It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Colbert Explains Political Corruption

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
[color=limegreen]Here's the video

I was just watching the Colbert Report, and he had a guy named Trevor Potter on his show as a guest. I'm sure you guys already know about the Colbert Super PAC. If not, it's basically a pac made by Steven Colbert that's taking advantage of the Supreme Court ruling that money equals speech, and mocks politics in this country.

Well he has Trevor Potter come and and give him a 501c4, this one called "Anonymous Shell Corporation". Corporations can give to a c4 anonymously, nobody knows who is donating, and this money can be used for politics. Potter explains how lawyers often form Delaware corporations which are called shell corporations that just sit there until they're needed.

Potter tells him that has to turn his "Anomymous Shell Corporation" into a corporation by having a board of directors meeting, but just Steven by himself is enough for the board of directors. He elects himself as President, Secretary, and Treasurer, and authorizes his corporation to file the papers with the IRS in May 2013. So he can get money for his c4, use it for political purposes, and nobody knows anything about it until 6 months after the election, and even then nobody will know who his donors are.

Without the c4, he's transparent and people know who his donors are, but with it he's completely shielded and nobody knows who gave him the money. He can get individual corporate donations of unlimited amounts, and take out political ads. Not only that, but he can take that money, and donate it to his SuperPac. So even though SuperPac's are transparent, the c4 is secret, so he can take secret donations from the c4 and give it to the supposedly transparent SuperPac. When asked what the difference between that and money laundering is, Trevor Potter says "It's hard to say".

In the next [color= teal]segment, he talks about how Karl Rove, Senior Advisor and Deputy Chief of Staff to former President George W. Bush, has a Pac, and 90% of it's money in 2011 was donated by 3 billionaires. So he plays the "Donating Game" on his show where 3 billionaires come on anonymously to mock the idea that people can donate tons of money and we don't know who they are.

He takes it a step further in the [color=limegreen]final part of the show where he interviews Mark Cuban. One of the things he says is that politicians ask him for money "all the time". He gets "phonecalls, e-mails, letters, FedEx, UPS, everything."

It seems to me that Jon Stewart and Colbert, even though they are on comedy shows, are more legitimate than any mainstream media station, and actually inform people about what's going on in the country. The media black-out of Ron Paul, the MSM's bias, and political corruption are some of the things they've covered on their shows. You know things are screwed up in this country when people trust comedy shows more than actual news outlets to give them the information.
edit on 30-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Awesome

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It seems to me that Jon Stewart and Colbert, even though they are on comedy shows, are more legitimate than any mainstream media station, and actually inform people about what's going on in the country. The media black-out of Ron Paul, the MSM's bias, and political corruption are some of the things they've covered on their shows. You know things are screwed up in this country when people trust comedy shows more than actual news outlets to give them the information.

I give you 2 thums up on that post Tupac!
Jon Stewart and Colbert, in my eyes are Great American Heroes in the truest sense. They tell it as they see it and they don’t pull any punches. Yes, there delivery of their massage is different than the main stream media, but that’s what this country needs right now. Because if we lose our ability to laugh at our problems as a nation we lose are humanity on a very basic level. It also gives us the ability to shed new light from a different angle on our problems and maybe find alternative ways to fix them.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

What did cuban say about the requests for money?

Stern fines him because he talks to Stephen colbert.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Sorry Tupac...I hit the quote button for my last post to give you credit on what you said on your post,but it didn't work right for some reason....Again I apologize.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I give you 2 thums up on that post Tupac! Jon Stewart and Colbert, in my eyes are Great American Heroes in the truest sense. They tell it as they see it and they don’t pull any punches. Yes, there delivery of their massage is different than the main stream media, but that’s what this country needs right now.
Yeah and the funny thing is that Jon Stewart viewers have been found to be more informed than MSM viewers. How is that? People know more about this country and politics from a 23 minute show (commercials excluded) than news stations that run practically all day?

Daily Show/Colbert Viewers Most Informed – Fox, Not So Much
'Daily Show' viewers ace political quiz

Some think it's because people who watch their shows already know about the events, because otherwise they wouldn't understand many of the jokes, and I think that's true.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Colbert and Stewart do bring to the table news that is not covered by the MSM.

BUT, the trick is that they are on a comedy channel so that people will not take them as serious. And then when they talk about the news later to their co workers it is in a comedic format.

"Morning, Bob."
"Morning, Bill."

"Cactch Colbert last night?"
"How was it?"

