It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My girlfriend and I are getting a dog, but which one ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

This is awkward, i apologize.
For some reason, i replied to you, don't know how that happen
, it was ment for Vandalour.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
Don't get a german shepherd....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Lots of people giving great info..

I just want to expand on one thing. As has been said many times in this thread dogs are a commitment!

I am disgusted every time I see an ad on the internet or in the paper "We just don't have room for him!" or "We don't have enough time to give him the exercise he needs!"

Plllleeeease research your pet and get a good match. I know a lot of people have this ideal breed in their head, they love it because it looks cool/cute, or they have met a dog of that breed that they liked.. It's very important to match your new pet to your lifestyle to avoid one of these situations.

If ever a situation merits giving your pet away, don't be one of those jerks taht tries to make a buck off of it. Instead give the dog and his/her supplies away for free on the condition that you can bring the dog to it's new home and meet the family and verify that the living situation is adequate.

I know it seems silly and like I'm making a huge deal out of nothing, but I take very seriously my relationship with my dogs. They are my best friends and most loyal companions. I don't go hiking with humans, I take my dogs. When my feet are cold at night I have beagle power. It seriously breaks my heart seeing dogs being disposed of because their owner's had no idea what they were getting into.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You said you are buying a house with a yard, but you did not say if the yard had a FENCE.
If you want a dog, you MJST have a Fence.
Also you will have to resign yourself to picking up poop and putting it in one of those doggie doolie digesters, Or you will be cleaning your shoes often.

www.petsolutions.com...

Are there obedience classes anywhere near where you live?

And as has been mentioned, you must consider your life style.
Do you go Out every evening?
Do you have lots of guests to your house frequently?
If you are very active socially - DO NOT get a dog.
Are you planning on children and when?

Do not get any breed that has a aggression potential.

A Golden Retriever would be a good First Dog.
Google "Golden Retriever Rescue"..there should be one for your area.
It should already be spayed/neutered or you should be sure this happens.
Also a first time dog should be a house trained adult.
House training a puppy is not for first timers who both have jobs.

And remember, Dogs are not yard ornaments.
They need companionship just like children do.
If you are not going to make it a member of the family, living in the house with you..DO NOT get a dog.
If you don't like cleaning up hair from the floor, furniture and clothing .. DO NOT get a dog.
You may have to get up an any hour of the nite to let this dog out to relieve him/herself.
If you don't like your sleep being disturbed...DO NOT get a dog.

Think long and hard on this, the same as you would if you were adopting a child.
The commitment and responsibility are equal.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
My vote is for a Lab..
Yellow Lab
Chocolate Lab
then you have the Meth Lab...best to avoid that one !!
Sorry could not resist that..
Labs are great dogs !!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have a Basset Hound, he is smart
but sometimes defiant. He likes to
roam around a little in the field but
could care less that a rabbit or any
other critter is anywhere within range,
(we didn't train him for hunting, obviously),
lol. He is affectionate, gets along fairly
well with the cat or should I say he
tolerates him. Anyone that comes
to visit he thinks they are definitely
here to see him, he is a bit of a jumper.
He's a wonderful lazy bum and we
love him so much. BTW he is 2
years old. I recommend the Basset
Hound and if you get a puppy, they are
the cutest ever.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

my boston is adorable. she only weighs 6 lbs and is just full of herself.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Personally I would not go with a larger dog. I love them dearly but they require more space in their yards.I think going to the humane society or aspca is a good idea myself. I've rescued a few animals in my time and they are very loving.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

German-Shepherd or the Husky.

I tend toward the more "wolf like" breeds. Very stable and family oriented. They will not hesitate to defend if danger is sensed either. Socialize them with friends that visit, like kids, they only learn "company manners" when there is company around. They'll know what to do if a "bad guy" breaks in! They "smell it".

Pit bulls?

I tend to think of pit owners like guys with really big trucks....compensating.

I agree totally with a previous poster....make sure you have a fenced yard with at least a 6' fence if possible.

I would also suggest letting the dog inside while your home and sleep inside. They are pack animals and you and your lady ARE the pack leaders. The puppies take their cues from you.

Think of them as "hairy children". Ours behave BETTER than many two legged kids!

