It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Steve Jobs is dead... but what did he really give us?!?!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Apple definitely is a big business gone wrong. I abandoned Macs about a decade ago when they stopped making these cool designs and went downhill to go mainstream and outsource to China. The move towards Intel was a final nail in the coffin for the company who used to have "Think different" as a logo.

Why so many lefties and liberals proudly have iBooks and iPhones was always beyond me.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The world is completely different today because of Steve Jobs. iPhones were called a stupid idea. Then everyone else tried to imitate. iPads were called a stupid idea. Then everyone else tried to imitate. They said iTunes would never work. It worked.

Back in the 1990s, I remember my Windows system computers crashed 10 times per day with that "illegal operation" window that came up all the time. I had a Mac with OS 9 that crashed twice in 5 years and only because I accidentally hit a weird combination of keys on it.

Go ahead and hate all you want. Go ahead and insult all you want. That seems to be what clueless people have to resort to.

edit on 7-10-2011 by ClintK because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
He helped to create Pixar and was an executive producer of Toy Story.

It's globalism that causes child labour.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Yup... Let's start with ll those really cool viruses. All those convoluted solutions that gear heads only can u understand. Let's be accepting of the Universal Fix... Reboot!!! Because we don't really know the problem and how to fix it.

And what's the matter with simplification and ease of use? just curious... Not trying to argue. After 25 years I finally jumped out of Windows to Mac, and happen to enjoy it very much, unless suddenly I am dumber or more proletariat than last month. LOL!

luv to ya Bro... I'm just blowin' smoke.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Yup... Let's start with ll those really cool viruses. All those illegal operations signs. All those convoluted solutions that gear heads only can understand. Let's be accepting of the Universal Fix... Reboot!!! Because we don't really know the problem and how to fix it.

And what's the matter with simplification and ease of use? just curious... Not trying to argue. After 30+ years I finally jumped out of Windows to Mac, and happen to enjoy it very much, unless suddenly I am dumber or more proletariat than last month. LOL!

luv to ya Bro... I'm just blowin' smoke.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClintK
The world is completely different today because of Steve Jobs. iPhones were called a stupid idea. Then everyone else tried to imitate. iPads were called a stupid idea. Then everyone else tried to imitate. They said iTunes would never work. It worked.

All the handheld devices designed by Apple were NOTHING new, only taken from earlier designs that didn't sold much...

- iPad: Tablet PCs and "Internet tablet"

- iPod: MP3 players existed for years before

- iPhone: Pocket PCs (even 3G-ready) were there a few years before, as well.

- iTune... well, not so much of an improvement on Napster and Gnutella. You pay bucks for what you could already have for free.

Apple did NO innovation since the days of the iMac, just slightly improving on already available tech, with somewhat better design.

Did it changed your life, or took it from you?
edit on 7/10/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I really do not understand some of these replies or the insulting and threatening U2U's...

I would like to point out the following for clarity...

I have never said that I hate Steve Jobs
I never once claimed that Steve Jobs wasn’t clever
Although I have been critical, I have tried to be careful and tactful and not insult Steve Jobs personally or his family
I Have pointed out un-ethical behaviour of Apple
I have point out my worries regarding the Social and physiological effects of Apple products

But it seem that people just ignore this, accuse me, and others, of hatred. And when it is pointed out to them that Apple has used exploited work force, child labour and caused environmental damage there are three main responses...

1) "You've got no idea what Steve Jobs done for the word... he invented ipod the iphone the ikeetle the ieye etc..."

2) “What have you done in your life that so great? Steve Jobs is a hero”

3) “Every company uses exploited labour and damages the environment”

So to answer these irrelevent response's...

I do have an idea what consumer wonders Steve Jobs brought to the world... But i am asking "Are these silly toys worth the suffering of the people who make them for you

I have done many great things in my life... I have raised respectful children, been a loyal husband, turned down opportunities to make money because they have gone against my convictions... Yeah... I'm quite happy with my humble success's... I have not brainwashed millions into thinking that without some material junk in their back pocket they are worthless... I have NOT used slave to make me rich... or Child labour... and I have tried my best to purchase items from ethical suppliers whenever possible.

Many companies do use exploited work forces and damage the environment... and i have created threads about this in the past... this is not about them... this is about Apple, with Steve Jobs at the helm.

I do not hate Steve Jobs and never have... But i really do not like what he did!!

As i explained in an earlier post... You may not like my timing... but did apple stop production or advertising when the suicide victims were being buried?? No... they just carried on as normal.

One thing this thread has shown me, and it’s something that no really worries me, is just how far the social brain washing has gone!

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I would also like to say thank you to those who disagreed with me but argued in a more grown up way while explaining their beliefs and feelings on the issue

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Asking that question is like asking "What Did Star Trek Ever Do For the World?"

Jobs and his creations inspired people. He employed thousands, his imitators employed thousands, he inspired the connection of the world.

We may deride Facebook, and blogging, and texting, and tweeting, but when we do (and I have done so many times) we are really commenting on ourselves and our poor use of the platforms.

