It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got 6 days before I ship off to Army Basic Training, any tips?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You have 6 days to change your mind. I wish you would consider that.
Our enemy is domestic and we need you here.

But since I know it is unlikely I will change your mind, I'll simply say
Godspeed. And stay away from the alcohol. Alcohol, guns and soldiers
don't mix. Good luck to you. I hope you come back alive and this
country isn't completely destroyed before you get back.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Thanks wWizard, thats some info I was looking for. To me alot of that type of stuff looks fun to me. I couldn't imagine going to training the in the summer that must be rough. I live done south anyway and just working outside wears me out.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeprodigy
Don't let them stress you stay calm and breathe and relax they try to stress you and get you off balance you stay calm and remember yes sir and no sir also after you get there your Training Instructor is going to ask to volunteer about what dorm duty you would like the first jobs are the best they get worse as the list go's on so listen up for a good one in the beginning

Thanks mikeprodigy, I didn't know that about the volunteer duties.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Thanks orbitbaby, I wouldn't change my mind anyway, but appreciate the support.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
Do Not Go Through With It. Back out.
You will become a hired-hand for murderers, and sacrifice your
soul and peace of mind.
Do not join a dastardly band who kill innocent children, women and men indiscriminately,
and by the millions.
Don't Do It!

Why would you spread an ideal like this? Believe it or not, there is something called an 'illegal order' you know. If you receive an order from your superior to do something like "kill innocent children, women and men indiscriminately" that superior can actually be tried with UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) action for being 'unethical'.

That's another important tip, ALWAYS remember anything from any regulation you hear. One you will hear most often is AR-670-1: Wear and Appearance of the Military Uniform. Memorizing little things like that may get you out of trouble one day. Trust me, I know from experience.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Things might have changed it was 72 when I went had basic

Good Luck

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This is like my third post of tips, but there is so much you really should know..

Don't try to be some super-soldier or outstanding individual because they will call you out on it and mockingly call you things like "hero". Which is actually kind of funny... but really, you aren't gonna get some special reward for being a kiss-ass.

On the other hand, you WILL BE REWARDED for things like, a high physical fitness score, and a high marksmanship score. Those things actually matter the most when it comes time for things like promotions, or different boards that you may be asked to perform in front of. I'll try to think of more things to advise you about.

P.S.- Go to some sort of religious service on Sundays.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MKultraVideos

Here's an unofficial promo video that has been floating around for a while now. Besides that the most useful advice I can offer you is that it's generally a bad idea to make yourself a silhouette.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKultraVideos

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Quit...

Laying down your life for the elite...dont see them sacrificing their kids do you??

Stay safe....and dont become a searcher

What is a searcher?

The people that search out for IED's...you walk down a road with a metal detector....if you are lucky you pick it up and dont stand on the pressure plate...if your unlucky you will lose several limbs or die.

I dont know how anyone would do that for a job. They are mainly young lads...several of those will lose there limbs this week

Be safe dude...i know we cant convince you to change your mind, so i wish you all the best

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Here's a bit of what I remember from basic training at Ft. Bliss...

When the drill sergeant stands nose to nose with you and asks you if you like him, the only correct answer is "I'm not here to like you Drill Sergeant!"

Don't carry any items with you into basic that can be considered "contraband" (cigarettes, candy, girly magazines, etc) unless you fully expect to give them away the moment you step off the bus.

No matter how unbearable the drill sergeants make your stay in basic, bear in mind that they aren't trying to tear you down but to build you up so that when the time comes you will be better able to take whatever it is that the enemy tries to put you through.

When you enter your barracks for the first time, pay attention to the floor. If you see a unit crest painted on the floor DO NOT walk across it. Always walk around it.

Never rat on your fellow soldier when they mess up, no matter what. The men you train with may one day hold your life in their hands. Don't give them any reason to hesitate to save your skin when the going gets tough.

These are just a few good tips, and I've seen other great tips posted on here by others. Good luck to you.

Army, 4-61st Air Defense Artillery

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
well i would say its a little late for advice. but im going to give you some anyway, im against the military but since your allready in.

Please have the up-most respect for other people and their cultures.

