It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those Who Don't "Get" OWS. This Explains It...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Alan Grayson explains the anger and why people are protesting. There doesn't need to be a specific thesis for a person to understand why we need to protest.

Three years ago, Wall Street ruined our economy. Nobody has been indicted or convicted. They destroyed 20% of our net worth that we have worked 200 years to accumulate. What is so hard to understand? And don't tell me to take it to DC because people who say that really know that this is where the criminals are but they just don't want to admit that their pet political groups/parties/movements might not be as vigilant as they wish.

What's the easiest way to keep cockroaches at bay? Sweep the food off your freakin' floor!

ps PJ O'Rourke is a total tool.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Cuervo because: Addendum

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I am only replying to bump this thread, Alan Grayson, in simple words says so much more than I could ever vocalize.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Wow what a douche-bag, talking about taking off your shoes, playing a bongo drum, and urinating where you please as if that's a requirement to be a part of the protests. Ignorance at it's finest

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Cuervo

Wow what a douche-bag, talking about taking off your shoes, playing a bongo drum, and urinating where you please as if that's a requirement to be a part of the protests. Ignorance at it's finest

I was gonna say that but I went with "tool" instead. Yeah... I bet he kicks his dogs, too.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Though I agree with everything that was said in the video, I don't believe the OWS movement is just about justice and or retribution towards those guilty of the financial collapse. Yes people should be held accountable, yes we have two parties that are in bed with WS and big business, but I believe the OWS movement is about that and much more.

It's about frustration about the lies, misinformation feed to us. It's about feeling powerless to affect TRUE change thru the old channels and a wanting of bringing in a new way of getting a message across. It's about watching our resources dwindle while the rich and influential rape the land and it's people, collectively enslaving us all through a system meant to benefit them. It's about putting EVERYTHING into question; even those things that are unmentionable such as our economic model, system of government, and our purpose as a human race in a enclosed planet with our living neighbors; plants, animals and ecosystems.

The OWS movement is about the young seeing the old ways as madness and insanity which it is. Insanity that is unsustainable, and realizing that most are in a trance that need a heavy shaking. Nothing is too taboo, nothing is a given, everything must be questioned and questioned honestly.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I understand that people are angry and resentful, but why become a tool of your own enslavement by joining some manipulated movement? I've seen video after video, not MSM - but OWSers' own videos promoting themselves, that make them look plain goofy and obviously ignorant of how the system works.
"We want massive government spending on social programs but we want an end to debt!" - waitaminute - these people have no concept that their demands can only be paid for through deficit spending and continued domination by banks. Make up your mind. Do you want to depower the banks? Fine, that means the federal government must be massively shrunk and an end to deficit spending and Keynesianism. It means you have to rely on yourself, not the government.

The protests are just a bunch of people showing how ignorant and easily manipulated they are.

Abraham Lincoln has advice for you people: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

"They" are not scared. They are laughing at you. Their system will probably collapse but it has nothing to do with protests. It will be because of their own hubris and incompetence. Then those that rebuild will be people with intelligence and ability who very likely have nothing to do with these clown festivals that will only serve as talking points for pundits and politicians.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Cuervo, I respect you. But this? Really?
Wall Street, corporations live off the laws they influenced in DC.
Change the laws, you change the dynamics of Wall Street.

But we need brave and honest people in DC before that can happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Cuervo

Cuervo, I respect you. But this? Really?
Wall Street, corporations live off the laws they influenced in DC.
Change the laws, you change the dynamics of Wall Street.

But we need brave and honest people in DC before that can happen.

I agree we need both. But it's the whole "DC, who needs to change the laws for Wall Street which are made by politicians who are bought by Wall Street who needs to be fixed by DC, who needs to change the laws for Wall Street which are made by politicians who are bought by Wall Street who needs to be fixed by DC, who needs to change the laws for Wall Street which are made by politicians who are bought by Wall Street who needs to be fixed by ..." situation again.

