It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got 6 days before I ship off to Army Basic Training, any tips?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MKultraVideos

Easy:Leave your ego at home. You are going to be hounded to do alot of seemingly "stupid" stuff. Everything is done for a purpose;i.e. to make you what they need you to be.(If you can't be trusted to Keep a locker in order or fold your socks and underwear per standards ; how can they trust you with potentially lethal equipment?)

Its not about "you": Nobody cares How smart or tough you were before walking through the gate."They have been training folks for literally hundreds of years.They will tell you what to do and how to do it. your job is to learn to follow directions; form a team and sit on your ego.
best of luck! Entering and retiring from military(USAFmsgt ret.) was the best decision I ever made.It can be a pretty good life.

edit on 5-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Thank you! People like you who fight so I can have freedom (well somewhat anyways :lol
. I spent 4 years in teh NAVY & the hardest part for me at first was getting home sick. I missed all my family & friends. But you'll grow out of it & be fine. So keep a sharp mental focus but also learn to enjoy yourself.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What a waste of time!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
He already signed the dotted line guys so please stop trying to talk him out of it, even if he wanted to not go he doesnt have a choice now

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Dude
Firstly congratulations it sounds like you are joining for all the right reasons so be proud of yourself, and your decision. God gave you two ears but only one mouth, so it follows that you should listen more than you should talk. Never look a Corporal, Sergeant, or Officer directly in the eye, and keep yourself and your kit as clean as possible. Look out for your mates, and try to keep your answers to yes sir/no sir. Finally make sure you pack your sense of humour you are going to need it

Best wishes to you my young friend (let us know how you get along if you get the chance)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I wonder who your first kill will be?
Are you looking forward to finding out?

Remember (or forget?), Your job is not to protect freedoms, but to take freedoms away.
Just shut up and do what you are told.
You now work for people who make the nazis
look considerate.
The U.S. military (and U.K.) is now a disgrace and horror to humanity and its
lackey soldiers and marines are anything but heroic.
Far worse than being a sheep, is being a sheep with a gun.

You are not brave if you kill innocent people, under orders and without question.
You are doomed. By yourself and you conscience.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38

Remember (or forget?), Your job is not to protect freedoms, but to take freedoms away.
look considerate.

You are not brave if you kill innocent people, under orders and without question.

give me an example of when our Army has taken our freedoms away! Your post is absolutely BUSH LEAGUE, and a prime example of poor critical thinking skills.You obviously have never had any military experience and believe every ATS post you read.. you need to distinguish between reality and conspiracy. Just because you read alternate media sources (although maybe right) it isn't proven.. so until we, as Americans, know otherwise he will be a hero to this country. You should be ashamed of yourself to down him for joining.. if this country gets caught red handed being shady who do you think our army is going to be in the revolution? Use your head man and give soldiers the credit they deserve. You should be thanking him too because he will be , regardless of our governments agendas, still fighting for your 1st amendment so you can make outrageous statements.
Learn to evaluate both sides of things. Besides.. name something you've done for your country (or others) besides yourself?.. I'm going to make an assumption by the way you're talking and say you can't.

31b
edit on 5-10-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

You Sir/Madam post like a buffoon
It makes you sound like your personallity is comprised of leftish post modern cliches. There is nothing insightful, or individual about anything you said. ATS is about denying ignorance but your post is just that ignorant.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo

look considerate.

give me an example of when our Army has taken our freedoms away! Your post is absolutely BUSH LEAGUE, and a prime example of poor critical thinking skills.You obviously have never had any military experience and believe every ATS post you read.. you need to distinguish between reality and conspiracy. Just because you read alternate media sources (although maybe right) it isn't proven.. so until we, as Americans, know otherwise he will be a hero to this country. You should be ashamed of yourself to down him for joining.. if this country gets caught red handed being shady who do you think our army is going to be in the revolution? Use your head man and give soldiers the credit they deserve. You should be thanking him too because he will be , regardless of our governments agendas, still fighting for your 1st amendment so you can make outrageous statements.
Learn to evaluate both sides of things. Besides.. name something you've done for your country (or others) besides yourself?.. I'm going to make an assumption by the way you're talking and say you can't.