"Colbert is just as smart as he is FUNNY. He showed those political swines (Rove, Bush, Obama........... any politician) a thing or two. He talked about shell corporations in Delaware and how they are nothing, but a legal money laundering service. He even went as far as too point out that you could use the shell corporations to create an anonymous funds collection to fuel your political campaign. Let me tell you it was a HOOT. I would have loved to see the look on Obomber's face, he was probably #ting himself, har har har!"

"That sounds hilarious... glad I TIVO'd it."

You see where we went wrong there?(Other than the TIVO ha) This is actually serious and another strike against our gov't, yet we give it levity. Let's not forget the celebrity "shout out" he gives to some "nobody" NBA coach (I was thinking they would have interviewed Scott Skiles). And the coach talks light about "yea they ask for my money in every form possible."

Well anyway, I'm not here to bash Colbert and Stewart. Funny shows and they do bring up valid points. Its just to bad we don't have more people who take this serious. One day we will see the irony in it all.

and REMEMBER kids: Everything... e v e r y t h i n g on your, mine, his or her television is a program.

Download wisely.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I seriously believe that a Stewart/Colbert presidential ticket would be unstoppable. Too bad neither one of them would be willing to take the huge paycut- and the diminishment of respect that comes along with becoming a politician.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

What is sad is that the The daily Show and Colbert report are both political satire programs. That type of programming hits home on two levels. The first is that through the need for commentators and narrow-cast programming to target a specific audience, news programs have become a satire in their own right and the average person cannot discern between the two. The second, the sad state of affairs when Americans rely on satire for their information and regard it as being something more than it is.

Both shows are brilliant in what they are designed to do and with the current state of affairs they have become a more powerful entity in American political culture; however, it is still satire and much of the content is over exaggerated and taken out of context.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Stewart and Colbert have far more credibility than most all mainstream media sources (which tend to show a great deal of obvious bias in their Portrayals of the Truth), despite their utilizing humor as a vehicle, for what actually goes on in the country. I use the word despite because many of the people out there have no idea what is sarcasm and what isn't, and sad to say, but so much of it simply goes over their heads, or in one ear and out the other.. And as far as the content of the post, regarding the superpacs, the shell corporations, and the hidden monies and donation sources (gosh, do you think they might want something in return?) is simply another case of what happens when you allow crooks to make the laws. And by crooks, I mean our elected officials, in the pockets of the corporations. Sure, it's perfectly legal! Because the new laws made it that way! Why, if you enacted a law to make rape legal, it would be legal! Murder, bombings, all legal, if you pass laws saying so! And when bills are SO big that no one actually reads them fully, many strange laws put in as amendments find their way into our NWO system. As somewhat of a democracy, all voters are also responsible for the situation. We keep sending the crooks back, we get crooked laws.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cypruswolf

What is sad is that the The daily Show and Colbert report are both political satire programs. That type of programming hits home on two levels. The first is that through the need for commentators and narrow-cast programming to target a specific audience, news programs have become a satire in their own right and the average person cannot discern between the two. The second, the sad state of affairs when Americans rely on satire for their information and regard it as being something more than it is.

Both shows are brilliant in what they are designed to do and with the current state of affairs they have become a more powerful entity in American political culture; however, it is still satire and much of the content is over exaggerated and taken out of context.

I agree %100. Keep in mind what comedy central is. A tv network for the dumb masses to dumb them down even more then they all ready are(including my self). All tv PROGRAMS (they are PROGRAMING your mind) is meant to manipulate your thoughts aka brain wash. The elite (lack of better terms) control the tv %100, the most powerful weapon on earth. Look at the symbolism. The new net work logo, a all seeing eye, witch can all so be betrayed as Saturn(google Saturn worship) under that it says comedy then central written backwards witch is a as above so below reference. These shows are very bias, and leave out VITAL details. I was watching Colbert the other day they showed a clip of people calling him the anti Christ. What they did not show was Obama's speech, witch he called him self God. (not that i think hes the anti Christ but they had every reason to call him the anti Christ) As the history channle put it before Obama was in office the anti Christ would be some one people loved at first and then hated.

I think you are supposed to know about some conspiracy's. For example 9/11. Its right their in front of your face, you dont even have to look at the conspiracy aspects just what the government says. Like one of the terrorist pass ports flying out of the burning plane and landing on the streets of new york witch was found by a cop. The story's are so far fetched that you have no choice but to think its a inside job. Just as the Kennedy assassination. The bullet suposiedly came from behind him but his head flew back not forward. The Kennedy assassination was meant to show politicians not to # with the new world order. 9/11 was ment to tell the people dont # with the new world order.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
What is interesting is that as much as people hate Rush Limbaugh ranks pretty high.
(aka Lawerence Limburger
I was a kid when I made this connection. The cartoon was made when the man was FAT.)