You will have these family members for about 10 or 15 years (god willing good health). Look at animal shelters and rescues. I really have little use for breeders. Plenty of dogs that need a good home without making more!

Discipline fairly but firmly...they understand strength and power...but love equally strong! They understand that as well. IF you can, get a male and female of the same breed (fixed of course). They do better with a friend. Ours have. They are so much like my wife and I its scary LOL!

We have all rescues.

Our female shepherd (Josephine Bella -"Josey Bell") is now pushing 10 or 11.
She was found tied to a tree, nearly starved, mangey, and looked horrible. We got her third hand. For all that man had done to her, she STILL loves people (especially babies and little girls). We think she was a discarded puppy mill mama. She is SUCH a mother with kids and puppies.

My Shar Pei / Lab mix (Warsteiner) was following some mexican ladies walking down my street one day. I said hello to them and the puppy (he was about 2 or 3). He came over and we goofed.

They kept walking.

I hollered "Hey, yall forgot your dog"....they said "Aint our dog".....

damn.

Well, my Wunderhund is my best buddy and incredibly loyal. We have conversations and he gives hugs. He's getting a little gray too
He is still as spry as he ever was and protective....tends to stay away from young kids. Kinda funny to see him grump off...and then tolerate a little one petting him!

and then there is Bee Bee Gene.

BB is from "Bit Bit". Gene from Gene Simmons. Ya gotta see this dogs tongue!

She looks like a large Shelty...about the size of a big yellow Collie. She weighs about 60 lbs and is muscle!

She is also autistic...yeah. I know.

I found her when she was bout 8 weeks old, she weighed 3 lbs and was nearly dead.....smelled as bad!

I took her to the vet, we didnt know if she would make it. My wife had surgery the day I brought her home from the vet.

There we were on the couch (kid was at friends house).

Me, mama, and the puppy in my pocket chewing on my finger (kept her off of her well chewed tail).

she is a little "damaged" from malnutrition (the dog not my wife LOL). The other two have raised her well and at 4 years old, she acts about 8 months old. she is finally getting affectionate. She is house broken. Will finally respond to verbals and hand signs. I still have a hard time understanding her "language". The other two are easy.

Occasionally, she has a fit and runs in circles in the back yard. But she's happy and healthy now!

These are our hairy children, and I'm proud of them.

edit on 10/10/11 by felonius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have a german shepard dog mixed with boxer, and he is great. Any breed with these are gems, as long as you as a dog owner knows how to handle a dog. A dog is kinda like a computer, although genetics does help things along. A computer is only as smart as it's user, likewise a dog will behave as well or as poorly as it's owner/alpha will let it.

My next dog will be an akita, as i dont think any other dog has the genetic predisposition of protecting the pack like an akita. They're considered aggressive dogs in some places, but any responsible and intelligent owner/alpha can handle an akita, or for that matter any dog.

Before getting your pup, my suggestion is to make sure you feel comfortable in the level of discipline required to turn that dog into a gem. THEY'RE NOT HUMANS, THEIR PSYCHOLOGY IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Make sure you're attitude is not one of: "oh you've harassed me enough, i'll give in" but rather, "no means no." If you haven't had kids yet, a dog will be an excellent practice run, given the dog is intelligent enough.

When getting your dog, you should consider the animal's utility to you. Will your dog be for protection, hunting, alerting you to intruders, to lick your face when you're feeling down, or to simply look cute. from your choices it seems like you have alarm and protection in mind. From living with 5 dogs and 6 cats for most of my life, the smaller ones are better at alerting you of the slightest noise or disturbance outside, and often away from your property. Jack Russell and chihuahua are great for this, but i would not be deterred immediately as a thief if you had such a dog. Protection is exemplified by big dogs with big barks. My dog, has consistently scared away the LDS solicitors, along with the average door to door salesman. And, although I've never experienced them, the solicitors that are more interested in getting inside your home to spam you in your castle, would be ripped to pieces by an akita if he didn't belong there.

