It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon....Who saw it last night and tonight.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The Moon sets about 50 minutes later each night.
www.timeanddate.com...

Exactly, not to mention, the moon can appear to be in different places, depending on when you go and look at it...

In other words, time is the factor that needs to be considered.

If you look at it at say.... 9:00 PM one night and then the next night at 10:00 PM, they will be in different places.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is why astronomy should be taught since kindergarden... Non stop.
On one side I applaud everyone who takes time to look up-outside. But when you see something you don't understand, you study it. Scientifically. And to do that you need to understand what you are talking about.
So it's really not the OP's fault.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by Violetshy
I have found more people are becoming aware of the moon and stars. I'm not sure why we are all suddenly looking to the sky, but I've found that the same sky I've looked at all my life suddenly looks different to me. I'm more curious, its almost as if we are looking for something to be wrong, but my Stellarium has assured me every night, that everything is in the right place, so maybe we are just becoming more aware of the sky.

Stellarium is just animation and can be faked. If you want the real thing go outside.

And this is why you learn nothing about how things actually work. Even if you use similar software from 80s you will get same results.

You are just making up wild assumptions and theories based on your lack of knowledge about how moon orbits the earth.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
This is why astronomy should be taught since kindergarden... Non stop.
On one side I applaud everyone who takes time to look up-outside. But when you see something you don't understand, you study it. Scientifically. And to do that you need to understand what you are talking about.
So it's really not the OP's fault.

At least back when i went to elementary school here in Norway they at least taught us these basic things.
This is why it always amazes me when such threads show up.
Either they must have been asleep during those classes, or their educational system must be even worse than here.

Also just because you can find something on google dosent mean it is true.
You can find sites that claim they are scientifically based that still backs up any kind of far fetched idea out there.
edit on 8-10-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It's this thread again! Regular posts about the moon looking 'weird' on ATS are more reliable than atomic clocks. I haven't been on in a while, but I'm glad to see people are still watching the moon.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I saw it yesterday in broad daylight. Looked normal to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

"I never saw (noticed) that before! Something is wrong with: 1) The Moon, 2) The Sun, 3) The north pole....!"
It's a pretty self-centered reaction. It couldn't possibly be my observational skills or my lack of knowledge on a subject. It must be something new and probably scary.

What happened to "I never saw (noticed) that before! I'll go and read something to find out what's going on."

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Viewed the moon Monday or Tuesday night in my scope. Appeared normal to me. Going to get the scope out tonight and not expecting any significant changes. BTW, There is a Meteor shower scheduled tonight. The best time for my area is daylight about now..blah.
If you have stellarium, look for the Draco constellation. It will be in the North area for me about 11pm. the moon brightness may hinder your viewing.
edit on 10/8/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I know this sounds crazy. But didn't anyone notice the moon last night. Did it not look a lot lower, yesterday the moon was behind my trees, today it was way above. Also, the stars looked a lot higher. Today the Moon is higher and stars look at a lot lower. I am sober as a rock. I'm just curious if anyone else noticed this.

Thanks.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

This is because it do change altitude day by day and even rises and sets at different times. This is and was always the case.
It also changes depending on season.

But the stars on the other hand did not change positions, unless you observed it at a different time of day/night.

Could be possible. I'll do a set time when I go there for a week straight and see. Sometimes it seems like the stars, are on one side, and everything else is on the other side, is black. Like, half has stars, the other half don't, or it's either lower the moon, or higher than moon. 12AM will be the set time every night.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen633414

Beautiful image.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Viewed the moon Monday or Tuesday night in my scope. Appeared normal to me. Going to get the scope out tonight and not expecting any significant changes. BTW, There is a Meteor shower scheduled tonight. The best time for my area is daylight about now..blah.
If you have stellarium, look for the Draco constellation. It will be in the North area for me about 11pm. the moon brightness may hinder your viewing.

What are the coordinates? I don't know how to put it in. Thanks.

***Also, for also those attacking the education system. I have a 3.86 so KMA. Biology pretty much killed it, but I never took biology.

These days education in high school is a lot more strict, back then, it wasn't as strict. It was just basic stuff, it wasn't all this in-depth reading.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Thank you! Taking pics is kind of becoming a hobby and the moon is one of my favorite subjects.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I know this sounds crazy. But didn't anyone notice the moon last night. Did it not look a lot lower, yesterday the moon was behind my trees, today it was way above. Also, the stars looked a lot higher. Today the Moon is higher and stars look at a lot lower. I am sober as a rock. I'm just curious if anyone else noticed this.

Thanks.

This is because it do change altitude day by day and even rises and sets at different times. This is and was always the case.
It also changes depending on season.

But the stars on the other hand did not change positions, unless you observed it at a different time of day/night.

lol.... I think I know what you mean .... stars don't appear to move in respect with each other over time we observe. Technically stars do move in respect with each other, depending on their distance from the sun, and stars rise 4 minutes earlier every day. A solar day is 24 hours, but a sidereal (or star day is 23hours, 56 minutes), meaning that every day the same star rises 4 minutes earlier than the previous day, that is why we see different constellations in winter than in summer. In areas with a more normal latitude than Norway, in which you can't see the celestial pole the whole year round, it is much more noticable. Where I came from, Orion was the main constellation visible in summer, and Scorpio in winter...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What are the coordinates? I don't know how to put it in. Thanks

On the bottom left tool bar enable constellation lines and names. that is the easiest. Also the left side tool bar has a search, just type in Draco Also there is a clock which you can adjust for specific time and date

On October 8th, Earth will pass through a network of dusty filaments shed by Comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner. Forecasters expect the encounter to produce anywhere from a few dozen to a thousand meteors per hour visible mainly over Europe, northern Africa and the Middle East. The meteors will stream from the northern constellation Draco--hence their name, the "Draconids." Peak rates should occur between 1600 UT and 2200 UT (noon - 6 pm EDT) as Earth grazes a series of filaments nearly intersecting our planet's orbit. Analysts at the NASA Meteoroid Environment Office prepared this plot showing how the meteor rate is likely to vary:
Spaceweather.com

There is plenty of info and liks at the site for more info.
edit on 10/8/2011 by mugger because: add

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

What are the coordinates? I don't know how to put it in. Thanks

On the bottom left tool bar enable constellation lines and names. that is the easiest. Also the left side tool bar has a search, just type in Draco Also there is a clock which you can adjust for specific time and date

Okay thanks. Still hate the program.
Can't find the zoom feature.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Zoom feature. Just use that little scroll on your mouse

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

duh,

I don't like this program. all you see is white dots, not what is actually there.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

reply to post by mugger

duh,

I don't like this program. all you see is white dots, not what is actually there.

If you click the little white dots it'll tell you what it is. Also I like to put the constellations "on".

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09

reply to post by mugger

duh,

If you click the little white dots it'll tell you what it is. Also I like to put the constellations "on".

I did click the white dot. Yeah, it gives me a name but that's about it. Still remain a white dot. I want to see inside it.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Enable the nebulas and zoom in on those. You will appreciate those . Andromeda, Crab Nebula.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join