It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I let you through the checkpoint?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Contrary to what you put in your post, there are people who have in fact, lived off the land, without monocultures or any of that crap.

The natives of north america for example.
edit on 8-10-2011 by xawesomepants because: my awesome spelling

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The lesson from this little thought experiment is that most of the people replying have no particular skills at producing food. So, if anyone wants to survive with a marketable skill, it looks like gardening and farming will be the rarest ones.

The "compound" is looking like the Donner Party Campground

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by xawesomepants

Reread what I said.....

The land could support the Native Americans because tribes were smaller and there weren't that many.

The land can't now because of population size, which is why we now resort to artificial means.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i have training in natural remedies, particularly remedies from food sources, such as herbs, spices and other medicinal foods. i have fairly good knowledge of massage techniques, particularly of the hands, feet and scalp. i'm trained in various types of grooming standards, particularly those related to hair. i play several musical instruments, have some artistic talent, and can write poetry. i'm also a fan of ancient mythology, know alot of ancient history and have some skill in translating languages across cultural boundaries.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I was raised on a horse farm. So I know how to breed horses. I know how to break and shoe a horse and an expert in there care and upkeep. I was an EMT for 4 years. I have been a carpenter for 15 years. I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol as a teenager, and know how to fly a plane. I know how to hunt, fish, and trap. I know how to can fruit and vegetables. I know how to smoke and cure meats. I am a master mechanic, and have never run across anything I couldn’t fix. I can run a varied array of heavy equipment. To cap that all off, I am also an amateur inventor.

If that don’t get me in, I’ll walk on. Because no matter what the odds, I know I can survive.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikemck1976
I was raised on a horse farm. So I know how to breed horses. I know how to break and shoe a horse and an expert in there care and upkeep. I was an EMT for 4 years. I have been a carpenter for 15 years. I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol as a teenager, and know how to fly a plane. I know how to hunt, fish, and trap. I know how to can fruit and vegetables. I know how to smoke and cure meats. I am a master mechanic, and have never run across anything I couldn’t fix. I can run a varied array of heavy equipment. To cap that all off, I am also an amateur inventor.

If that don’t get me in, I’ll walk on. Because no matter what the odds, I know I can survive.

dang. you're hired! lol good grief charlie brown .
you're like a living computer. you must have an outrageously high IQ.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Very interesting thread, just got done reading 21 pages......

Gardening, canning, food preservation. (Skills anyone can learn easily.)
Hunting, trapping, skinning and cleaning, and fishing. (Able to produce food.)
Mechanical wizard. (Can't have enough of those!)
Quilting and sewing. (I'll be rolling up to the checkpoint with a capped 4x4 loaded with supplies, including foot powered sewing machines.)

Ok, the OP said anyone able to list more than three skills....I have too many to list.

However, I don't know if I'd stay. I'd want more of a free access policy in place, and a place to bring supplies. Sort of a base camp, as I plan on frequently scavenging for more supplies. Once the camp is set up, we'll need scouts and scavengers to look for supplies. We may need to conduct "missions" to raid for supplies. I'll want to coordinate with others for "recon" patrols. We'll need four wheelers, and distill alcohol (plenty of brewers, aye?) for them to run on.

We'll need perimeters set up, and people to monitor them to watch out for zombies and all the crazy solo commandos.

Uhm, I'm fixed, so I won't be able to contribute to population expansion, but I make a pretty good teacher. I'm also good with a female leader, but to make it more interesting, I say we vote on a council of women to run the community. The power shouldn't be in the hands of a single female, but I think the camp would be successful under female leadership. No male testosterone to fuddle their thinking, eh?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by mikemck1976

dang. you're hired! lol good grief charlie brown .
you're like a living computer. you must have an outrageously high IQ.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the most important skill of all. I know how to build Moonshine Still and how to produce Moonshine. That’s as good as money in a trade situation.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

With a post like this its unfair we can only give one star! I'd rather not be herded into a corral, thank you.

Edited to add: I can hunt, field dress, butcher, pack, can, sew, cook, garden, did I mention can?, carpentry with hand tools....... more than three and barely scratched the surface, sorry.
edit on 8/10/2011 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Thanks for the high praise

that survival skills like DaddyBare's are at a high premium

keep in mind I just changed my nic too... See the announcement of my name change here

for me my answer is simple... I'm just passing through... but I have news and a few things to trade before I go...

