It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10.9.2011 at approx 1:30 AM - Please check this out & tell me if I'm losing it...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Evening all!

I want to start by saying that when I first joined ATS, I never imagined that the forum I'd be most active in would be the UFO forum. Outside of one or two experiences I had when I was a little girl, I've tended to shy away from the whole UFO topic because, quite frankly, it scared the # out of me. When I joined ATS back in March, it was at a time when I felt like things were out of control. I was feeling unbelievably anxious and unsettled about all of the strange energy in the air, I was starting to hear that strange rumbling sound many of us have heard and I was, in general, feeling depressed, physically sick and scared about some unknown impending doom (or at least that's how it felt).

As time passed, I became interested in a lot of the discussions taking place around the boards and gravitated toward a variety of forums. I participated in any topic that struck my interest including political, economics, breaking news, supernatural, metaphysical, fragile earth, etc.- in other words, it was clear I hadn't joined as a UFO theorist and that my interests lay in a variety of different subject matter; however, for some reason, ever since my first post on ATS, there has barely been one single night when I have looked up at the sky and not noticed something strange going on. Believe me, I would prefer to not see these things but sure enough, they're usually there and I feel compelled to at least try to understand what the hell is going on. Sometimes I've been able to get pictures or recordings and sometimes not.

I don't want to be known as a UFO theorist because that's not where my true interests lay, but I want you to take a look at this video from tonight and let me know what you think. Every night I've been seeing more and more lights in the sky and whereas I know that many of them are planets or stars, there are always one or two odd things that seem out of place and unnatural. I know that stars twinkle but every night for the last two weeks or so. I've seen an unusually "active" twinkling star, which seems to not only twinkle excessively but to change colors every so often. To the right of the twinkling star are three steady stars all in a perfect verticle row (I can never get those to come out on film) and to the far right of those is another very bright star which I can see through the tree branches but can't get an unobstructed picture of. Anyway, what's of true interest is this twinkling star, the verocity with which it "twinkles" and the changing colors.

Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. To really see it full blast, try to watch it in full screen mode and hang in there until around 20 secs into the video.

Please tell me, am I just losing it or is this normal star activity?

Thanks for checking it out and letting me know what you think.

TG

edit on 10/9/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
wow u need to edit, and why is the video showing nothing

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Props for taking a video.... just can't say much about it though. I've seen some wildly "twinkly" stars myself though, and often wondered. But it's probably a planet you are seeing... they tend to twinkle a lot more strangely than the rest. Haha... wow... don't I sound all scientific!
haha I'll leave the actual explanations to others.

Side note - I wish I heard the sounds everyone seems to hear.... but I'm guessing I'm either too far west, or the massive mountain range I live in is blocking them.
It also makes me wonder if it would sound more pronounced or different here in Utah. I noticed that thunder sounds really different in the flatter states than the mountainous region I'm from. It's amazing how the thunder seems to just roll on forever until it disappears quietly on the plains. Here, it bounces between our mountains like a bass drum in a tile room. So, I wonder if those rumbles would be felt and heard 2x over as it's magnified by our "bouncers"

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ashtonkusher

I'm a spaz when it comes to editing the videos and I don't know how to delete the first 20 secs (during which time I was zooming in and trying to get the object in sight. As I said, if you go to the Youtube link and play it in full screen mode, it starts unmistakenly showing up around 20-22 secs.

Sorry about that but I'm still trying to get the hang of uploading videos.

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Thanks for the reply. It's entirely possibly you're right and it's nothing more than a normal twinkling star but I've been a camper all my life and have spent many nights looking up at the type of skies where you think you can just reach up and touch the stars. Even then, I never saw one that twinkled quite this way but again, perhaps ozone depletion and other factors have contributed.

As for the sound, I haven't heard it here in the NYC area for about a week now. It's a relief and things seem to be settling down a bit (at least were unusual sounds and the ground shaking is concerned) and I'm glad for the change. There were just too many bizarre things going on a one big cluster and the reprieve is much appreciated at this point. Thanks again for your input!

