It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon....Who saw it last night and tonight.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

after looking at other threads you have posted. I believe it is safe to say that you need these flags to feel better about yourself.

So Mods please keep this thread on the front page to satisfy Manhater's flag urges

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86

after looking at other threads you have posted. I believe it is safe to say that you need these flags to feel better about yourself.

So Mods please keep this thread on the front page to satisfy Manhater's flag urges

Don't look at them if they annoy you that much. Look at something else. Problem solved.

Nothing but a bunch of whining little babies.

All I said, was that it looked off. That's all. No conspiracy there.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

As far as I know, the position of the threads in the front page is automatic, based on the participation the threads have for some time period, so your participation in this thread helped it to ensure it's position for a little longer.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by Char-Lee

I want to let you in on a little secret. Maybe you will understand.. But first are you saying that 9 year old children in school are not being taught the facts? So are they being educated with lies and shortchanged when it comes to scientific facts by their teachers? Or are you saying the teachers don't know that what they are teaching is inaccurate and not scientific? And as far as "Observation" I think I made it clear that I have observed first hand what I posted or I wouldnt have posted it. Now you can believe what you want. I know what I am seeeing and I wish you would address the links I have provided. Explain to us why the links are inaccurate.. One other thing for those who may be listening. I am not talking about the path the moon travels through and sets in, after rising. I am talking about the Fact that A boat moon is only viewable from the equator within 20 degress north or south of it. Now I know and so do the writers of the link you provided and I find it strange that now they are claiming that this is a lower 48 state normality and the UK and Europe Etc.. I mean lets just say its everywhere. Now what? Its not normal and all the rewriting and cover up you want to believe and push due to your whatever it is that makes you do it doesnt matter to me.. I don't need someone telling me that The Moon rises in a stnding crescent and can set that same day as a bowl moon. Once again. It happens every other month at 36 degrees here in Las Vegas for the past two years and several times a month.. They claim it is only a few times a year due to tilt? So is the Earth tilting back and forth in a 12 hour day? I rises normal and sets bowl and it did again tonight for the 4th night in a row..Lastly the comment by one of the mods, that the moon appeared to rotate 45 degrees but went on to say thats just from our perspective is again absoloutly wrong. The aspect of the moon would be consistantly the same for that day.. even if it were off kilter the next or the day before. The aspect should be constant for each rising and setting in a single days venue..
edit on 9-10-2011 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

Your pretty much grouching at the wrong person, I only showed what was said in the link provided by Phage in case people only read yours.

AND WHY...because I live on the North-coast of CA months ago my husband came home late and said "whats going on... look at the moon" it was a Horned bowl or Boat moon. He said said he comes home after the moon is up all the time and had never seen it in that position.
SO I looked it up. I found contradictory web pages everywhere but the one thing that struck me was there were no astronomers amateur or otherwise speaking up about any changes in the Moon and that convinced me as why would they who watch the sky regularly not be the first to speak out about it?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

First off the moon does not rotate it revolves around the earth with the same side of the moon always facing the earth. I am an amature astronomer and every night when i walk my dog i look at the moon and see no change other then the standard waxing and waning of its surface which gives us a new moon and full moon.
So anything you people are seeing is an illusion cause nothing has changed. The only things that could possibly be different is the sun is brighter then usual because we are aproaching solar maximum. I read someone say that the moon looked as if it had a red halo around it this could be because of the blue wavelengths of light being filtered out by dust and moisture in the earths atmosphere. As for the position of the moon in the sky? The moon follows what is called the ecliptic as does our sun and most of the planets. This changes throughout the seasons. for instance the ecliptic is farther north in the summer and southernmost in the winter and this is caused by the tilt of the earths axis which is what gives us the seasons. I hope this clears up any questions about what you have seen. I will throw in some more facts to make this intreasting. our moon was captured by the earths gravity and was believed to be a much larger body that crashed into the earth which has given us a larger earth then before this collision. Also the moon was much closer to us during its early years and the earth had a 10 hour day this was about 4.5 billion years ago since that time the moon has receeded from us and because of this has slowed our rotation by 14 hours. As this continues our days will lengthen as well but this is happening at such a slow pace (The lengthening of Earth's day by 1.7 milliseconds each century) that we will never see a difference in our lifetimes. I've read on the net that ET has bases on the moon though all the times I have looked at it and i've never seen anything! Though they may be on the far side of it. If they were on the near side of it i would have no problem seeing them with the telescopes I have! I have 2 meade SCTs one has an aperture of 10" and the other is 14" and with these scopes the moon is so bright I have to put a filter on them to make it dimmer. I havent set either of them up in years though cause they are very heavy. The 10" scope is like 60 to 70 lbs and the 14" is like 110 to 130 lbs. These are very good scopes for looking at the moon but you would be better off with an apochromatic refractor because it gives more detail, though the SCT (Schmidt cassegrain telescope) collects more light comparable to costs which makes them more useful for deep space and the Apo better for planetary. Though the worst part of earth based telescopes is the blurring effects of our atmosphere, hence the reason why the Hubble images are so clear. I even have pictures of the moon which came out awesome, I took them with an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera (A petax P-3). I even have a CCD camera which unfortunatly was never able to figure out how to get the software to work on my laptop computer! Oh well if anyone has any more questions feel free to ask!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I do not see this thread as being a problem or being on the front page. This thread has quite a bit of knowledge by many contributors on how the moon is perceived at different times cycles of the month and year.
It is much better than the moon looks different or is in the wrong place being pushed to the front page.If anything, maybe this thread will cut down on some of those threads.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

I'm not even claiming to be smart. I just have general knowledge and the capacity to do research on a subject before declaring huge heavenly bodies have somehow magically changed and I'm the only human that realized it. I mean there are only thousands of amateur astronomers out there and billions of humans that watch the sky. This is really just a common sense/street smarts/gullibility/ego trip issue at play.

