It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient lost city found....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 23432

Strange. The lost 'city' referenced in the OP is supposed to be on the european side of the straits and ALSO underneath this hill. Sounds like reporters mixed up their facts on this dig with others that are going on in the area because that is the same general area where they were supposed to have found the venus figurine and the property seal(which is supposed to be a completely seperate dig to the one in the OP going by the information I've found).

Tell me....is this Erenkoy the same as or part of another area called Ezine? That is an area name that is referenced in some of the other articles I've come across.

Oh, sweet jebus! I'm so confused now.

edit on 9/29/2011 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Ubaid culture was prospering at that time, so it's possible they did spread in Antioch region.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
from the article

” The reason for the settlement pattern in high places has been questioned, he said. “This discovery gives us important clues that people settled deliberately because of the rise and fall of the sea,” he added.

maybe the tides were a lot stronger back then.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Simian
reply to post by 23432

Strange. The lost 'city' referenced in the OP is supposed to be on the european side of the straits and ALSO underneath this hill. Sounds like reporters mixed up their facts on this dig with others that are going on in the area because that is the same general area where they were supposed to have found the venus figurine and the property seal(which is supposed to be a completely seperate dig to the one in the OP going by the information I've found).

Tell me....is this Erenkoy the same as or part of another area called Ezine? That is an area name that is referenced in some of the other articles I've come across.

Oh, sweet jebus! I'm so confused now.

edit on 9/29/2011 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

Go to google maps and search for ( Ezine,Canakkale ) / ( Intepe,Canakkale) / ( Bozkoy,Canakkale) .

Hopefully you can see the highway E87 .

Ezine and Intepe ( Erenkoy ) are both on Asian side of Western Turkey and by following the highway from Ezine to up north one can reach Intepe ( Erenkoy ) .

The original article states that they have found few things in Bozkoy , which also is Asian side of Turkey .

Ezine - Bozkoy - Intepe ( Erenkoy ) are all on Asian side of western Turkey and the area is renown for treasures under ground , literally .
In fact I knew a lad who have found an antic gold chain purportedly belonging to a Lidian Princess .

My bet is that this is a Lydian settlement of some sort , perhaps an outpost to look for the incoming Athenean ships .

Man , I have spent 25 years in Anatolia and it's beggars belief how many different civilisations sprung up and got lost in time on that land .

Even today , the locals are still using metal detectors to discover artefacts belonging to Lydians .

edit on 29-9-2011 by 23432 because: ad

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by piotrburz
Ubaid culture was prospering at that time, so it's possible they did spread in Antioch region.

You've lost me here .

Ubaids were about approx. 2000 km to the east of Lydians .
To spread towards western Asia Minor would require them to literally fight against a lot of other city based civilisations of Anatolia .

To my knowledge , there is no record of such battles but maybe I am mistaken .

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Disappointingly slim on information slayer, what's the go?

How long does carbon dating take, for them to decide how old it is? When did this happen? Isn't carbon dating imprecise? It's a snippet of info from a basic news source.

I have come to expect a level of in-depth information (and education) from your posts which is sorely lacking on this one...
sorry.
I am an idiot! I forgot my most important rule....never expect anything and you'll never be disappointed....wont happen again
and...

How has this so many stars and flags?
Groupies much?!?!

end rant...sorry
XX
A

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Haha, people getting stars for one liners like "hey nice find" and stuff. ROFL.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Great find buddy, I wonder how many of these will we have to find before they connect the dots lol s&f

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Really interesting find . It want surprise me one day that we as a species finds that one artifact or ruin that truly is the smoking gun that explains it all. The sands of time shift, and we learn alittle more each day. IMHO I feel we have been here for millenia. As advanced as we are now if not more so. Hope to hear more about this site.

edit on 29-9-2011 by openyourmind1262 because: Crappy spelling

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Haha, people getting stars for one liners like "hey nice find" and stuff. ROFL.

I just gave you a star because you seemed like you needed it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

it is possible there is evidence in the area that leads them to believe there is a lot more there to be found. hopefully more light will be shed on the subject soon. i love reading about these found ancient wonders.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Definitely an interesting find. I hope more details are explained later.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Awsome avatar SLAYER!! Deus Ex was one of the best games i've played in a long time. LoL sorry a little off topic.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm more interested in what the found that was unexpected. You'd expect, unearthing an ancient settlement, artifacts from that time period, maybe some bones, signs of knowledge of astronomy, etc. So what could this find be?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoSphere
I'm more interested in what the found that was unexpected. You'd expect, unearthing an ancient settlement, artifacts from that time period, maybe some bones, signs of knowledge of astronomy, etc. So what could this find be?