I own an iPod and iPhone and would be just as happy with an MP3 player and an Android phone, but none of them would exist as they are without Jobs' designs or inspiration.

Star Trek shaped science fiction and the transition to science fact, Jobs took science fact to applied commercial science.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

All accomplishments have postive and negative aspects and to linger on any one aspect will color ones opinion. Steve Jobs was good at what he did of that there is no question and he didn't seem like a bad fellow. I wish more American companies were as successful as Apple. In the interest of full disclosure I will add: I have spent countless hours listening to music and Podcasts (including some from ATS!) on my Ipod and if someone were to hand me an ipad I would not cry.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's all about the audience

From what I observe, most ATS members are anti-corporations and corporatism, anti-MSM, anti-TPTB, etc... A quick unofficial cursory view, it looks like 75% against / 25% for. Ask the exact same question on any MSM outlet... the response would most likely be the exact inverse.

Corporations, schmorcorations. I remember about 25-30 yrs ago when everyone was bashing a big computer company.. and favoring M$.... The big computer company was bad, and doing bad things... supposedly. M$ was the big underdog at the time. Apple fits into the scenerio somewhere as well.... It's all just hokey pokey... and it looks like a pattern is emerging. In the end, it's like talking about baseball teams... yawn. .

Steve J. was a shrewd businessman... but I'm kind of disappointed to find that he died so fast after he 'retired'. All that $$$ and he had no time to really enjoy it. Kind of sucked for him.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
An iPad combined with a bluetooth keyboard is the ideal computer for tinnitus sufferers, I applause Apple for that, but I need to repeat myself: if you plan to buy an iMac, be very careful because almost all the iMacs they sell are defective. You should ask the salesman to open the box and power on the computer in front of you. If a dark horizontal stripe appears at the bottom of the screen (during bootup and on a white background, in fullscreen mode, with the dock removed), it means that the machine is defective.

edit on 7-10-2011 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I fully agree OP. The man was all ego.

But anyways, he's dead so I won't say bad things about him right away.

Now that he's dead, maybe I'll buy an Apple product in the future.

Khar

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

With reference to your OP:
1 You claim that Apple is responsible for the death of 16 workers at FoxConn while saying Apple were not directly responsible. Your point was a vague attempt to slur Apple if anything at all.
2. You claim that IPOD, IMAC, IPHONE are part of some social disease call selfishness because the products names start with the letter I. Selfishness is part of the human condition. In short the point is pseudo-intellectual garbage.

You have only demonstrated that you are an attention seeker.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

LOL ispyed... nice name... Are you Apples version of James Bond

Seriously though... If people cannot come on ATS and say their opinion, what’s the point in it existing??

This thread was NOT attention seeking... if you read some of my previous threads you would know that I have had similar ones in the past... these are my beliefs and I will not be silenced. I haven’t said anything offensive, I really don’t see the problem

However, i feel that this thread has run its course... I have said all that I have to say on the matter and it now seems to just be going round in circles. All the Apple addicts providing long lists of "fantastic" apple products while ignoring any wrong doings that the company does.

I've never been comfortable with describing people as sheeple... it has always felt too mocking and carries an air of arrogance... but after reading some of the replies I cannot help but think what an apt description it is for many people. It saddens me to think about just how quickly people forget about the woes and misery of others when toys and trinkets are dangled in front of their faces....

Maybe we deserve what’s coming

And on that sad note... I leave this thread...

RIP Steve Jobs... I never hated you... But I didn’t like your company, its toys, or its two faced ethics.

Peace

edit on 7-10-2011 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

Originally posted by ClintK

All the handheld devices designed by Apple were NOTHING new, only taken from earlier designs that didn't sold much...

- iPad: Tablet PCs and "Internet tablet"

- iPod: MP3 players existed for years before

- iPhone: Pocket PCs (even 3G-ready) were there a few years before, as well.

- iTune... well, not so much of an improvement on Napster and Gnutella. You pay bucks for what you could already have for free.

Apple did NO innovation since the days of the iMac, just slightly improving on already available tech, with somewhat better design.

Did it changed your life, or took it from you?
edit on 7/10/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

So what if MP3 players existed a few years before? If people really thought they were worthwhile, then we wouldn't have the iPod.

There was NOTHING like the iPad. I HAD one of those tablet computers about a 2 years before the iPad came out. Tablet computers were just notebook PC with a fancy display you could write on. To compare them to the iPad is ridiculous. I get the impression you've never used an iPad. It's a whole different world than a tablet computer. If it was the same thing, it wouldn't have been ridiculed when it came out.

No, you wouldn't still be able to download free from Napster. That issue was decided by the courts years ago. Besides, many people were looking for a WAY to pay for what they downloaded. They disliked stealing intellectual property. Apple made that easy through iTunes.

The iPhone was the first cell phone I ever used where the internet actually worked, and it was a phone developed around a platform to run infinite apps. There was nothing like it before.

Didn't you ever wonder WHY the earlier devices didn't sell much? I guess you just don't see it. There's never really ANYTHING truly "new" in consumer electronic technology. NOTHING comes completely from scratch. Everything that's successful in the marketplace is just a variation of something that came earlier.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by ispyed

LOL ispyed... nice name... Are you Apples version of James Bond

Seriously though... If people cannot come on ATS and say their opinion, what’s the point in it existing??

