It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2011 SO5 coming close to earth tomorrow. NASA will be holding a press conference tomorrow o

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
condition code 8 means that it is 1 away from the most unstable calcuable type of orbit they would want, so that means its orbit is harder to calculate.

link   
whoooo this one gets kinda close to earth huh....o.O went and looked and it gets a lil to close for comfort....go away please meteor....

link   
Thats what it looks like to me, the worry thing is this one (2011 SJ16) 1km in size, code 8

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kwell

You are wrong. The "8" has nothing to do with the Torino scale.

The rock will miss Earth by more than a million miles and even if it didn't it's too small to do anything but produce a nice fireball. It would break up before reaching the surface.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwell

It says a collision is CERTAIN....neo.jpl.nasa.gov... the link you gave gave a link to NASA and it says it is certain that there will be an impact. Oh please, please correct me if I am wrong

As I posted above, the "code 8" refers to the certainty of the orbit; with 0 being absolutely certain and 9 being zero certainty. The code in question is not related to the Torino scale, which measures certainty of impact.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kwell

You are wrong. The "8" has nothing to do with the Torino scale.

The rock will miss Earth by more than a million miles and even if it didn't it's too small to do anything but produce a nice fireball. It would break up before reaching the surface.

If you click on the code...it does say that the orbit is uncertain. I don't know how to calculate the distance in miles but is seems real close and not a million miles away. Do you have any links for what you are saying.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
on the orbital track thing it looks as if the asteriod is right on top of earth on OCT 1. I zoome it in as much as possible.
How accurate is the tracking software on the web site?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Ok so I found out how to convert the au to miles and it is saying it is a millions miles away but orbit is still uncertain. I feel a little better now.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Can someone tell me where the torino scale is listed for this asteroid?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is it the 3 under reference? I don't see it on the web site either? Why not?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

Originally posted by kwell
So what do you think NASA is going to tell us tomorrow?

Something boring that won't deserve the amount of hype it is bound to get...

Just like every other NASA announcement...

This.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So basically it will pass overheaD but not impact us?
I hope so but woulnt the government prepare us if something was coming?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

It looks like its right on top of the earth right now..check out JPL. what does this mean..Make sure im getting this correct that the comet can be right on top of us but not hit cause of the distance away...So on top of us still far away??Its early.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join