From the original linked article:

“We have found a prehistoric settlement dating back to 5,000 B.C. But only 5 percent of the settlement exists,” said Aslan. The archaeology team examined the coast from the entrance of the Dardanelles to Çanakkale city center, he said. “The coastal excavations had been finished and we unearthed something unexpected around Bozköy.”

Not sure whether the greater issue is a quote taken out of context, or an article that could have been written just a bit more clearly. What it seems to me to be saying, is that after completing a series of coastal excavations, the group found what is left of a 7,000 year-old settlement, an unexpected find because of its comparatively greater age.
As others have said previously, the remark about only 5% of the settlement existing appears to say just that, that only 5% of it remains intact today.

Yes, the article is short on details, but is still a fascinating piece of a greater puzzle: whether our civilization is the pinnacle of a linear series of improvements in that civilization, or whether ours is but one more civilization among other previous, vanished ones.
edit on 9/29/11 by BuzzCory because: Fixed error in link

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Nice find Slayer. Starred and flagged.

I have been trying to find some photos of what has been found of the settlement, and so far only found one photo, which can be found in the following link.

www.todayszaman.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 23432

Yeah, I found the general area on Google Earth(the program not the online map service) but with the details muddled up between the articles I'd read I was hard pressed to tell the specific locations they were talking about. And it doesn't help that the places are sometimes labeled with dissimilar names on GE than what it's actually called by the locals or that it's the correct name but there are three or four different areas that use the nomenclature. I've come across the same problem trying to find sites in such places as India.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hmm.. 5000bc.. and the accepted timeline of history they shove down our throats is that civilization began around 3000bc. I love finds that B-Slap orthodox science and make it spell its name. I have been working on research for a few years, in which the overall theory is that civilization is WAY older than what we believe and may or may not have its origins on earth, or at least this dimension. I wonder how advanced this city they found was?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is from the same time of Vinca / Tordos civilization. There was one very well connected civilization from Anatolia (Asia Minor) all the way through Macedonia, along the Danube river, along the Black Sea coast (which level raised eventually and sunk many settlements), through Halstatt civilization and further to the West.

Proto alphabet existed at that time, not just signs of property or workshop.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Vinča culture is a Neolithic archaeological culture in Southeastern Europe, dated to the period 5500–4500 BCE.[1] Named for its type site, Vinča-Belo Brdo, a large tell settlement discovered by Serbian archaeologist Miloje Vasić in 1908, it represents the material remains of a prehistoric society mainly distinguished by its settlement pattern and ritual behaviour. Farming technology first introduced to the region during the First Temperate Neolithic was developed further by the Vinča culture, fuelling a population boom and producing some of the largest settlements in prehistoric Europe. These settlements maintained a high degree of cultural uniformity through the long-distance exchange of ritual items, but were probably not politically unified. Various styles of zoomorphic and anthropomorphic figurines are hallmarks of the culture, as are the Vinča symbols, which some conjecture to be an early form of proto-writing. Though not conventionally considered part of the Chalcolithic or "Copper Age", the Vinča culture provides the earliest known example of copper metallurgy.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Vinča symbols, sometimes called the Vinča script or Old European script (also Vinča signs, Vinča-Turdaş script, etc.) are a set of symbols found on Neolithic era (6th to 5th millennia BCE) artifacts from the Vinča culture of southeastern Europe.

The symbols are mostly considered as constituting an instance of "proto-writing"; that is, they probably conveyed a message but did not encode language, predating the development of writing proper by more than a millennium.

The nature and purpose of the symbols is a mystery. It is dubious that they constitute a writing system. If they do, it is not known whether they represent an alphabet, syllabary, ideograms or some other form of writing. Although attempts have been made to decipher the symbols, there is no generally accepted translation or agreement as to what they mean.

At first it was thought that the symbols were simply used as property marks, with no more meaning than "this belongs to X"; a prominent holder of this view is archaeologist Peter Biehl. This theory is now mostly abandoned, as same symbols have been repeatedly found on the whole territory of Vinča culture, on locations hundreds of kilometers and years away from each other.

Here's a link for Old European writing (Vinca)

www.omniglot.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
For those interested in this subject of neolithic civilization, here's an interesting article with maps.

www.continuitas.org...

THE PALEOLITHIC CONTINUITY PARADIGM FOR THE ORIGINS OF INDO-EUROPEAN LANGUAGES

There are several theories, and, shall I mention, heavy political influence especially on the older one's.

By the way, Dardanelles are called after Dardanians, who were also founders of Troy, and Dardania was in today's south Serbia, actually Kosovo... Dardanians still existed, at least people with that name, 2.500 years ago and are mentioned in various ancient texts.

edit on 29-9-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join