This thread was NOT attention seeking... if you read some of my previous threads you would know that I have had similar ones in the past... these are my beliefs and I will not be silenced. I haven’t said anything offensive, I really don’t see the problem

However, i feel that this thread has run its course... I have said all that I have to say on the matter and it now seems to just be going round in circles. All the Apple addicts providing long lists of "fantastic" apple products while ignoring any wrong doings that the company does.

I've never been comfortable with describing people as sheeple... it has always felt too mocking and carries an air of arrogance... but after reading some of the replies I cannot help but think what an apt description it is for many people. It saddens me to think about just how quickly people forget about the woes and misery of others when toys and trinkets are dangled in front of their faces....

Maybe we deserve what’s coming

And on that sad note... I leave this thread...

RIP Steve Jobs... I never hated you... But I didn’t like your company, its toys, or its two faced ethics.

Peace

edit on 7-10-2011 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

Its only because you choose to blame him for something he wasn't responsible for. It's like blaming the president for not doing enough to improve the road condition if you fall down while you are walking, or blaming the people behind Android for the existence of virus on smartphones. There is a limit to blaming up the chain.

If he's going down every month to check on them, someone is going to call him a obsessively possessive guy now (oh wait, they already did). If he choose to cut the deal with them, someone is going to blame him for not giving job opportunity to those china people, more so if foxconn have a mass layoff. He's not going to win in each and every scenario.

Saying his products doesn't have major impact since people have live a long way without products before that is a twisted logic. People has been traveling well on horse carriage and without the knowledge of gravity for years, are we not suppose to appreciate the invention of cars and the discoverer of the knowledge of gravity now? Same goes to lightbulb, train, an engine, a belt and more.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au
the ipad can be seen in 2001 a space odyssey

Keep going right and you will see the tablet! from 1968! a Prop I would Assume .. The NewsPAD!

Actually their Vision Arthur C Clarke's Credit should be given to him if Anyone !..
IBM PAD 1968

Kinda Scary ! isn't !

(MOFONU)
Samsung claims Apple did not invent the tablet – 2001: Space Odyssey did
www.mofonu.com...

According to Samsung, Apple did not invent the tablet. It was the film 2001: A Space Odyssey who was responsible for the first tablet.
The Korean tech giant’s defense in the US court says, “In a clip from that film lasting about one minute, two astronauts are eating and, at the same time, using personal tablet computers.” Coupled with the statement,

Samsung has provided pictures showing the astronauts viewing their tablet PCs. “As with the design claimed by [Apple's] D’889 Patent, the tablet disclosed in the clip has an overall rectangular shape with a dominant display screen, narrow borders, a predominately flat front surface, a flat back surface (which is evident because the tablets are lying flat on the table’s surface), and a thin form factor.

clip1: Apple iPad in the 1969 classic: 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY

WOW! just WOW! LOL
iPad concept in movie 2001 (HD Close-Up Shot)

Apple May Lose iPad Design Patent Over a Movie Prop

by William Caraher on September 8, 2011

in Gadgets,Intellectual Property,Social Media Legal
www.c3social.com...

I Can Picture Steve Jobs or Steve Woz* Saying to each other we gotta Make one of these !
In Their Early Days

Well didn't someone say the Government is always a couple decade's Ahead of Present Technology

The Vision in 1968 in 2001 space Odyssey became a Reality as even more as Apple brought it Out

( technovelgy.com ) -- from 2001 Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke

Newspad
A notebook-sized computer and display screen for reading news stories or other text matter.
www.technovelgy.com...

Fiction is the Mother Of Invention !

How True ...

edit on 8-10-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The First Vision of the Ipad & Idea of GUI ? ICONS? From a Book Called...

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke:
( The NewsPAD )

“When he tired of official reports and memoranda and minutes, he would plug in his foolscap-size newspad into the ship’s information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one he would conjure up the world’s major electronic papers…Switching to the display unit’s short-term memory, he would hold the front page while he quickly searched the headlines and noted the items that interested him. Each had its own two-digit reference; when he punched that, the postage-stamp-size rectangle would expand until it neatly filled the screen and he could read it with comfort. When he had finished, he would flash back to the complete page and select a new subject for detailed examination…”

Source : 11 Astounding Sci-Fi Predictions That Came True
mashable.com...

Steve Jobs helped expand that Idea of Artur C Clarke's into a reality

Just to Note! if you Actually read the EX-TEXT I mean Really Read it!

That description is ! None Other than! the OSX operating System Folder System ! and the Vista as Well

Macworld San Francisco 2000-The Mac OS X Introduction (Pt.3) ( The Dock )

Mac OS X Panther - Expose

Both are Gone Now ..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What about the inventor of tie wraps ? The whole world uses them at some point , but I bet none of us can name the inventor without googling it .

Lets not forget that Steve Job made millions , so he got his reward .

Fame and wealth, just like life , are fleeting , because at the end of the day we are all just flesh and bone .

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join