And NPR are still ranked pretty high up on that, too.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
they must be 2 giant thorns on the side. because they're jewish they're basically untouchable.

they can't even criticise them publicly or attack them behind closed doors, because they'll be ripped apart as anti-semites and their actions broadcast to millions unrestrained.

it's a rock and hard place when a jew turns on the establishment.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
As far as I know comedy central is own by Viacom so thats MSM.

Honestly, I really do like the daily show and the report but I fear, in this period of uncertainty, that the bankers and politicians are planning something. Be careful for what you wish.. you or we might regret it.

The game is played like a chess match. In the head of your opponent, 5 or 6 turns ahead.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Stephen Colbert is NOT Jewish, he is Catholic, born into a devout Catholic family, the youngest of 11 children.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
I seriously believe that a Stewart/Colbert presidential ticket would be unstoppable. Too bad neither one of them would be willing to take the huge paycut- and the diminishment of respect that comes along with becoming a politician.

this is a joke, right?

unstoppable?

these guys would be blown up ala hariri, hell, i'd take a shot at them!

lolololol!

they are comedians, therefore their whole paycheck revolves around comedy and they use a skewed view.

can't be funny and balanced at the same time.

we have enough jokers in power already.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I know this is a dead thread basically, but I saw some things and still wanted to comment on.

For reference, I am not party-affiliated,but I tend to hate conservatives more than liberals. Additionally, I absolutely love both Colbert and Stewart. Anyway...

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Yeah and the funny thing is that Jon Stewart viewers have been found to be more informed than MSM viewers.

There is a very, very key thing you didn't point out with the chart you added, Mikemck1976. That poll was from Sept. 28, 2004 (well, more specifically, the article that had the poll). Not to be rude, but quoting a 7 year old poll isn't too convincing of your point of view.

In fact, in a more recent poll, many other sources topped The Daily Show (Fox News itself still didn't, though). For example, in the poll, Hannity got 31%, O'Reilly @ 29% and The Daily Show @ 22%. I used to have the chart someplace, but I can't find it now. Chris Wallace talked about it. (Note: I give no credence to the site that I linked to itself. It is just one site of many that has the #'s on it.) And in fact, when it came out, Jon Stewart admitted it as well on the show. In the situation, he was blasting others on how misinformed their audiences were, then he showed the list that had The Daily Show lower than others. Stewart jokingly got pissed off, saying to the viewers (paraphrased) "Thanks a lot guys! Way to make me look like an ass."

I do have to mention that in between those two polls (2004 and 2011), there is a 2007 poll showing strong knowledge for Daily Show over other source, at The Pew Center.

Having said all that, some of the "informed viewer" polls are ridiculous. In at least one example, the test is only 4 questions long, and are about who is in office now ("who is the speaker of the house?" Etc. Etc).

The point is that, it is very difficult to make a claim that The Daily Show and Colbert Report are so high up when there are significant numbers of examples where it's ambiguous at best.

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

Keep in mind that I like the guys...

This is just crazy. The biggest problem is that they don't offer solutions. Sure, they (and their staffs) can tear apart other people, but they don't say what they would do different. Their role, just like all political commentators is to do two things: Tell you what is wrong in the world and tell you who is to blame for it.

A couple things that fall completely into the "opinion" category for me. No offense to those quoted below:

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
[

All tv PROGRAMS (they are PROGRAMING your mind) is meant to manipulate your thoughts aka brain wash. The elite (lack of better terms) control the tv %100, the most powerful weapon on earth. Look at the symbolism.

Even for some of the things I see here, that part about the networks being so manipulative just made me chuckle for being over the top.

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
[

I was watching Colbert the other day they showed a clip of people calling him the anti Christ. What they did not show was Obama's speech, witch he called him self God.

This stll annoys me when I see it. Now,I am guessing that you are referring to the Sept. 11 reading of Psalm 46. In that case, this is the biggest leap of logic since... well, fill in your own answer here. It's the epitome of jumping at shadows and overanalyzing every word because there MUST be some hidden meaning in everything.

Originally posted by jaxnmarko
reply to post by randomname

Stephen Colbert is NOT Jewish, he is Catholic, born into a devout Catholic family, the youngest of 11 children.

Ouch. You seemed to have taken that (Colbert was Jewish) a bit too personally, I think. Might just be the use of all caps for "not." But, you are right in that randomnames comment was a bit incendiary, to say the least.

Originally posted by fooks

they are comedians, therefore their whole paycheck revolves around comedy and they use a skewed view.

I would consider them satirists, not comedians. Small difference I know, but to me it's a significant difference.

I've reached the end of my char cou

new topics

top topics

join