Please understand that if this were a group protesting DC to get them to change the laws, I'd be just as supportive. I agree with what you say but I think there is more than one way to get there. I believe this is one of those ways and it is best because it is actually happening.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by radosta
I understand that people are angry and resentful, but why become a tool of your own enslavement by joining some manipulated movement? I've seen video after video, not MSM - but OWSers' own videos promoting themselves, that make them look plain goofy and obviously ignorant of how the system works.
"We want massive government spending on social programs but we want an end to debt!" - waitaminute - these people have no concept that their demands can only be paid for through deficit spending and continued domination by banks. Make up your mind. Do you want to depower the banks? Fine, that means the federal government must be massively shrunk and an end to deficit spending and Keynesianism. It means you have to rely on yourself, not the government.

The protests are just a bunch of people showing how ignorant and easily manipulated they are.

Abraham Lincoln has advice for you people: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

"They" are not scared. They are laughing at you. Their system will probably collapse but it has nothing to do with protests. It will be because of their own hubris and incompetence. Then those that rebuild will be people with intelligence and ability who very likely have nothing to do with these clown festivals that will only serve as talking points for pundits and politicians.

beautifully said.

and while alan does make a very clear, and concise speech about what they are pissed about. it still just seems so pointless.

what is the OWS end game? so we know why theyre pissed, but what do they really expect to happen? somebody posted a video of a protester there talking about how we should do away with currency or some crazy business. thats his plan to fix this country? i mean, he was going on and on about how there were thousands of people working for pepsi and coke who shouldnt be, because they could be doing more important things like growing food and stuff. its just childish really, and hopefully not an accurate representation of the overall populations intelligence.

so what is OWS plan?

either way, i still just dont see how blaming the banks for the mess were in is going to help. not a single bank held a gun to a single persons head and made them sign up for a mortgage they didnt understand and couldnt afford. no banks made people spend money they didnt have.

if everyone spent as much time trying to better themselves as they did bitching about what everyone else has we would all be better off.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

And there is the point.
If the OWS crowd was in DC protesting the weasel politicians that WROTE the laws, the Tea Party, would be standing with them.
This crowd is protesting the headache that a tumour caused.

I protest the tumour.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Cuervo

And there is the point.
If the OWS crowd was in DC protesting the weasel politicians that WROTE the laws, the Tea Party, would be standing with them.
This crowd is protesting the headache that a tumour caused.

I protest the tumour.

Then do both! This conversation always ends the same for me: beat up Wall Street and beat up DC. We'll meet in the middle like those two spaghetti eating dogs in that Disney flick.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Like I told Walking Fox, you go after the folks making the bribes, I'll go after the folks taking the bribes.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
How did wall street ruin our economy?

& what crimes did they commit?

edit on 9-10-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

explains the anger

Not being mean, but I've seen more anger after a Friday night football loss. The protests for the most part are peaceful.

Where is this anger people are talking about? Is the anger being expressed merely what is getting people to go protest peacefully?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If there is no anger, then why protest?

Slayer69's thread OP lays it out pretty good:
Good OWS related ATS link
edit on 9-10-2011 by radosta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

At the occupykc rally I went to today, one thing that is planned is for people to go to the offices of local politicians, and request that they sign a petition which says they won't accept corporate money or endorse legislation that allows this money in politics. That way, if they don't sign it, their names will be added to a list that points out which people are corrupt or allow corruption to occur.

Sounds nice to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

At the occupykc rally I went to today, one thing that is planned is for people to go to the offices of local politicians, and request that they sign a petition which says they won't accept corporate money or endorse legislation that allows this money in politics. That way, if they don't sign it, their names will be added to a list that points out which people are corrupt or allow corruption to occur.

Sounds nice to me.

That sounds like a step in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Here are some of the official demands of the OWS movement.

coupmedia.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Sounds nice to me.

You need to add "Union Money" to the petition.
edit on 10-10-2011 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I still don't understand why they don't mention the Central Banking System, the IMF, and the World Bank.
That's who we should really focus on.

This would also be cool to say right here :
"Meanwhile, we can still afford the new upgrades to our B-2 Spirit stealth bombers..."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join