It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Foods do you stock up on now

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

check out the fire piston
i bought 5 of them

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I have plastic coffee cans filled with beans, rice, pasta, dried corn (and coffee of course)

I dehydrate a lot of carrots, celery, peppers, onions,pineapple, kiwi fruit, blackberries and blackberry leaves for tea, apples, jerky, salt pork, potatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, cucumber, and just about anything else that I can get my hands on.

I have stocks of bulk bullion, sugar, flour, brown sugar, molasses, several cases of water, and 5 gallon containers (water cooler ones).

Also, when I cook, I put leftovers in vacu-seal bags and freeze them. Spaghetti, lasagna, anything that is a really good stock.

I have also made jams and jellies and syrups. Flavorings for candies work great for a lot of things.

Propane, kerosene, lamp oil, candle making supplies, candles, matches, lighters.

I'm sure there is a lot I'm forgetting but you get the idea........

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Most things canned, peanutbutter, honey, BISQUICK pancake mix in the yellow bottles, just add water... OH, WATER, dehydrated fruits, alot of pasta and rice, spaghetti sauce, MATZA bread and guns and ammo and ways to fish, and know where your local water sources are for long term survival...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I cache the foods my family actually eat such as: Tuna, sardines, canned hams, canned fruits, green beans, canned corn, potatoes, corned beef, spam, beef stew, spaghettios, ravioli, etc. I see no point in stocking up on things like sauerkraut or beenie weenies if nobody likes them. I also purchase bulk amounts of beans and rice to place in sealed storage containers. Don't forget to date them and rotate them regularly.

Tip: I dip all the cans in paraffin wax also to prevent them from rusting due to moisture.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

online I creep websites and alot of them you can make multiple prints of. lol plus I have a coupon ring and people often throw their coupons in the free coupon bin at my work I look through that too.

link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

You just made me really hungry ! I gotta go shopping soon.

link   
MRE's you know if the # blows they will still be feeding the military while they exterminate the rest of us. so i say mre's are a safe bet, they last for 10+ years as well, and aren't too bad.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
And the only reason I have enough space for this is because we converted my fiance' man cave (i owe him ) into the continuity cave. He's spent alot of the money i spent saving on making sure that it will work. temp, housing, permits to add on a half a room to it to build a 6ft thick shelter lol.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

I dont want this to be an ad, so please remove it if it is. I came across a great magazine this past weekend at the Mother Earth News Fair that addresses all of this. Its called Self Reliance Illustrated, kinda new and i dont have a link but it had all of this stuff in one place.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
All all of these are really great starts also a great way to jumpstart your survival is to check out your local red cross site they offer food and medical supplies at what i believe is a reasonable price for what you get. All in the name of survival because at the rate we are going.........also banding together with your community im talkin your neighborhood is a great way to meet your neighbors and to protect eachother in the event.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Haven

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Jack daniels, Soco, Jose cuervo.. Who needs food when you can drink!

Best part it does not go bad, and it only gets better with age..

No need to thank me.

Posts like these are really getting annoying. seems like ATS is full of people just posting stupid ''in-their-opinion-funny'' posts.

Except that, perhaps accidentally, he has a very good idea. Liquor is a great bartering tool. When the dollar doesn't work, a fifth of Jack Daniels might. You can't just make it locally, It will be very valuable. Part of any preppers items ought to be bartering items.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I changed everything mid stream. Dumped the MREs (ate em) and the 3600 cal bars (not so good)

Phase one full Bug out: Mt house and alpineair freeze dried pouches. I found you can actually carry huge amounts of it in shoulder strap duffel bags. The light weight allows loading at a very rapid rate.

Phase two Bug in: traditional canned goods stocked only heavy enough so I can consume before the exp dates.

Phase three Long term: I met up with the Mormon cannery and replaced all my loose pack goods with canned and pouched. Exp is 2041 On that stuff. then beefed it up across the board with 2036 mt house cans. In 2018 I will begin consuming those, and they should be gone right about the time I am. Unless I get hit by a bus. then my neices and nephews struck gold.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
1. Raw rolled oats in the 50# bag from the feed store. ($14 for 50 pounds)
2. Solid white tuna. ($20 for 20 cans every payday on sale somewhere)

When the oats go bad in 2 years, $120 to refresh the stock. Old stuff is mulched and roto-tilled into the heirloom seeded garden where the birds go nuts and also keep the bugs out. I always have many birds returning to be fresh fowl dinner when the tuna goes short.

3. Heirloom seeded garden crops are canned for everything else.
edit on 29-9-2011 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote
reply to post by cry93

check out the fire piston
i bought 5 of them

can we get a link?

Have been looking at a few different ones. I have one but they could go around to the family.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

www.wildersol.com...

whaaaaaa laaaaaaaaaa I have bought the surviour man one we used it for our smoker to test it LOL it freaking works. i was so happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

shop.lesstroud.ca...

thats mine

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
raisins, raisins, raisins... if there was a problem 4 an extended period of time, scurvy could become a problem. good luck.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
i basically store the canned/packaged/dried foods that i would normally eat... i have perhps 6 months supply of the stuff normally consumed...so my normal eating would be preserved...

a lot of my veggies, tomatos & ragu's are good till late 2012...
the dry goods (beans, rice, etc) are longer lasting if packed correctly

the spagetti 'Os & vege-Ravioli are dated in 2012 also

my cans of coffee product (for trade)
my cartons of cigaretts (for trade)
mybottles of liquor & wine (for trade)
have no limited shelf-life in my world, because those that crave the stuff will smoke & drink anything !

that's not a complete list, but it should give you an idea of one way to operate your stash
edit on 29-9-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I was raised to be a prepper
One of the best places to get #10 cans of food, (dehydrated), is providentliving.org. This is an LDS website, but you do not need to have any affiliation with the Mormon church to access/ buy #10 cans of food. Another resource is the church cannery, where one can can food/buy cases of food. There is usually one in every larger city. A cool feature of Provident Living is that it has calculations for how much an individual or family will need for a year supply of food

I have approx 1000 gallons of water in barrels, (we live in the desert so we will need a lot if the water is cut off)
10 #10 cans of heirloom organic seeds of every kind
50 boxes (cases=6 #10 cans) each of wheat (hard red and white), sugar, rolled oats,beans rice etc

Still working on adding to it each week.

Just a note to those who say that preppers are crazy/fearmongers:

My husband was laid off from a job for 6 months. Our cash flow was basically cut 90%. Guess how we survived? You got it- our emergency food supply. I literally could not afford to buy groceries for at least 5 months. THANK GOODNESS we had an emergency supply!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I found the link to the magazine. www.selfrelianceillustrated.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join