I don't want to give away to many secrets... but if your manning a checkpoint you do so with two people... one to make the initial contact and the other preferably hidden to provide cover fire... use some kind of innocent hand-signal to show you need help... like holding up both hands in a "I surrender" posture works for me...

oh and one parting bit

Grilled Venison Delight
2 pc.boneless loin(backstraps) about 10 inches each
2 cloves of garlic (keeps the vampires away)
Fresh black pepper
Salt
1cup burgundy wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small bunch italian style parsley (not curly parsley)
3-4 pc.fresh basil

Put wine and olive oil in a bowl or casserole dish, cut garlic and scallions into 1/4 " slices. Add to wine and oil mix. Coarsely chop parsley and add to mix: the parsley, salt, fresh pepper and whole basil leaves .Place backstraps in marinade( make sure they are completely submerged) and refrigerate for at least 12 hours......... Cooking: Either grill on BBQ or broil in oven. Use very high heat. Well done on the outside and medium rare on the inside is perfect. Please don't kill your deer twice. Once in the field is enough. Enjoy dinner.
edit on 8-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Why would I want inside your sitting duck compound? I think I'll just avoid your little compound, maybe interrogate the folks that venture outside to try and learn what may have happened, and then I'll move on to my pre-arranged safe zones.

I have no desire to be locked behind the walls of a compound when the enemy troops, or aliens, or viruses start coming around in force.

That's a very pessimistic, yet very real answer. I imagine that if people managed to form small communities it would either be like that movie Book of Eli, where it basically goes back to being the wild west, or we would act like the native americans and become semi nomadic, living off the land, helping some allied tribes, and decimating others

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Very interesting thread, I would have to say.....

Please let me in I am a former medic with the TA, I can cook and I watch Bear Grylls all the time.
Yeah big fail on the last one but please can I come in now?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
While many here on ATS would scoff at this, I would offer my theological/spiritual training and thinking to the community. At the end of the day humans have a physical and a spiritual side. In a really bad scenario, just as in any other time in life, there will always be those asking why, pointing the finger at God, wondering what happened to their loved ones who may have passed and so on. These are questions that most of us need to have some sort of answer to and those answers would be something that I could attempt to provide.

I also can make a really good antipasto salad.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
all these fancy degrees are all fine and dandy .Problem is you just described a world in which most high tek stuff will be useless .
If it was a emp none of your cars tractors of electronics will be working.
Now not that I want in but here is what I can do I can take most GMC cars tracks and convert them back to points ((any good junk yard will do) now your cars will be able to run (think that may help?
or how about making vege oil to run tractors ?? think that may help?
Or how about making a generator that needs NO out side power source ? No gas no wind no stream.
But it is water driven (closed system)
Or how about pluming? heating?
See thing is Im a old back yard mecinac type and being such have had to find ways to make things work WHEN I DONT HAVE THE PARTS. .Make my own version.
O you need a resume? Ok heres one REAL world thing I did .
A contractor friend of mine offered me a truck in trade to make his dump truck usable .
It was a desial with a blown moter .He takes me into a field sitting on the ground striped is a ford 390 gas engian .
He says he wants that in the dump truck LOLOL im like your joking?? its sitting out here god knows how long . and worse its a 390 they only made it two years parts are not possible to find .
But 3 weeks later after welding new engian mounts finding a electronic control wiring it into the trucks wiring .
I was driving it down the road .I did this in his back yard made all the brackets by hand to attach the generator and power steering pump .
after all that work he decides to sell it lolol
I also rebuilt a f 600 ford dump truck (that was fun 1965 or so model )
Built a irrigation system for a pond .That was a challenge a impeller pump drawing water up 20 feet (not easy to make work)
I could go on for days .You know the sad thing I have no work.
edit on 8-10-2011 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Having experience in Military and Law Enforcement actions, I am trained in Many different aspects of defense, offense and security.
Being a Country Boy, I know how not only survive, but thrive off the land.
I am also experienced in metal working, weapons manufacturing, small engines and electronics.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Since we are giving resumes, I will go on an answer.

I am a lethal shot.

I am intense in psychology and I can spot crazy from a mile away. I am also trained in psychological first aid.Which makes me a natural leader and I am very good at wrangling people through diplomacy, politics, or simply getting them to do what they are supposed or need to do.

The more intense the situation, the better I operate.

As I become leader of your compound, the person I choose to partner with is the person who can grow coffee XD

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

lol i don't do alcohol. but i can surely provide solutions from nature, for that hangover!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Dude says theres a EMP your electronics are usless .
Or is every one going to need word or excel in this brave new world?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
so many talking about how they can kill someone Well thats grreat now how about find a way to stop all the killing so it can be rebuilt HU???
here i am talking about how to fix things and so many are talking about how they can make it worse by killing even more then have alreday died

WOOOOOO the weirdest thing just happend when i edited this .
I clicked edit after i was done and the page refreshed But it refreshed to page 28 of this post and there is only 21 pages as of now.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join