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

I believe this is what you saw
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

Text
Looks like a black screen with a little white dot bouncing around in it. If it is the dot bouncing or the camera bouncing I cannot tell, but I will bet it's the camera.
Sorry, means nothing.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yah, it's the heat rising from the earth that makes stars twinkle. Usually right after the sun sets it is the most visible. Like on a hot day off in the distance the surface of the ground shimmers in a mirage. I used to star gaze and know that the best viewing is just before dawn when the earth has cooled and the sky is the steadiest.

Having said that, I have also noticed this shimmer effect on stars more pronounced than I have ever seen it before. When viewed thru binocs, the star looks like a rainbow of light as though scattered thru a prism. And it blinks... red, green, blue...

I can only attribute it to more heat rising from a steadily warming planet. I live in urban sprawl and I know that every year they pave more and more of the valley floor and there are more and more heat sources like cars and roads that absorb and retain more and more heat during the day.

Dunno... waiting on others to chime in.
edit on 9-10-2011 by intrptr because: edit: Earth to Phage, come in Phage.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

Love the 60's IDF Pic

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I've noticed the same star, as a matter of fact I think a lot of us have, although I'm not quite sure of the explanation. I don't know whether or not to chalk this one up to stellar scintillation? Or a sign of an upcoming catastrophe, lol. But seriously, it is strange... if were referring to the same one, I feel no other star "blinks" with such veracity. I don't know... but if your really curious to what you might have seen, here's another thread following the same line as your OP.

(*thread*)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Just saw 1 Draconid Meteor on my smoke break.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonkusher
wow u need to edit, and why is the video showing nothing

Hmm, maybe if you had it full screen with the lights off, you might get to see the light show.

Nice video capture..

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

Cool link and definitely a possibility. Thanks for shooting over.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Petrov62

A) Camera was on a mini tri-pod and the only movement on my end was zooming in on object and B) even if camera was moving (which it wasn't), that would have nothing to do with the velocity of the twinkle (for lack of a better word).

I'm not trying to scam anyone here; merely trying to get some ideas and perfectly willing to accept that it's nothing unusual if that's the concensus.

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Here's my blinking star. got a small snapshot of it. Not sure if it's the same thing you saw, but definitely something up there. I don't think it's a star. It's something, but not a normal star, and definitely not Jupiter or whatever, mars, Neptune, or Venus.

Video + Pic. Look to the far right on the video and you see two lights blinking simultaneously.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Wow - that's a great hypothesis that seems to make sense. Thanks for the reply!

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Thanks for the link. Had put "twinkle" into the search engine instead of "blink". Seems to be the same thing and will check it out.

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Thank you for posting the video.
Unfortunately, since the video is of a faint blinking dot that moves around the screen with no reference points to discern whether the movement is the light, or shaky hand cam movement, the video says more against itself than it does for whatever you might think it is.

I'm not sure how far above the horizon this little blinking light was, but, it's a common illusion with commercial jet moving away from a viewer low in the sky to appear stationary, especially while they are climbing in altitude as they get further away. The flashing running lights would thus appear to be stationary in the sky, and if the jet is far away, you may not even hear it.
The blinking light shown on the video seems to match the tempo of flashing running lights on passenger jets.

That of course is only speculation.

Edit: Also, if you have an iPhone, or an Android, I understand there's an app that allows you to point your phone at objects in the sky, and it'll show you what that object is; satellite, planet, star, whatever. I don't know what the app is called snce I don't have one of those fancy phones.
edit on 9-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Looks real similar with the exception of the bounciness of the one I got on film tonight. Kudos right back to you! Kind of interesting how the skeptics with the one-lined responses "pictures or it didn't happen" have disappeared lately and I'm glad we've been part of getting them out of the picture (no pun intended).

TG

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I can't see anything in your video, but judging by some of the comments, I think I may have seen the same thing. I went outside the other night, and I am used to looking at the sky, and I saw the most twinklingiest thing I have ever seen in my life.

I figured it was some phenomenon that I would be familiar with if it was pointed out to me, but I have just never seen anything like it. I thought I was crazy at first...I thought it couldn't be twinkling THAT much, so I got someone to come out and verify...And they did verify it, so it wasn't just my eyes.

It was nowhere near normal atmospheric distortion, especially considering the starts in the immediate vicinity were displaying the normal illusory effect. It was weird to say the least. I think I mentioned this in another thread some days ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join