It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Steve Jobs is dead... but what did he really give us?!?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I liked Jobs.
I admired how he built his company from the ground up got it hijacked then when Apple was taking a bath financially he came back and took the helm and brought new life to it.
Now look at Apple.

I say well done Jobs us Tech-Nerds will miss you.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Don't play the victim.

You came on here bashing what some people consider to be a leader of sorts, barely 24 hours after he died.

If you want the powers to be to show respect for life, then maybe you should show respect for death.

You opened yourself up to it.

It is easy to badmouth others when they are not here to defend themselves, or dead.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

He co-created the Apple II, which bought computers into schools, businesses and homes. This started moving computers out of the realm of room-sized, "geek" tools and into the world of office productivity.

No actually Steve Wozniak created the apple ii, jobs had nothing to do with it. Jobs was a friend of his who Wonzniak eventually employed, Jobs then backstabed him and tried to make his own company that failed, and eventually was just bought by apple.

He helped invent the Macintosh, which changed computing forever by introducing the concept of a graphical interface and a mouse. Things that we now take for granted... drag & drop, recycle bin and many other features that today you barely even notice.

Windows did that long before Macintosh

He helped develop the Apple IIc which was one of the worlds first small form factor computers and started the path towards what we now know as "laptops". The smaller, friendlier machine with a nice GUI also started off the concept of "usability" and "user friendliness". Something that even today companies are still fine tuning and trying to perfect.

If by helped you ment he was a salesman

Delivered the first printer capable of using Postscript at the same time that Pagemaker was released. Pagemaker was a massive hit with publishers, and Postscript is still used extensively today by graphic designers and publishers (mostly without them even realizing they are using it).

No idea about this one

He bought Pixar when it was just a fledging company, and turned it into the monster animation studio that it is today. Toy Story? Monsters Inc? Finding Nemo? Wall-E? Cars? all those movies your kids love..thank Steve and his desire for Pixar to become a leading graphical rendering company for that.

It would have happened anyway, there are tons of other similar companies, actually he probably stole jobs from other skilled animators from this corporate machine.

When he got kicked out of Apple, he ran off and started "NeXT". It was never massively popular with the popular but gained a big following in academic and programming circles due to the systems speed. The worlds first web server and web browser were written on a NeXT box.

NeXT was a total flop, why do you think it was bought by apple?

Although other music players already existed, the iPod forever changed the personal music player landscape and resulted in pretty much all it's competitors copying the design & functionality in one way or another. It was as big a change as moving from "Walkmans" to "Portable CD Players"

No the ipod just took the same idea of a basic MP3 player that was around for years before, but instead, made people use their format. More of a downgrade if you ask me.

MacOS X further brought user friendliness to the masses, but retained it's BSD roots under the shell to keep power users happy. At the time it was much easier for the computer uneducated to use than a Windows machine.

Ok sure.

He lead the way for the introduction of "Apple stores" at a time where most computer retailers had poorly trained staff that couldn't help with technical issues & confusing prices and specs for odd-matched machines. Personally I hate the Apple stores, but I can't deny that they were a genius move that to this day continues to drive Apple consumerism/culture.

So he made a store? Whoopie!

iTunes to date is the only successful electronic delivery platform for a wide range of music, videos, books and more that hasn't suffered from the wrath of the recording studios. Before iTunes, you had to know how to rip a CD, use a P2P program or know which websites to goto to download media. With iTunes, anyone can simply login, hit purchase and a short time later be enjoying a new album, or a new movie, or reading a new e-book.

LOL! You are an idiot. This # has been around long before the ipod existed.

The iPhone completely changed the face of smartphones almost overnight, with it's sleek appearance, touch screen and user friendly interface. Nearly all smart phones being released these days mimick the iPhone in some shape or form.

Sure so pda don't exist now?

MaxBook Air introduced the concept of "Ultrabooks". Ultra-light, small form factor laptops designed for maximum portability.

So its inventive to make a laptop that's that easy to break?

Before the iPad the general public had no idea what a "TabletPC" was, or why they were useful. Even today competitors are still racing to try and come up with a strong rival for the iPad.

No idiots didn't know what a tablet was.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Nothing ... he sold everything. Even his Soul.

He "Gave" us Toys

We "Gave" him Money

They "Gave" him support

He "Gave" his Soul

We "Gave" him aplause

They "Gave" him limited power

He "Gave" Them Profit

We "Gave" him Cancer

They "Gave" him the "Cure".

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I make music using my Macbook Pro. Without it I couldn't do what I want. I can play piano so I use a MIDI Keyboard. I played the drums for 1 year but can't afford a drum set so I use my keyboard as my drum pad.

All link up to my Macbook and I use Logic Pro 7. Apple makes some very good products when it comes to music and video editing although they are still a decade to 2 generations behind in the Graphics department.

