It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Members.. How Would You Vote In a EU Referendum and Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
Failing that you could always move back to anywhere south of watford as they are all french there anyway

Ouch! I resent that remark

But the rest of your post makes a good point. After all, how happy woudl Siemens be if the EU decided that a UK outside couldn't trade freely?

After all, they just got a £1.5 Billion contract to build trains, at the expense of a British manufacturer! Apparently, paying the Germans a tiny bit less than it would have cost for the UK to build the trains is better value for money, despite the thousands of job losses and the benfit payments this will incur, not to mention the loss of a strategic asset.

And I bet a whole ton of money that this contract they signed ends up over budget and will cost more than the British tender would have cost anyway.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Absolutely!

It gives us the opportunity to become more competitive.. All of those millions that would have been ploughed into the eu nest egg could be redirected back into the country, updating our infrastructure, investing in manufacturing our high end goods, green tech etc creating thousands of jobs FOR BRITISH PEOPLE.

With our expertise and proper investment we would be world beaters in no time.

Plus

We can set our own agenda, making this country the go to place to conduct business with lower tax burdens and less red tape.

We will be able to feed ourselves pretty well and send surplus abroad as the farmland tied up in eu nonesence will be farmed again, our farmers no longer having to bow down to eu who keep them in servitude.. There are literally thousands of hectares of land left unfarmed because of eu dictates.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If it was my decision, I would leave the EU and make Britain Great again. We were fine before the EU and in the last 20 years the country has fallen into a downward spiral. We, the British people, need to look after our own country and run it ourselves. Yes, immigration is good, yes trade is essential and yes human rights are important but 'everything in moderation' is the key. Right now there is too much immigration, too much industry being shipped abroad where it's cheaper, too many human rights i.e in prisons (Criminals allowed TVs and PS3s.. what a joke).

We need to take the advances of the last 20-30 years an implement them into the pre 1960's WW2 mindset where education was tough and family life was the cornerstone of life. Yes social classes were a big divide back them but we've come out of that now.

All the external influence of the EU is no good for our nation and we need to look after number one.. us and our citizens.

Love thy neighbour.. but don't get into bed with her. Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Well, I wouldn't rule it out...

Is she hot? Will you get caught by the missus? These things have to be taken into consideration before making such a huge decision....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by EvanB

And that's where our growing (slowly, but surely) little movement some of us have cobbled together shall come in!

Our biggest problem though is educating the "masses" that it is a viable alternative. People don't like change, mainly because they fear it.

What movement's that? You've got me interested. You're right people are afraid of change, but it's better than going to hell in a handcart (whatever that means
).

Edit to add: I've just realised you'd breach the T&C's if you answer my question. Best send a U2U instead.
edit on 6/10/11 by Insomniac because: addition

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I would vote for the UK to withdraw from EU, and am one of the people actively working for a referendum on UK membership and withdraw from EU, My reasons were recently given within an article published with UK debating forum, which I posted on a blog started due to its length, which can be found here: phoenixoneuk.blogspot.com...

Extract from closing section of my article:

The UK possesses many problems, as does any nation on the planet. Relinquishing control to any foreign power, especially the EU, would not resolve such problems, they would add to them.

As long as we retain control of our own voice in Parliament we have a say in the fate and direction of our country, the UK. Surrender political control to the EU, and you also surrender your voice.

edit on 8-10-2011 by PhoenixOneUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2011 by PhoenixOneUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Is she hot? Will you get caught by the missus? These things have to be taken into consideration before making such a huge decision....

Exactly... and French women do have a sexy accent

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

But the Spanish are the best looking women, even the ugly ones are attractive. I think I prefer their accent too.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

LOL.... well ugly one's are ugly by default, no?
Otherwise they wouldn't be called ugly...

But yeah man, any accent is hot to be fair.

But yeah, French isn't my fav, just that they're our closest neighbours,(outside UK) apart from Ireland, so was going on the notion of bedding our neighbours.

I think all accents are sexy.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Yeah.....but they don't shave their legs and pits....I'll leave the rest to your own imagination!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If we had the vote? It would be withdrawal every single time. After a successful exit, harsh immigration and visa requirements should be placed for every foreign alien wishing to enter the UK for any type of visit.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

i think your sig resonates with this thread. my first experience with europe was 1990. i went contracting in europe with the hope of saving my sanity and earning some money to boot. i was however caught up in the trap of the working time directive which limited the hours worked
. every evening the majority did the usual, with spending on beer being the major drain on the pocket. first time i ever saw an englishman cry, boozed up, skint and wanting to go home. i myself limited my drinking to friday afternoons and saturday evenings but still got ribbed about being a pussy! coming up to christmas shutdown a lot of the guys were offered silly money to work on a milestone completion project at eurodisney. two solid weeks at 16 hour days equating to about £2200 all in including board and lodgings. the sub contractor did a runner and the guys got nothing save for a few who squeezed a sub off the paymaster. that kind of summed up the state of things in euroland for me.
euroland, a noble idea that went mouldy.
fakedirt

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkers
harsh immigration and visa requirements should be placed for every foreign alien wishing to enter the UK for any type of visit.

Nick.... is that you?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

That's pretty awful mate.

But yes, In principal, Europe sounded like a good idea.... but in reality, It just wont work.... people and greed ruin it.

Sadly, much like communism.

Oh well.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

lol, just remembered, it was the first time i ever (witnessed) woke up to someone taking a dump in the wardrobe at the digs!
there was a savage presence there but i assure you it was a southern, belly dancing, beer swilling girlyboy but on the flip side and kind of keeping on topic it did give the cleaners overtime, a noble contribution from the uk!
fakedirt

edit on 8-10-2011 by fakedirt because: reword

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Exactly... and French women do have a sexy accent

That just freaked me out. My next door neighbour is French. Thought I'd lost my anonimity for a moment there!

edit on 9-10-2011 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well well well....a three line whip. 100,000 sign the petition for the debate on a referendum....Hague calls that 'graffiti'. (Given Hague has spent his career vilifying Europe I'd say that's one man whose reputation should be in tatters).

Mp's who vote against the party line (that's each and every mp from each of the main parties) are at risk of losing their job because 'after all it's the party who put them there in the first place'. Listening to the radio this morning - the arrogance is stomach turning.

They have blatantly exposed themselves ...I can see the occupy movement getting bigger in this country after this pantomime. This is not democracy in action - this is dictatorship by the group. This country - but not me or my generation - was given a vote on joining the Common Market - would they have voted yes back then if they knew the whole agenda and the power creep we now face?

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I want out of the EU, I consider myself an Englishman like my ancestors. What the MPs did last night was disgusting, democracy is totally dead in the UK. 70% of the public want out, yet they voted against us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join