It is also important to consider the activity level of the dog, some dogs are sedentary while others require regular walk and exercise. this is important so i will emphasize it, ANY DOG THAT DOES NOT GET A SATISFYING AMOUNT OF EXERCISE DAILY, IS PRONE TO MISBEHAVING. Misbehavior for most dogs is eating/chewing items you treasure, such as power cords or wooden decor, to high amounts of energy when you dont want it, like wanting to play whilst you sip a beer. Another consideration is if you're not willing to provide an everyday form of exercise, then get another dog to play with your first, although this seems to have mixed results between the dogs wearing each other out through play, or teaming up to accomplish bad deeds together.

And lastly, i kennel my dog when he is left without a human in the house, although he typically behaves well while i am away, he has had a history of raiding trashcans, and making himself sick with stuff he is not supposed to eat. Even though most of these have happened years ago, i still kennel him because now he is more comfortable while i am away inside his kennel.

And just an additional note, basset-hounds are one of the genetically least intelligent dogs around.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

Pit bulls?
I tend to think of pit owners like guys with really big trucks....compensating.

So if it weren't for guys with big trucks, pitbulls would be homeless!... lol. Horribly ignorant statement.
By the way, I drive a little 2 door car.. hehe
The rest of your post was pretty spot on though =)

Pits are near the top of the list regarding ability to learn anything you train them to do. But they can also be big teddy bears that will cheer you up on a bad day, always ready to love. Honestly, pits (not biased, of course..) are one of the sharpest breeds ever. Extremely quick to learn something new, and very eager to please their master.
They're the definition of agility and power.
I bring my guy everywhere with me, and he's always eager to ride shotgun, assuming the misses isn't riding along

Big mushy, adorable faces, with none of the drooling issues.
He gets SO much attention too. Old people, young people, conservatives, liberals, everyone wants to interact with him and since he was socialized a lot at a young age (walks around the neighborhood) he does great around EVERYBODY.. including the 2 cats he lives with.
I'm glad that he's such a well mannered boy and a credit to his breed.

Agree 100% that the breed is not aggressive by nature, from birth. It's how you raise the animal.
I've seen plenty of messed up chihuahua's, labs, springer spaniels etc. Doesn't matter the breed so much as how you train them.
I would definitely steer clear of most "mainstream" food brands, purina/science diet/ alpo/ all made of junk corn and or wheat filler, as well as disgusting by-products. Make sure to do your research on quality food, it will save you SO MUCH MONEY in the end. The animal will consume much less if it's quality food, (I would look into making your own food at least some of the time, raw chicken/meat/egg etc) and you will have far less vet visits.
We haven't ran into one ailment yet, and I feed raw chicken and eggs, as well as a quality dry food. I also feed an assortment of fruits(never grapes!) and veggies(never onions!), but not from my plate, that teaches them to beg. When we go for walks in the mornings he grazes on blackberry's along the road, it's ridiculously cute.

There's something to be said about raising a dog from puppy stage, I preferred it with my current dog. But there are so many sheltered animals that could use a home. That's your choice, though.
Tons of valuable information floating around this thread, I hope you guys find a buddy that matches your lifestyle and have many happy years together!

edit on 10-10-2011 by Mellok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The issue with Pit Bulls is the owners. People who favor them, generally abuse them to make them mean. You can't have them around children either. That is just asking for trouble. Often people get dogs like that because they think they are cool. The shelters are full of them.

IN REPLY TO:

You are correct about the issues with pit bulls is about the owners. There is no dog on the planet that is more abused than pit bulls of today. Raised with love, socialization, discipline and exercise there is NO BETTER dog with children. So please stop spreading more myths about pit bulls. Also known as nanny dogs not too long ago. Not to mention the most decorated war dog ever was a pit bull. They are full of love, loyalty, and thier intelligence is unmatched in my op. Not to mention quite the comedians whose goofy smiles will forever be etched on your heart. Through the decades the GS, the rottie, dobie and bloodhound were the "demon" dogs. Sadly,in todays media sensational seeking yellow journalism who cares if it's the truth headlines, the "demon dog" of today is the pit bull.

All that said, for a first time dog owner I do not recommend a pit bull , german shepherd or any of the larger breeds that need a firm experienced handler in most cases. Experience being the key. Unless you will consider personal training help and have a lot of time to learn about what your specific breed needs. Of course there are exceptions in ANY breed.