That is where they lack the most I would say. Once apple finds a way to create a gaming console on par with Xbox 360 and playstation ( actually on par with the next gen consoles ) then they will truly have achieved something, crossing over into a unknown market and dominating it.

But yea I dont' play guitar and don't have access to a real studio or thousands of dollars in equipment. But with the macbook and loigc pro ( another apple product ...euivelent to pro-tools ) I can ake whatever sounds I want, use whatever plug-in instruments and virtual instruments all I want.

I could never do this the way I do it now without steve jobs input and ideas at some point.

HE didn't create computer music or eve the ability to make it, but the Efficiency at which my machine runs is astounding,

Ask anyone who uses a mac for music or video editing or creation and they will go on for hours about what they love about it.

Thank you Steve Jobs. If you weren't directly responsible for what I said above then you at least were the spark that allowed it to happen. An i-catalyst if you will.

Thanks and R.I.P.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Apple/Jobs bashing thread?

What have any of you done?

The man has passed away.

Grow up....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I remember when my Dad back in the day came home with a brand new Crash-an-Toss I mean Macintosh. What a disaster that was. But still he was a apple fan and still is to this day and wont buy anything else.

I prefer Microsquish simply because I'm more familiar with it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I feel bad for anyone who dies young(ish). He was only 56, but then again I don't really see the need for everyone to be in such a depressive mood over Steve Jobs dying. Thousands upon thousands die each year, many even better people then him. Yet, since he never made a white plastic computer with a glowing apple on it, no one cares.

I'm a huge fan of Apple. I'm writing this on a MacBook. But still, come on.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Personally, I have nothing against the man.

Although he did many good things...

But, what he gave us was a world full of distracted individuals that could not see past those little screens.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ooder57
All of his products are all but a trend in todays society. His products scream "anti-social behaviour". Everyone I know whom owns an Apple product, as very hard to get away from their devices for a decent conversation. Instead, they are sitting with their faces planted in their Apple product. You will get half way through a conversation with said friend, before they hear a ding in their pocket, pull out their iphone and start tapping away at their screen...on Facebook. And do not get me started about Facebook.

LOL! So true!! Often when I'm at lunch I'll look around and see people having lunch together just pecking away at their phones. So they're with person 'A', but conversing with person 'B' elsewhere. I have no doubt that when they're at dinner with person 'B' they spend all their time tapping away to person 'A' on their phone. And let's not get started on the people who are losing their lives (and killing others) because they can't drive for 5 minutes without checking messages on their phone. You are so right, it is totally anti-social behavior, and not in the good "let's wake society up" punk rock way but in a terrible "anti-interaction" way. Not that I'm laying the blame on Jobs, he spearheaded some excellent products. I love my iPhone! But like any tool, it can be abused and this is the problem, our society has all kind of cool gadgets but uses them in all the wrong ways.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
ahhh..the great 'i' again....it may come as a shock but most people in the world do not own computers..yes an assumtion on my part...but i wonder how many people in the so called '3rd' world countries or for that matter 'rural this or that' know mr. jobs and the great and powerfull things his company did for the wealthy and advanced countries?

do you know that there are areas in the u.s that recieve no cell phone reception and internet acess is nill?

his company may have been a leader is technology for a fraction of people in this world but i think all this revering is way over board.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

took the power away yet only survived as a corporation thanks to generous donations by Bill Gates to resolve a settlement.

any mention of the fact that Apple could have moved all of its jobs to the US and still seen ridiculous profits but Steve kept the jobs in China so they could amass more wealth that all of US(A)?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The OP is just looking for attention and really should be spending his energy doing research than 'cry wolf'

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I feel ya. This one is a mixed bag for me, however.

I'll never forget that Jobs and Apple gave me the tools to pursue and succeed in my creative endeavors. If it wasn't for Apple I might still be stuck in a news studio somewhere.

Instead, I've been able to travel, thoroughly enjoy my work, and be a part of many interesting--for me--experiences. I can't forget that and I will remain grateful to Jobs for finding and serving a market amongst us creatives.

Did Jobs do it for the $? Mostly, but he allowed me to share the wealth so-to-speak as I continue to use Mac products in my professional life.

Having said that, I also see the sociological damage that always seems to walk hand-in-hand with technology. Like I said: This one is a mixed bag for me.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
OMG Muckster, do you know ANYTHING?

Jobs was a genius, i am NOT talking about the silly iphone and ipad etc. stuff.... he was a driving and leading figure back in the time when personal computers slowly became mainstream.

He was the first who visioned and realized a graphical user interface for personal computers, Gates then STOLE his idea for Windows. As a computer freak, internet user etc. there is no way without having DEEP respect for jobs and what he has done.

The Apple "gadget" mania came way later, i never had a Mac...but you need to admit that their marketing is/was PURE GENIUS and their gadget and devices set standards.

