It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud Boom Shakes South Carolina

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Source

A loud boom shook the coastal Lowcountry Wednesday morning, felt from Mount Pleasant to West Ashley. And once again, no one could say what it caused it.

Seismographs at the College of Charleston didn't pick up any earthquake activity. The Charleston Air Force Base didn't report any military aircraft creating sonic booms.

No commercial vessels responded to a U.S. Coast Guard message asking for reports if it had been felt offshore.

The reverberation most likely came from the "Seneca Guns," a so-far-unexplained phenomenon felt along coasts around the world.

Some experts speculate that the booms are caused by gases released from the sea floor, or undersea landslides along the Continental Shelf, or the echoed sound of distant thunder, or lightning-like electrical discharges, or even meteors crashing into the atmosphere at angles.

The latest blast hit just before 10 a.m.

"It was a pretty good shake, a pretty loud boom," said Mark Reamer, who felt it in the Financial Management

What the hell is going on? This is weird that we are getting so many of these 'loud boom' reports from around the US.

To begin with I was thinking it could possibly be planes hitting supersonic speed but in all the places that have recently heard this noise? Sounds implausible to me anyway.

Another weird noise to add to the rest that people have been hearing lately. Things are getting crazy...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Where did you get that article from?

Nevermind, I didn't see the source link.
edit on 30-9-2011 by csuldm because: I'm blind

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It can be a few things
1.New Madrid
2.Crazy people with a small explosives
3.Earthquake
4. Elites building bunkers.
Take your pick.

link   
Elites flying around in super planes perhaps?

Military Aircraft? ET's?

Lots to think about, could be natural, but I doubt it

-GM

link   
reply to post by predator0187

I'm just a little further south from Charleston and I didn't hear it,damn,I was outside too..

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Like I said in the thread a few days ago, people who live there should setup some kind of recording devices to enable triangulation. I'm surprised nobody has bothered yet.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Although I haven't lived in Charleston for 10 years,I from there and other then a small quake every once in a while,It is usually quiet.
They had a major earthquake in 1886.
It's got me worried about my friends and family there.

As with most historical earthquakes, details about sounds and the actual level of ground motion related to the Charleston, SC Earthquake (1886) are somewhat sketchy and hard to authenticate. "Dutton, Clarence E., 1889: "The Charleston Earthquake of August 31, 1886," Ninth Annual Report, 1887-88, U.S. Geological Survey, Washington D.C., p. 203-528" is perhaps the most comprehensive scientific document that compiles seemingly credible accounts from numerous sources. Dutton objectively sums these interviews/observations with the following: "According to the testimony of some, the first intimation of the disturbance was a strange sound or murmur. Others say that with the sound they felt the trembling, and that both increased, at first steadily, but by perceptible stages, and then suddenly or by swift degrees, to the full roar and energy of the climax. Dr. Manigault resides in a very quiet street near the Battery, and but a few hundred yards from the estuary of the Ashley River. He was engaged in a game of chess, and a member of his family was sitting by an open window. The latter, surprised or perhaps alarmed by the prolonged sound, arose, crossed the room, entered the hall, and passed out into the open air before the doctor became aware of anything unusual. The sound appeared to come across the water of Ashley River from the west-southwest. Another observer of intelligence was seated in the park at the Battery, near the statue of Jasper. He suddenly became conscious of a deep murmur, which swelled in volume, and which appeared to come from the open bay, lying southeastward. Very soon there was a sound of agitation in the leaves of the trees overhead, and at the same instant, he thinks, he became aware of a tremor in the ground. Springing to his fee, there suddenly broke upon his ear a rapid swell in the sound, which became a mighty roar, and with the roar came a shock." It is apparent from these observations that, at least for the main shock, people heard the actual low frequency motions of the damaging earthquake waves as they rolled across the region and right down their street.....the "roar' came with the "shock".

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I posted a thread earlier with first hand testimonys about the seneca guns being heard just prior to the new Madrid quake of 1811 and where the term came from...www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thanks for the update OP, we've had 3 quakes where I'm at in California in the past day so I'm getting a lil nervous where I'm at but I'd be downright scared to be on the New Madrid right now.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Booms are probably aka sonic booms as anything that breaks the sound barrier and this would include cannons, guns and thunder. From the wiki page of Seneca Guns, and the OP above, the explanation that it could be trapped gas under water doesn't fly with me. Bubbles can't rise to the surface any faster just because it's a lot of gas and my guess is that water absorbs so much energy that even if the gas could make a loud CLAP sound, the water would silence it immediately. That page said that anyone who's heard cannon fire say that it sounds just like cannons, so I'd look more into that.

We also don't know what 's underground anywhere, at least us civilians.

And didn't Iran threaten to come this way with some ships? Lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Perhaps this may help.
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

Neas are very active around now according to this site I heard booms in the sky near midnight in Australia and one flash in the sky, later I got a call froma friend who related his seeing a big bright green meteor streak across the gold coast (australia) sky at approx 0500hrs Aust time on Friday gone.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Like I said in the thread a few days ago, people who live there should setup some kind of recording devices to enable triangulation. I'm surprised nobody has bothered yet.

I'm surprised they don't have that already. Many major cities have them to triangulate gunshots.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I have a lot of family in that area, I will have to give them a ring and see if anyone heard anything. I am moving back soon and spend a lot of time there, I'll keep my ears open next time I'm in town.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

there was also a fireball in the sky!

they're reporting it from Mount Pleasant to West Ashley.

what caused it?

edit on 30-9-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I don't think a big tree on John's Island would cause that.
There is an air force base there ,and it's possible there was a sonic boom,but,who knows.
One of the biggest trees there is Angel Oak,which is also one of the oldest.

Towering over 65 feet high, the Angel Oak has shaded John's Island, South Carolina, for over 1400 years, and would have sprouted 1000 years before Columbus' arrival in the New World. Recorded history traces the ownership of the live oak and surrounding land, back to the year 1717 when Abraham Waight received it as part of a small land grant. The tree stayed in the Waight family for four generations, and was part of a Marriage Settlement to Justus Angel and Martha Waight Tucker Angel. In modern times, the Angel Oak has become the focal point of a public park. Today the live oak has a diameter of spread reaching 160 feet, a circumference of nearly 25 feet, and covers 17,100 square feet of ground. www.historictrees.org

www.angeloaktree.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

If a meteor was involved would it not also produce a flash? I saw one once and the flash made it look like daytime for a second, not something that you could miss, at night anyway.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

*clip* We have a huge fault here that is completely capable of an earthquake that is independent of the new Madrid fault, I doubt it was a base underground too. Life in a seismic region like this is a little creepy considering we could have a large earthquake at any moment and our dorms are old and sucky.

My college is in the immediate charleston area and I was outside at the time and didn't hear this particular event. I've heard these several times before, the most recent was mid July or early august, it was accompanied by a small ~2.5Mag reading centered less than 5 miles from where I live. That was excitingly startling, I kinda regret missing this past one!
edit on 1-10-2011 by Mapkar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by predator0187

I'm just a little further south from Charleston and I didn't hear it,damn,I was outside too..

And now you are a helpful witness.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

maybe next time!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Probably the sound of the economy collapsing ..

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
i will say it again...

the mysterious 'booms' (Seneca guns) are the result of a very long collapsing wave in the ocean

the air is compressed and discharged very much like a sound from a gun barrel...
traveling at almost supersonic speed a long (say 500-600 ft long breaker) would produce a 'gunshot' or a 'boom' for all those ears which are in the direction of the ocean wave gradual collapse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join