And if you have half a brain run now and go awol i dont think you fully know what you got yourself into.

their using you and paying chump change for it.

either way if you take any advice here or not good luck, try not to die, please try not to kill anyone.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
well i would say its a little late for advice. but im going to give you some anyway, im against the military but since your allready in.

Please have the up-most respect for other people and their cultures.

And if you have half a brain run now and go awol i dont think you fully know what you got yourself into.

their using you and paying chump change for it.

either way if you take any advice here or not good luck, try not to die, please try not to kill anyone.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You're gonna get him in trouble, grey580. LOL

Originally posted by grey580
Don't cut your hair.

I went in with a military regulation haircut. Drills were having a ball making the "long haired hippies" push the earth out of orbit with pushups just to mess with them.

Originally posted by grey580
The first and last thing out of your mouth should be sir.

Sir? The first people he will encounter will be the Drill Sergeants, and they will be the one's that he sees the most. Officers will rarely be spoken to during basic. You NEVER call a Drill Sergeant "Sir". The first and last thing out of his mouth (unless he is speaking directly to a commissioned officer) is "Drill Sergeant!"

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You heard the story of a person having a bad day at work and going home and kicking the dog?

All of your platoon will be given a lot of hassles. Some will seek to pass their repressed anger on to those that appear to be weaker. This is the classic bully situation. Don't allow youself to be the bottom of the pecking order.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Underworlds

Here's a bit of what I remember from basic training at Ft. Bliss...

When the drill sergeant stands nose to nose with you and asks you if you like him, the only correct answer is "I'm not here to like you Drill Sergeant!"

Don't carry any items with you into basic that can be considered "contraband" (cigarettes, candy, girly magazines, etc) unless you fully expect to give them away the moment you step off the bus.

No matter how unbearable the drill sergeants make your stay in basic, bear in mind that they aren't trying to tear you down but to build you up so that when the time comes you will be better able to take whatever it is that the enemy tries to put you through.

When you enter your barracks for the first time, pay attention to the floor. If you see a unit crest painted on the floor DO NOT walk across it. Always walk around it.

Never rat on your fellow soldier when they mess up, no matter what. The men you train with may one day hold your life in their hands. Don't give them any reason to hesitate to save your skin when the going gets tough.

These are just a few good tips, and I've seen other great tips posted on here by others. Good luck to you.

Army, 4-61st Air Defense Artillery

This is about the same as I could give and good luck on the RIP its hell but worth it. When you start your RIP look at the guy to your left and right chances are they wont make it. Its a continuation of basic but a 1000X's worse former heavy armor infantry (11hotel now rolled in to 11bravo) for the OP do you want to be a jump ranger or a leg ranger? P.S. you will also get to play in the woods at camp merril with the 5th for your mountain training in dahlonaga ga its fun

edit on 4-10-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
You heard the story of a person having a bad day at work and going home and kicking the dog?

All of your platoon will be given a lot of hassles. Some will seek to pass their repressed anger on to those that appear to be weaker. This is the classic bully situation. Don't allow youself to be the bottom of the pecking order.

We always called it "being the knife dummy"

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My brother just graduated a few days ago from Army Basic Training.

Here is what you have to look forward to:

He ended up with Pneumonia that wasn't treated until his fever was above 100. Then he got antibiotics and was sent back out. He only got 3 days worth of the antibiotics before someone stole them.

Everyone ended up with a form of nasty pink eye.

Within the first 3 days of PRE-basic.... 5 guys passed out, and 1 tried to commit suicide.

His bunk mate had ringworm.

He had to do an extra set of 25 pushups (while he had pneumonia) just because my mom mailed a letter addressed incorrectly.

No soap - only empty hand sanitizers.

Good luck!

edit on 4-10-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

That to, ah the good ole days

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Tried to find a good example of how drill sergeants will gang up and feed off of each other in order to make you feel uncomfortable. Stuff like this always gave me a good laugh.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

To thine ownself be true.. remember that! Also, anything you have going on in your head NOW.. get it straight before you get there, cause it will come back to haunt you. You have to be mentally strong, that's the main part of survival, mental endurance!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join