A man who truly realized his dreams and played a BIIIIIG role when it comes to computers and how we work with them today.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Second, there would be no internet or computer for you to express yourself and broadcast to the world.

Ever hear of a Commodore Amiga or Atari ST? Ever hear of Tim Berners-Lee? What about ARPANET?Or even Minitel?

Do yourself and everyone else a favour, take down all your Steve Jobs centerfolds, and read up on the history of personal computing and the internet.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Not to mention the fact that the Graphic user interface with a mouse was actually first constructed by Xerox PARC in the form of the Xerox Alto 1973, way before Wozzer and Jobs.

You'd think the "Jobbies" would do a little research before claiming SJ invented everything, it's so ironic that actually he was a salesman.

Oh and Al Gore invented the internet..

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Don't play the victim.

You came on here bashing what some people consider to be a leader of sorts, barely 24 hours after he died.

If you want the powers to be to show respect for life, then maybe you should show respect for death.

You opened yourself up to it.

It is easy to badmouth others when they are not here to defend themselves, or dead.

Calm down... no need to get excited... this is a forum for conversations... sometimes those conversations may be a little controversial for you but understand this... I have not broken any ATS rules, I have not bad mouthed Steve Jobs, called him silly names or used personal attacks, I have not told any lies about him, and I even said that it’s sad that he died.

However, I wanted to point out some of the truths about Apple and ask people to think honestly about what this man (who everyone now seems to revere) has really done for the world.

You then called me a hypocrite and came into the thread with an aggressive tone and accusatory manner... You don’t like this thread? Got nothing to contribute but personal attacks against me?? Fine, go and look at a thread that you can contribute to a bit more constructively.

I will continue to exercise my freedom of speech and openly discuss Steve Jobs and his company, regardless of if a few people don’t like what I am saying.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Jobs was a genius, i am NOT talking about the silly iphone and ipad etc. stuff.... he was a driving and leading figure back in the time when personal computers slowly became mainstream.

He was the first who visioned and realized a graphical user interface for personal computers, Gates then STOLE his idea for Windows. As a computer freak, internet user etc. there is no way without having DEEP respect for jobs and what he has done.

The Apple "gadget" mania came way later, i never had a Mac...but you need to admit that their marketing is/was PURE GENIUS and their gadget and devices set standards.

A man who truly realized his dreams and played a BIIIIIG role when it comes to computers and how we work with them today.

Sorry buddy, WRONG you are.

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
Not to mention the fact that the Graphic user interface with a mouse was actually first constructed by Xerox PARC in the form of the Xerox Alto 1973, way before Wozzer and Jobs.

You'd think the "Jobbies" would do a little research before claiming SJ invented everything, it's so ironic that actually he was a salesman.

Oh and Al Gore invented the internet..

Cosmic...

RIGHT you are...here is a link to the Alto
Xerox Alto

Jobs was only a master of MARKETING and criminal businessman dealings. Gates is the same or worse but at least his head was down in the code he stole.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Are you suggesting that had it not been for Jobs' endorsement we would not be using a GUI now. Please don't tell me you think he invented the GUI, or the mouse for that matter. He "stole" those from Zerox.

Did Commodore steal their GUI from Jobs too?

Apple are obsessively possessive. They own everything, no third party input allowed. How come they are not accused by Creative labs for stealing the Mp3Player? Or what about the keyboard. Who did they steal that idea from?Did they steal the idea for a screen from John Logie Baird?

Pc by contrast is a universe where anyone can exist. It's an open source world.Buyers have a vast array of options whether looking for hardware or software.It is far more communal yet provides a platform for individuality far beyond what Apple can offer with it's :"One size fits all because we are all individuals" policy. You can be just as individual and "creative" and smug as anybody else who bought the same identical over priced, mass produced lump of plastic, Mac. Or you can pay 1/3rd the money and get a PC that doesn't look as cool but actually does more stuff and has more software and hardware available for it.

Jobs was a marketing genius. He came up with tablets a decade after his PC competitors, realising that they had been way ahead of their time and available technology. Can anyone even remember who launched the first touchscreen tablet? I'd have to look it up.
Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, rather they ironed out the creases and set up the music marketing side of things before launching the highly restrictive iPod, inferior in every way to it's competitors but quality of built and simplicty of use.

Jobs greatest talent was his timing. Apart from a couple of disasters, his product releases were usually timed perfectly. Just when PCs were leaning over to the business world, leaving the home market to Atari and Commodore, he bridged the gap between those two markets.This would have been done soioner or later anyway by his competitors, but never as smoothly.

As for the iPhone, that was a masterstroke. Apple moved into new territory, and rewrote the rules overnight. They did however "steal" from Alexander Graham Bell, Nikola Tesla,Marconi, Tim Berners-Lee among others, to make it happen.

edit on 6-10-2011 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join