And the thing is you do this in nearly every thread I have ever seen you post on as I tend to remember the doom sayers avatars because they are so incredibly annoying. You continue to deny facts yet you are on a site whose motto is deny ignorance.

I think its time for you to see the light and enter the world of do some research!~!

edit on 10/9/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/9/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Talk about annoying! The constant personal attacks on people for their own opinions is ridiculous...if you think they are morons why not just don't respond to that particular person. Also you know it is not anyone's place to decide a 98 year old or a teen cannot join a discussion on here and maybe not be up to speed but have their thoughts heard!
I thought the Mods were supposed to remove stuff that is aimed at personal attacks.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenite
who flags this #?

I did.
I guess that makes me a lunatic.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

My Sincerest Appologies.. I truely mean it. I didn't mean to jump the gun on you.. I also appreciate your information regarding the eyewitness account of you and your husband.. thx again..

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

This was the best shot I could of it last night, but I think the camera settings, like the flash make the outside red. Because when I used flash the outline was red. This is with no flash.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I am an amature astronomer.....

Well then, you should be gently corrected on this mistake, to improve your level of comprehension about the science of astronomy:

First off the moon does not rotate....

Yes, it does. It rotates about its own axis once every approximately 28 days.

That is why

.... the same side of the moon always facing the earth.

As it orbits the Earth, it takes approximately 28 to 29 days, per orbit. Therefore, we see only the hemisphere that is facing us...actually, we see a bit more than that, more than 50%. (Because its period of rotation is not exactly matched to its period of orbit). This is known as "gravitational lock", sometimes called "tidal locking"....and is very common in our Solar System, with other moons around other planets.

You can research this online, in many, many locations.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes because if you use a flash, your camera will change the white balance, giving you different colors.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

I am an amature astronomer.....

Well then, you should be gently corrected on this mistake, to improve your level of comprehension about the science of astronomy:

First off the moon does not rotate....

Yes, it does. It rotates about its own axis once every approximately 28 days.

That is why

.... the same side of the moon always facing the earth.

As it orbits the Earth, it takes approximately 28 to 29 days, per orbit. Therefore, we see only the hemisphere that is facing us...actually, we see a bit more than that, more than 50%. (Because its period of rotation is not exactly matched to its period of orbit). This is known as "gravitational lock", sometimes called "tidal locking"....and is very common in our Solar System, with other moons around other planets.

You can research this online, in many, many locations.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire

Yes because if you use a flash, your camera will change the white balance, giving you different colors.

here is an article about white balance and flash ..... hmmmmpf, and only NASA manipulates their images, right???

www.kenrockwell.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by intergalactic fire

here is an article about white balance and flash ..... hmmmmpf, and only NASA manipulates their images, right???

www.kenrockwell.com...

Everyone does, just take any magazine, 99% of all the photos in there passed through photoshop

I've been in the business for more than 15 years, can't fool me no more

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Oh, and you get most of this correct, as additional info re: our Moon:

...our moon was captured by the earths gravity and was believed to be a much larger body that crashed into the earth which has given us a larger earth then before this collision.

Technically, the prevailing theory is that a proto-planet (a mass that was still coalescing, forming....just as Earth was 4.5 billion years ago) collided with Earth. That object added mass to the total, and the resulting debris collected in orbit around Earth, eventually settling into a spherical shape...the Moon.

After that, well....you tell the story about right, according to the most likely theories today (always subject to further refinement, of course, the more science learns):

Also the moon was much closer to us during its early years and the earth had a 10 hour day this was about 4.5 billion years ago since that time the moon has receeded from us and because of this has slowed our rotation by 14 hours. As this continues our days will lengthen as well but this is happening at such a slow pace (The lengthening of Earth's day by 1.7 milliseconds each century) that we will never see a difference in our lifetimes.

The reason for this "planetary dance" of orbits has to due with the transfer of momentum....the rotational momentum that Earth possesses.....that energy is *robbed* by the Moon, and thus its velocity on orbit increases ever so slightly, ever so gradually. As any orbiting object's speed increases, the height of its orbit increases. Thus, we have the Moon moving away. We don't know if this has been constant over the last four billion years, probably was more rapid at first, and is gradually slowing in effect....but, in another few billion, the Moon will eventually escape the gravitational influence of Earth.

Not that we will care much.....even a thousand years is well beyond our concern, when considering the shortness of Human lifespans.....

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Since you asked. 2 shots from last night. I was experimenting with cloud trails and the moon.
So
??What's hiding behind the moon??

reduced original size

200% crop

reduced original size

200% crop

As you can see 2 different images, one image the moon on the right, the other the moon on the left.
As the angle has changed, the light fall into the lens changed, so does the lens flare.
The clear ball you see is a lens flare.
The moon is actual behind the cloud giving this bright light. first image left of the flare, second image on the right of the flare.
I added the 2 images so people know there is nothing but a lens flare to see.
I couldn't make close ups of the moon (borrowed my 200mm to a friend)

This one is from an earlier full moon
Maybe we can compare it to other ones taken this time and look for any differences?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wow, those are pretty awesome shots!
Thank you for sharing. First shot is breathtaking.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Thanks a lot

edit on 9-10-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Post Removed

edit on 9-10-2011 by Skellon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join