small fenced yards.

I've seen many of them on the farms and ranches I was raise around. I've clocked them at over 30 mph chasing cars, which they love to do.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

They are a wonderful choice. I lost my last one to old age about 4 years ago. They certainly have a wonderful personality. Get one from a good blood line so you don't have the inevitable Hip dysplasia problems. With the right food they are living way beyond the old 10 year norm. Our last one made it 15 years before the problems set in.

I always loved taking him out to swim and play. Could not take him fishing though because he kept jumping in after the lure or fly. He would even fetch rocks off the bottom. Once he spotted water there was no way to keep him out of it. Fun animal.

Good luck with this. I never feel complete without a dog in my home.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

They do fine if you have a big enough yard, I wouldn't buy on if I was still in an apartment.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Akita, baby. You can hug this for sure...

www.google.com...=4

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Im a husky owner,
they make great family dogs, I have a Siberian husky, But only get this type of dog if you have a lot of time to walk them, There full of energy and needs loads of running around, Also lol look up coat blowing!!!!
If your a bit ishy about dog hair then this is not the dog for you

I cant wear black ever!! lol and the cars looks like its a husky now

But a fab dog that will give you so much love and is great with the kids, But make sure you look up on them first as they are not for everyone, many end up in kennels due to people not doing there research,

I love mine and he is a great friend,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join