It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My girlfriend and I are getting a dog, but which one ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My gf and I just bought a nice little house .. with a medium sized lawn. its our first house, and we can move in next week. But the other big thing we are looking forward to is buying a dog, we both LOVE animals and now we have some more space its perfect, so just wanted to hear if any ATS peeps had a suggestion.

We want a dog that we can hug ( not one of those small noisy ones
)
is going to be our first dog..
We allready agreed to train the dog and and give it tons of love

Until now we got these three dogs in mind.

Basethound

German-Shepherd

Husky

edit on 10-10-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
pit bull is the best

red nose

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
German-Shepherd!

They are loyal, smart and all loving.

Do you need anything else?

I have been thinking about getting one myself, but they need a lot of training and fresh air.

But it sounds like that's what you are going to do.

link   
I have an Alaskan husky, and she is one of the sweetest dogs ever! She still has tons of energy at 2 years old, and can be a handful at times, but I wouldn't trade her for anything else.

edit on 10-10-2011 by fiendchikx138 because: (no reason given)

link   
Why not go look at the SPCA? Save a dog and you won't be perpetuating puppy mills by purchasing a full breed animal. You can, actually get full breed animals at the SPCA, any how. They're generally not advertised though.

"Mutts" tend to be more intelligent and less prone to psychiatric or physical health problems due to not being inbred.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If it's just a girlfriend, I suggest a dog that you won't miss or mind getting stuck with when she leaves you for that other dude with the stupid haircut.

Sorry. Had to say it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

I would go with either the German Shepherd or the Husky, both very loyal and protective breeds.
The only thing with German Shepherd (from my experience) that they are SO protective, that they might attack someone that they don't recognize (which isn't always a bad thing).

German Shepherds and Huskies are closets to their ancestors the wolf. Keep that in mind if you are going to have children around.
Not saying that they are aggressive, just that it's more likely for them to be.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Great Danes are the ultimate 'people dog'. Very loyal, attentive, and gentle. They are a bit of a hand full until about the age of 3, when they calm down. We have the most 'hyper' 4yo dane, and he's about the same pace as my 10yo lab. Also, my lab eats just as much as my dane.

link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm a big-time dog guy. My preference is to go to an animal rescue and adopt one. I'm all about the mutts, especially the mixed sporting breeds. Labrador mix for a larger dog, and beagle for smaller. Whenever I've gone to a shelter, the dog more picks me out. You'll see what I mean if you take that route.

Good luck. Nothing's better than a dog.

Here's a little experiment. Lock your girlfriend and a dog in the trunk for a couple of hours. When you let them out, see which one is happy to see you.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
Pit bulls are great larger dogs as well. I have had two and they have been the best dogs I have ever had. As long as they are treated well and properly socialized, they are great dogs. and smart too... Plus I think they just look awesome.

Heres my puppy. She about 5 months old in this pic

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OccupyPlanet

Rescue a dog....they are forever grateful.....i have 2 great rescue dogs. (they are both over 10 now and everyone thinks they are still 4)

mutts live longer and are typically healthier than purebreds

Don't get a german shepherd....

at least look at the humane society...
edit on 10-10-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I strongly agree with getting a dog from a shelter. As mentioned before you will be saving a life and you won't be supporting puppy mills or irresponsible breeders. (Not all fall into this category, it's possible to get a purebred without supporting bad breeding/mills but you should really look into where you're getting your dog from.)

Retriever types are easy to train, not too demanding, do well indoors and out, and are very, very loyal.

Whatever you decide look up your breed's temperament and decide if that breed is right for you. I know so many people that assumed because they chose a small breed that their dog would do well in a small house.

I am a proud beagle owner, and my little dog requires LOTS of exercise and outside time. If I were you I'd go with the Basset Hound, because they're like fatter beagles.

Also look on craigslist, lots of people never realized what they were getting in to and decide to flake out pretty quickly. If you can save a dog from irresponsible owners you've performed a good deed.

ETA: All of the breeds you are considering are very active and will need a lot more than just "yard time." You are probably already aware but I just wanted to bring it up.
edit on 10-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccupyPlanet
pit bull is the best

red nose

I disagree. Pitbulls are amazing dogs, but as far as a first dog, it is not a good idea.

Out of the three there, I would go with the German Shephard; very loyal, loving, and trustworthy.

Remember, make sure your dog gets lots of love and exercise!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think you should get a Japanese Akita.

They look cute as puppies, & bad-ass when they're fully developed!

My kinda dog

As a puppy:

& fully developed:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Why not go look at the SPCA? Save a dog and you won't be perpetuating puppy mills by purchasing a full breed animal. You can, actually get full breed animals at the SPCA, any how. They're generally not advertised though.

"Mutts" tend to be more intelligent and less prone to psychiatric or physical health problems due to not being inbred.

We dont have "SPCA" here in Denmark.. but we have somehing similar, and we might just do that. But im affraid I will be taking more then one dog home if I set my foot in a place like that, surounded by dogs that just beg to be taken home to a better place with someone that would love them

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

AWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...........

Just died of cuteness overload by that puppy picture

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

I don't think ANY terrier breed is good first dog material, haha...unless you like to learn things the hard way!
So stubborn....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
get something ugly like a boston terrier

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'd be lost without my pets. Brought up with dogs, had at least one 'of my own' since I was 14.

Couple of things I would consider would be how much time you have and how much exercise any particular breed will need. If you and your GF are out working all day and pooch is home alone, will it do its business everywhere/chew everything out of boredom or become depressed?

If you have plenty of time, space and the inclination towards plenty of walkies then the breeds suggested would be great. Of course, all dogs need plenty of all of those things, but mostly, not exclusively, the smaller the breed the less of the above you will have to provide.

Labradors and Retrievers are lovely breeds IMO. My little dog is a Toad In The Hole (Yorkie X Dacshund). She weighs 7lbs and at 8 years old doesn't want to be on her stumpys for more than around 1/2 hour 2 - 3 times a day on walkies. My brother has a gorgeous 18 month old black lab that weighs 7 stone and doesn't like to rest for more than around 1/2 hour 2 - 3 times a day!

There are also big differences in the mess to be cleaned up betwen the two, and the cost of feeding them per month, more things to consider. And don't forget to factor in medical/vets costs. Getting insurance is a good way to make sure that if the worst should happen and your pet gets sick or hurt that you don't have to find the money to pay for treatments which can be VERY costly.

Plenty of breeds to choose from, and one probably ideal for you. Just thought I'd offer my 2 pence worth.

Please keep us informed as to your choice

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It's never a good Idea to get a dog with a girlfriend but I know I won't sway you on that. The type of dog you get is also dependent on your llifestyle and training experience. If you have zero experience training an animal, have limited time, or don't have the money to have someone else train the animal, I advice against shephards, collies, herding dogs, or dogs that were bred for intense work. You could probably find a nice golden retriever, they usually mellow out after a year or so. But remember a poorly trained small dog will always be easier to handle than a poorly trained big dog. And discipline will go miles further with you relationship with your dog than "loving it". Loving happens naturally, and discipline is how you show it. Biggest lesson I ever learned training, it's not a person, it's a dog.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Snorkelbacon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join