It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

El Heirro could erupt at anytime: Possible Tsunami US eastern seaboard: Please register for Tsunami

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Here is a link to the local eq reporter for those interested:

www.01.ign.es...

Now if you ask me do I think it might erupt, strong maybe, I mean it is one hell of an impressive swarm that has been going on for a long time, but no doom and gloom, sorry.

It is kinda creepy to track, so be calm.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This does not look to good to me. I have no idea how likely a major landslide is but something is going on there and it looks like an eruption is very possible soon.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Sorry wackopedia was lazy..

"This dome collapsed catastrophically, generating a landslide that travelled 17 km to the shoreline, and then probably much further in the ocean;"

earthquake-report.com...

The resulting Tsunami would have been huge.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mockrock

I hear 6 hours warning if a major landslide does occur.. But please! Don't trust mainstream media, really important to keep a watch yourself. Plenty of time to get people safe if something does happen

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mockrock

You're a geologist are you? An oceanographer?

What do you base your assessment on? Evidence of such a tsunami? There doesn't seem to be any.

No evidence for tsunamis associated with known landslides has been discovered to date
geomar.geo.ub.es...

Or do you base it on computer models? That doesn't seem to indicate a danger of an Atlantic wide wave. If a tsunami did occur as a result of the El Golfo landslide it would have been localized. Perhaps reaching the coast of Spain but not crossing to North America.

For Surinam, at a distance of 4700 km from La Palma, the r-1 decline yields a wave height of about a meter, and the r-1.85 decline yields a wave height of only about 2 cm. For Florida, at a distance of 6100 km, the r-1 decline yields a wave height of about 77 cm, and the r-1.85 decline yields a wave height of only about 1.2 cm. Even the largest of these estimates is considerably smaller than the worrisome values given by Ward and Day (2001). Shoaling and distant focusing are of course omitted here, but are not expected to yield disastrous waves in any case.

tsunamisociety.org...

edit on 10/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you.

I still think it is gonna be a cool eruption

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

What do you base your assessment on? Evidence of such a tsunami? There doesn't seem to be any.

No evidence for tsunamis associated with known landslides has been discovered to date
geomar.geo.ub.es...

Or do you base it on computer models? If a tsunami did occur as a result of the El Golfo landslide it would have been localized. Perhaps reaching the coast of Spain but not crossing to North America.

For Surinam, at a distance of 4700 km from La Palma, the r-1 decline yields a wave height of about a meter, and the r-1.85 decline yields a wave height of only about 2 cm. For Florida, at a distance of 6100 km, the r-1 decline yields a wave height of about 77 cm, and the r-1.85 decline yields a wave height of only about 1.2 cm. Even the largest of these estimates is considerably smaller than the worrisome values given by Ward and Day (2001). Shoaling and distant focusing are of course omitted here, but are not expected to yield disastrous waves in any case.

tsunamisociety.org...

If there is a chance that this could cause the death of innocent people.. then what is the harm in asking people to just be aware. No harm whatsoever..

We are well aware from Katrina that our governments don't care about innocent people.. extra DIV

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Perhaps.
But Hierro is a shield volcano, like the Hawaiian volcanoes. Such volcanoes are not subject to explosive eruptions. The main concern seems not to be of an eruption but of landslides caused by the earthquakes. The populated areas on the Northwestern side of the island are at the foot of some very high and steep cliffs.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Here is a video explaining the danger of a landslide and tsunami very well.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Evidence of Canary Island Tsunamis reaching US

"There is evidence that large tsunamis have been generated by these Canary Island landslides. For example,
on the Bahamian Island of Eleuthera, boulders of coral limestone “as big as houses and weighing thousands of tons”
have been deposited 20 m above sea-level and as much as 500 m inland. On the other end of the Bahamas archipelago
are large sand wedges several kilometers long and up to 25 m high–probably also formed by large waves in the area.
The estimated ages of these features in the Bahamas seem to match the collapse at El Gulfo on the island of El Hierro
in the Canary Islands. (McGuire, 1999) Tsunamis capable of leaving such artifacts in the Bahamas would doubtless
cause much devastation in the Caribbean and also along the East Coast of the United States"

library.lanl.gov...

Ignore the dudes flinging random numbers at you they are not on your side.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

If there is a chance that this could cause the death of innocent people.. then what is the harm in asking people to just be aware. No harm whatsoever..

Are you warning the residents of El Hierro or those on the East Coast of North America?

I hear 6 hours warning if a major landslide does occur.. But please! Don't trust mainstream media, really important to keep a watch yourself. Plenty of time to get people safe if something does happen

There is no danger to North America. Just as there was no danger posed by 2011 SE58.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Perhaps.
But Hierro is a shield volcano, like the Hawaiian volcanoes. Such volcanoes are not subject to explosive eruptions. The main concern seems not to be of an eruption but of landslides caused by the earthquakes. The populated areas on the Northwestern side of the island are at the foot of some very high and steep cliffs.

Quote end quote

And that makes you an

volcanologist?

I must say...You must know all. I mean all these special skills you have, I just can't keep up...

edit on 8-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

There is nothing to lose form being aware.. we have to get away from this attitude of blindly trusting our governments to baby sit us, take some responsibility for yourself. They don't care about us!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The earthquake in Japan was 5367 miles away from the coast of California and it did have some affects from the tsunami. El Hierro is 3430 miles away . Phage I cant see how you can say the east coast would not be affected.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Ignore the dudes flinging random numbers at you they are not on your side.

You don't like numbers? Ok, how about misrepresentations of "evidence"?
The claims of McGuire do not stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Suggestions that the strange position of boulders and chevrons in the Bahamas is related to the collapse of El Hierro in the Canary islands are pure speculation and are NOT based on scientific research. In fact the author of the original report suggested in 2001 that geologists should start looking for evidence of the effects of a possible tsunami on the East coast of America, Brazil and the Bahamas, which is a sure indication that no such evidence existed at that time. Even mentioning a possible link can only be described as deliberately misleading. Geologists in the Bahamas insist that the chevrons could not have been caused by a tsunami.

www.lapalma-tsunami.com...

The boulders and "sand wedges" are the result of storm waves, not tsunami.

In the Bahamas, the SW–NE orientation of the chevron ridges and runup deposits, and the restricted wave access to the
megaboulder deposits of northern Eleuthera (Hearty, 1997) favor formation from long-period waves generated from a
distant northeastern source. The orientation of these features at the Bahamas and Bermuda points to a very large and extremely
energetic and weather systems in the North Atlantic Ocean at this critical time of abrupt climate change.

www.uow.edu.au...@web/@sci/@eesc/documents/doc/uow014952.pdf

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Even if there is no evidence of such a past tsunami, it is still well known that a collapse could cause a huge tsuanmi to even reach the coast of northern america.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Perhaps.

Quote end quote

And that makes you an

volcanologist?

I must say...You must know all. I mean all these special skills you have, I just can't keep up...

Special skills.. Still can't figure out how to get an avatar up!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

No mock it was to Phage not you. I was sticking up for you. But, if you don't want me too, I'll recant.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

A landslide does not produce the same effects as an undersea earthquake. Such an event produces a short wavelength disturbance which does not travel far. See the link above.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

No worries ! New to all this forum business.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join