It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Boom Shakes South Carolina

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i will say it again...

the mysterious 'booms' (Seneca guns) are the result of a very long collapsing wave in the ocean

the air is compressed and discharged very much like a sound from a gun barrel...
traveling at almost supersonic speed a long (say 500-600 ft long breaker) would produce a 'gunshot' or a 'boom' for all those ears which are in the direction of the ocean wave gradual collapse.

Has anyone told you read where seneca guns have occured?? because if you expect anybody to believe there is a huge wave creating a sound lound enough to be heard in the middle of the United States than you have just gone full retard...And nobody should go full retard

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Although I haven't lived in Charleston for 10 years,I from there and other then a small quake every once in a while,It is usually quiet.
They had a major earthquake in 1886.
It's got me worried about my friends and family there.

As with most historical earthquakes, details about sounds and the actual level of ground motion related to the Charleston, SC Earthquake (1886) are somewhat sketchy and hard to authenticate. "Dutton, Clarence E., 1889: "The Charleston Earthquake of August 31, 1886," Ninth Annual Report, 1887-88, U.S. Geological Survey, Washington D.C., p. 203-528" is perhaps the most comprehensive scientific document that compiles seemingly credible accounts from numerous sources. Dutton objectively sums these interviews/observations with the following: "According to the testimony of some, the first intimation of the disturbance was a strange sound or murmur. Others say that with the sound they felt the trembling, and that both increased, at first steadily, but by perceptible stages, and then suddenly or by swift degrees, to the full roar and energy of the climax. Dr. Manigault resides in a very quiet street near the Battery, and but a few hundred yards from the estuary of the Ashley River. He was engaged in a game of chess, and a member of his family was sitting by an open window. The latter, surprised or perhaps alarmed by the prolonged sound, arose, crossed the room, entered the hall, and passed out into the open air before the doctor became aware of anything unusual. The sound appeared to come across the water of Ashley River from the west-southwest. Another observer of intelligence was seated in the park at the Battery, near the statue of Jasper. He suddenly became conscious of a deep murmur, which swelled in volume, and which appeared to come from the open bay, lying southeastward. Very soon there was a sound of agitation in the leaves of the trees overhead, and at the same instant, he thinks, he became aware of a tremor in the ground. Springing to his fee, there suddenly broke upon his ear a rapid swell in the sound, which became a mighty roar, and with the roar came a shock." It is apparent from these observations that, at least for the main shock, people heard the actual low frequency motions of the damaging earthquake waves as they rolled across the region and right down their street.....the "roar' came with the "shock".

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I've been studying these booms four about four months, as I've noticed the report frequency increasing; I've not been studying as to how these are formed (Seneca gun booms) but rather, how and where they are occurring, as well how the USGC only made an obscure reference to them stating they did not know how they happened.

I can't prove it, and possibly may be wrong, but it's my belief that during my research on Seneca Guns, the U.S. Geological Survey DID NOT have this page on "Earthquake Booms, Seneca Guns and other 'Sounds".

It would make sense to put this page up as recent, as many have been making a relation of these sounds (which are not always booms, but sound like lowish frequency wailing) with trumpets. Why Trumpets?

Book of Revealations 8, chapter six in the Bible:

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

by the way, the wiki article has "disappeared" on Seneca guns and for anyone who didn't notice, Wiki is being edited by unknown persons, and as conspiracies gain merit, they are now dubbing them "controversies."

i.e. flouridation

Here's is one of those unexplained "sounds" in the UKRAINE, and it's not a boom sound at all, unless you want to say it's a slow-mo version of a "boom"

ovIyy-j0Ui0

edit on 2-10-2011 by 2PLUS2IS22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 2PLUS2IS22

if it is indeed wave created, the past four months would make sense since there is a big increase in hurricae activity. Jmo

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Could be a transformer blowing. They can be quite noisy.

You think an underwater boom would be recorded by the USGS.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy

Originally posted by St Udio
i will say it again...

the mysterious 'booms' (Seneca guns) are the result of a very long collapsing wave in the ocean

the air is compressed and discharged very much like a sound from a gun barrel...
traveling at almost supersonic speed a long (say 500-600 ft long breaker) would produce a 'gunshot' or a 'boom' for all those ears which are in the direction of the ocean wave gradual collapse.