31b

Until you know otherwise????? Who the f* murdered 1.5million+ innocent middle-easterns in
recent times, under false and contrived pretences? Which corporation has brought untold and
unjust misery to untold numbers in the last 50+ years and flails its slippery tenticles worldwide
under the guise of protecting freedoms and spreading democracy (how laughable when you
realise how easily Bush stole both elections!). Who unnecessarily dropped 2 atomic bombs
on Japan wiping out 300,000 in an instant. All this, and so much more.
And funnily enough U.S. citizens are now less free than they have ever been.
You swallow the BS and propaganda all you like 31b. You probably made an excellent
soldier (from your bosses point of view). Have you questioned why the poppy production
output of Afghanistan has skyrocketed again since the US occupation?
I know. It's Not your place to question.

What have i done for my country you ask?
Well I haven't killed innocents for it, nor could I imagine ever doing so!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
reply to post by pshea38

You Sir/Madam post like a buffoon
It makes you sound like your personallity is comprised of leftish post modern cliches. There is nothing insightful, or individual about anything you said. ATS is about denying ignorance but your post is just that ignorant.

Let me guess. Another (ex) military man.
Feel free to defend your despicable and murderous masters quests.
Always the aggressors (under differing titles).

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

If the enemy is in range, so are you.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.

Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.

Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous.

Teamwork is essential, it gives them someone else to shoot at.

If your attack is going well, then it's an ambush.

Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.

When you've secured the area, don't forget to tell the enemy.

Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.

Friendly fire isn't.

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
A grenade with a seven second fuse will always burn down in four seconds.

Remember, a retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.

If at first you don't succeed call in an air-strike.

Exceptions prove the rule, and destroy the battle plan.

The enemy never watches until you make a mistake.

A clean (and dry) set of BDU's is a magnet for mud and rain.

Whenever you have plenty of ammo, you never miss. Whenever you are low on ammo, you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The more a weapon costs, the farther you will have to send it away to be repaired.

Field experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Interchangeable parts aren't.

No matter which way you have to march, its always uphill.

If enough data is collected, a board of inquiry can prove ANYTHING.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. (in boot camp)

The one item you need is always in short supply.

The worse the weather, the more you are required to be out in it.

The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of the weapon's operator.

Airstrikes always overshoot the target, artillery always falls short.

When reviewing the radio frequencies that you just wrote down, the most important ones are always illegible.

Those who hesitate under fire usually do not end up KIA or WIA.

The tough part about being an officer is that the troops don't know what they want, but they know for certain what they DON'T want.

To steal information from a person is called plagiarism. To steal information from the enemy is called gathering intelligence.

The weapon that usually jams when you need it the most is the M60.

The perfect officer for the job will transfer in the day after that billet is filled by someone else.

When you have sufficient supplies & ammo, the enemy takes 2 weeks to attack. When you are low on supplies & ammo the enemy decides to attack that night.

The newest and least experienced soldier will usually win the Congressional Medal Of Honor.

A Purple Heart just goes to prove that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Just out of curiosity... have you actually ever served in the military... in the United States or any country for that matter?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Until you know otherwise????? Who the f* murdered 1.5million+ innocent middle-easterns in
recent times, under false and contrived pretences? Which corporation has brought untold and
unjust misery to untold numbers in the last 50+ years and flails its slippery tenticles worldwide
under the guise of protecting freedoms and spreading democracy (how laughable when you
realise how easily Bush stole both elections!). Who unnecessarily dropped 2 atomic bombs
on Japan wiping out 300,000 in an instant. All this, and so much more.
And funnily enough U.S. citizens are now less free than they have ever been.
You swallow the BS and propaganda all you like 31b. You probably made an excellent
soldier (from your bosses point of view). Have you questioned why the poppy production
output of Afghanistan has skyrocketed again since the US occupation?
I know. It's Not your place to question.

Ok Westboro Baptist you need to just relax and calm down. Show me where you know for a FACT that "1.5m+ middle easterners" have been killed.. you just made that up didn't you? You are so wrong, in fact, there has been more military deaths in Iraq AND Afghanistan than local national lives.. not even talking about the 'permanently wounded' numbers.

What kind of crap have you been reading? Start going to the reference section my friend.. otherwise you're life is going to be FULL of rude awakenings. You obviously live in some kind of fanatasy world, where no one needs an Army because it's perfect.. well we need you to come back to reality please?