I do agree that it would be great if you could rescue a shelter dog, or contact local breed rescues when you decide on a particular breed. Five to six million dogs are killed in the US every year. Horrible state of affairs.

Oh, and I don't own a truck. My rescued amazing loving gentle pit bull and I cruise around in a porsche twin turbo. So much for stereotyping, eh? flame:

Good luck with your dog.. Nothing better than a loving loyal dog. Which is God spelled backwards. : )
edit on 10-10-2011 by Pitlover because: spell.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I definitely echo the sentiments on terriers.
They are so high strung and are aggressive towards anything smaller than them or they see as weak.
Maltese, poodles, and chihuahuas are great indoor dogs.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Get the husky. We have two and they are awesome; lots of personality and very smart. They are high energy and do require a lot of love and attention they also require a lot of discipline. They are the closest you can get to a wolf without owning one, in terms of pack mentallity and intelligence and instinct and such. They are increadiblely loyal and all around great dogs.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Basset Hounds are pretty cool, but they do tend to get a few health issues in relations to ears, nose, and hips. They are a tad odorous as well. They are also one of the top "hard to housebreak" dogs, so if getting a puppy, be prepared to dig in your heels for the long haul in that department.

German Shepards are my top pick, so long as you understand these are VERY smart dogs, about the top brain in the dog world. They need training from the get-go so they can use their brains, and will make you all an EXCELLENT companion.

Huskies are pretty cool so long as you don't have young'ns around, which it sounds like you don't. However, with huskies, they tend to have a destructive streak when left alone too long. You do run the risk of coming back to a torn up house if you are not planning on crating. They really tend to work best in households where someone will be home most of the time.

As another poster said, it is really preferable to try and get your new doggy from the SPCA or the like, save a life!

Might I also suggest a Labrador Retriever or Lab/Shepard Mix (they are actually fairly common)?
You will never want another dog. They are smart, loyal, very hands-on family dog. Easy to train, very eager to please. They will want to go with you everywhere. Best dog ever. They do need daily exercise, but are happy in about any size house so long as they get outdoors daily.
edit on 11-10-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I'd say it depends on how much you want to spend. Rescuing a dog is a noble thing. I have grand champion rottweilers. My dogs come from a 27 year blood line. My original breeder is Regalrottweilers.com. It pains me to see anyone improperly breed an animal and worse yet to make one or allow one to be aggressive. Most dogs will protect you out of loyalty and love. A well trained animal should be able to sense if there is a problem by it's owners actions. My dogs are happy to see anyone, just as they should. They are happy dogs. However, come into my home uninvited and it will be noisy. There are so many awesome breeds to choose from that it would be hard to decide for the first time. Do some research and figure out who is reputable to purchase from near you. Go visit them and see their dogs. Call the AKC/UKC club near you. Or, take the other path of rescuing a dog. Either way, you'll have a blast. My rotts are big babies and they snore like drunken sailors. They love my kid and his friends. Good luck with your choice. Though more expensive, maintaining the proper bloodline of any breed is just as noble for the dog world.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I have to put my vote in for the Boxer. We have one and he is the most perfect dog. Such a happy personality, great with our young son, plays well with other dogs, and you can't beat the expressions on a Boxer's face.

I do have to say though, and I know this won't score points with some people, but check with your homeowners or renters insurance in acceptable dog breeds. Just to cover the basic list of dogs that are typically excluded, with some variation between the different insurance companies: Pit Bull, Presa Canario, German Shepard, Akita, Chow, Rottweiler, Doberman Pincher, Siberian Husky, Wolf Hybrid, and others. I know people keep saying that Pit Bulls are the best dogs, and I have met a number that are, but there is a reason that these insurance companies exclude these breeds, and that is because statistics show that they have a greater frequency to bite than the breeds not on the list. Just something to keep in mind as you make your decision.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Get a german shepherd or a laabrador, they taste real good after you've fattened them up a bit

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
south african boerboel...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

Yes! I vote for boxer too! Very lovable, yet our female was very protective of my sons and myself when my husband wasn't home. Our male was so lovable. He thought he was a lap dog!

Whatever you decide on, everyone here is right about checking on the breeder. You don't want to fall in love with them, only to have to put them down, because the breeder was awful and they have health issues that run the thousands.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join