Has anyone told you read where seneca guns have occured?? because if you expect anybody to believe there is a huge wave creating a sound lound enough to be heard in the middle of the United States than you have just gone full retard...And nobody should go full retard

i was responding to the specific mystery 'booms' on the SC Coast.... low, long waves could be the cause,,,
the 'booms' would be heard at great distances as it would be a focused & directional burst of air,,,

take it to Myth Busters, TV series

the mystery 'booms' in other regions would certainly have other origins, such as air-quakes...
i think it was the folklore/story of the Catskill Mountains where the Rip Van Winkle legend takes place, and the folks said it were angels bowling in heaven, etc

en.wikipedia.org...

so, indeed there are mystery booms/ air-quakes all over the land(s)

not off the deep end just yet my friend
edit on 2-10-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
From the article I posted in the other boom thread which relates to Carolina. There have been reports not related to the Seneca Guns. The USGS has documented booms associated with EQ's in Washington State 2001. It in the article I have listed below.

As with most historical earthquakes, details about sounds and the actual level of ground motion related to the Charleston, SC Earthquake (1886) are somewhat sketchy and hard to authenticate. "Dutton, Clarence E., 1889: "The Charleston Earthquake of August 31, 1886," Ninth Annual Report, 1887-88, U.S. Geological Survey, Washington D.C., p. 203-528" is perhaps the most comprehensive scientific document that compiles seemingly credible accounts from numerous sources. Dutton objectively sums these interviews/observations with the following:

"According to the testimony of some, the first intimation of the disturbance was a strange sound or murmur. Others say that with the sound they felt the trembling, and that both increased, at first steadily, but by perceptible stages, and then suddenly or by swift degrees, to the full roar and energy of the climax. Dr. Manigault resides in a very quiet street near the Battery, and but a few hundred yards from the estuary of the Ashley River.

For several weeks after the Charleston Earthquake (8/31/1886) there were many aftershocks that were reportedly accompanied by "loud detonations". But there was little mention of sounds occurring before an event. The earth was in a fairly continuous state of agitation and it would be difficult to relate a specific sound to a specific earthquake
USGS

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

HEY!
The same thing happen here in Tennessee. I called the city to see if they were blasting on a road and the lady said no, but she felt it there too. I also called Arnold Air Force base and they said it was not them but he felt what he thought to be a sonic boom. I then called a Air Force base in Marietta, GA. who also uses this air space and they said they had nothing in the air.
This boom made my curtains blow up and shook my house! (not to mention I jumped right out of my skin)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Posted in the NJ post of noise in the air, it is relevant here.

Here is my thoughts about what you are hearing,

It is possible that what you are hearing is Positive Lightning. I have had recent experiences with this near my home. It is quite rare and very loud and scary when it strikes close by.

My subdivision had strikes at 4am that woke me like a bomb hit my house. It happened 4 times that morning and scared both my wife and I so much that we could not go back to sleep. It sounds like rolling rumbles for about 30-45 seconds after the strike too.

Wiki

positive lightning strikes typically carry six to ten times the charge and voltage difference of a negative bolt and last around ten times longer.

Positive lightning is a rare form of lightning which carries a positive charge to the ground, rather than the negative charge which is typically associated with lightning. This type of lightning can strike across very long distances, and with formidable power, making it extremely dangerous. It is often much more powerful than regular lightning, striking with as much as one billion volts of power. As you might imagine, positive lightning is not something you want to tangle with.

In the case of positive lightning, the charge comes from the positively charged top of a storm cloud, and it connects with a negatively charged streamer. Positive lightning can travel across ten miles (16 kilometers) to meet a negatively charged streamer, releasing a burst of positively charged energy to the Earth. Positive lightning is often associated with human activities, especially rocket launches and the testing of nuclear devices.

Because positive lightning can travel across great distances, it is not as predictable as other forms of lightning, and this makes it more dangerous. Positive lightning can also travel from cloud to cloud, also across great distances, and it may sometimes make a connection with the ground after traveling from cloud to cloud. The result can be a so-called “bolt from the blue,” a lightning bolt which strikes in seemingly fair weather.

Recent weather forecasters have stated that the number of Positive lightning strikes have increased it the last 6 months.

Hope this helps you to find the cause.

Sirric

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We just had this same sort of very loud boom in the near the city of Aiken tonight at around 8pm. I have never heard anything so loud in my life. It lasted for maybe 3 to 4 sec. It did shake my house and I was able to feel in the floor of my house. A neighbor approximately 1.5 miles away said it was even stronger at his home. Not sure what it was , but it freaked me out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join