Ok, so the WMD's wasn't present when we invaded.. but how do we TRULY know that? Show me a wikileaks link that has a DOD memorandum explaining how we went in otherwise.. please help me out here! I hate Bush with a passion.. but yet again, provide proof he stole the elections.. see my point?

You are delusional and depend on hear say to do your thinking for you.. how sad. The atomic bomb was dropped innocently!? I refuse to believe you are this uneducated... Do you even remember Pearl Harbor guy?? Wow you are amazing. You need to go find a country that's better than America to live and troll in.. good luck.

What have i done for my country you ask?
Well I haven't killed innocents for it, nor could I imagine ever doing so!

Yeap.. you truly have NO idea what you're talking about.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Who do you work for by the way & are you responsible for each and every minute detail of that business? We all work for someone even if self employed, we support OUR government. Picking on some innocent kid who has made a decision to lay down his life NOT for his government but for his fellow Americans, in order to protect us from enemies FOREIGN and DOMESTIC, is a pathetic way to stand up for what you believe in. War is not one sided my friend, it's a dirty mess that should be avoided at all costs, but believe me not everyone in the countries we and other militaries are ordered to fight in are "innocents". When and if the SHTF in this country, you'll be clinging to the coat tail of the first man/woman who shows up in camouflage.. trust me.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thanks everybody even the ones who thinks I should go awol and call the army baby killers. Those provided me with about a 15minutes of entertainment. Thanks a ton to the people defending my decision too, you didn't have to but you did and I love ya for it. On my Mil ID i'm ranked E1 so I guess that's what I'm considered when I go in. I was in the future soldier progam for the last few months. I'm quite a bit older than the rest of the people I'm shipping out with, and I would say I'm pretty mature for my age. I'm not just going to waste my time in the military either. I plan on getting a college degree and applying for Officer school when I can, but one step at a time. I live near Fort Bragg and been around all sorts of GI's, so the military isn't something alien to me, I've seen humvee convoys nearly daily for years, and spent a lot of time on base, lot of the people I went to school with went in and many made a good life for themselves and family, a few didn't make it and some lost a few marbles but regular life can do that too. I've been a ATS member for years before I finally made an account. I think I got my eyes pretty well opened to the real world. I don't think oswald shot jfk, is there more to the 9-11 story they don't want us to know... absolutely, bigfoots real, bankers run the world, the bilderburg group aren't talking about there vacations, and the illuminati are real... lady gaga proved that one for me. I think I'm a pretty smart guy and keep a level head, its one of my pros.

To the person that was in the 82nd, HOOAH. Gotta love the airborne. I've seen the 101st and 82nd jump many of times and I can't wait to do it myself.

To the person who was in the Royal Army, thanks alot and thanks for being a true allie to America, I've heard alot of great things about the UK soldiers and hope a meet a few when I deploy.

I feel a lot more confident about what I'm going to go through because of this thread, you guys gave me some good advice that I didn't know before, and I'm going to use it.

The first website I'm going to hit up when I have access to a computer again is this one to let you know how it went. Thanks all of you. Well I got a 5 days left so I'm going to surf around on here till I go.

P.S. Love your pic shell69, dangerous and cute, the way I like it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Now let me guess
Your a woman
A feminist
You have been programmed to blame everything on men so its easier to live with your personal shortcommings.
You are bitter, and angry because alpha males dont find you attractive.
You fail at most things, but that is everybodies fault but yours.
You are always judge, jury, & executioner but never the accused.

Perhaps I am wrong and your a guy but your posting portrays you as the above. You have failed in this case as well as the op is has stones and is going ahead with his decision.

I pity you

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I think you hit the nail on the head Hotel1

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Dang G
true
True and
true

The worse the weather, the more you are required to be out in it.

"If it aint rainin we aint trainin"

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Leaving today guys, Thanks for all the tips and all around good conversations, deny ignorance brother and sisters, talk to you guys around Christmas.
edit on 10-10-2011 by MKultraVideos because: misspell

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

The first time I read this reply I found it amusing, I just went back to it and as a woman it sounds kinda insulting.
"Now let me guess
Your a woman
A feminist
You have been programmed to blame everything on men so its easier to live with your personal shortcommings" I mean c'mon.. do you really have to refer to the poster as a "woman" in order to insult them? Personally I do not think that woman are programmed to blame everything on "men" in order to deal with our "personal shortcomings" Just saying

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join