It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework promoting polygamy & Islam garb sent home with students

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
One Georgia father is very angry and I don't blame him. His daughter came home with an assignment that showed polygamy in a positive light as well as instructing girls to dress in a way to avoid the lustful gaze of men. It's quite a lengthy article and I encourage everyone to read it prior to posting.
www.wsbtv.com...

The part that got me upset was the fact that the school administration responded to the father's concerns by telling him that they were sorry, but they didn't create the handout. It was given to them by the state to provide to the students.

Medlin showed Regan the assignment brought home by his 13-year-old daughter. The assignment consisted of a letter from Ahlima, a 20-year-old Muslim woman, and touts the advantage of a wearing a Burqa and finds the way western women dress to be "horribly immodest," according to the assignment.

The assignment shows Ahlima saying she doesn't mind if her future husband takes more wives. "I understand that some Westerners condemn our practice of polygamy, but I also know they are wrong," the assignment said.

"It's promoting or positively depicting their belief that polygamy is fine, if that’s what they believe. But I don't know how you could possibly state that and not have any kind of disclaimer that this is what these people think, but not necessarily what all of us believe," Medlin said.

Another page of the assignment lists the seven conditions for women's dress in Islam, including:
-It cannot resemble the clothing of nonbelieving women -It must protect women from the lustful gaze of men
It also states, "Islam liberated woman over 1,400 years ago. Is it better to dress according to man or God?”

The assignment in question was supposed to show students why they should follow the dress code. Well, I don't believe that it is ever appropriate for a young girl to walk around with it all hanging out, but covering up from nose to toe is going too far. Is there no middle ground? Where do Georgia's state officials stand?

The bottom line here is that the public school administration(s) in Georgia don't have the cajones to tell their state officials to shove it? If this isn't grounds for home schooling, I don't know what is.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I hate to sound like CHINA but personally I think all students should wear uniforms like they do in private schools and the boys and girls should be separated for classes so each could concentrate on studies.

Sorry but you only get one chance to learn for free.

You better get the most out of it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

So, as long as you're learning for free, you should be groomed however the system deems appropriate?
I don't have a problem with uniforms either, but to hell with someone teaching my son or daughter that it's OK to have more than one wife.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Good, unique find, Afterthought; especially considering this is Georgia *public* education schools.

It's only a matter of time that they withdraw this type of edict/assignment, unless it is some sort of concession they made for a religious discrimination case that was not publically announced.

Total violation of freedom of separation between church and state otherwise.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I hate to sound like CHINA but personally I think all students should wear uniforms like they do in private schools and the boys and girls should be separated for classes so each could concentrate on studies.

Actually, you can join the military and get paid to learn.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
One Georgia father is very angry and I don't blame him. His daughter came home with an assignment that showed polygamy in a positive light as well as instructing girls to dress in a way to avoid the lustful gaze of men.

Hmmm...what it also conveys is the fact that there are things in this society which we consider evils, that to those who practice Islam are not. It conveys the fact that these things are not always forced upon women, but are considered societal norms in some places. It conveys the fact that some of these moral designations may actually be subjective...even if one does not ascribe to them.

Isn't it kinda like decrying an individual who takes birth control or has an abortion being presented in a positive light because 'it encourages bad morals'?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

What I see to be a major fact of the matter is that organized religion should not be brought into any light in the classroom, unless attending a school belonging to an established sect. There is no fact based in any of the religions (I have my beliefs, and I do think that everything moves as one, but that is not the subject at hand), they can only allow for a useless label, and therefore create division amongst the populace of the planet.

The pledge of allegiance?

Ridiculous.

I live in Florida, and the education system that we have in this state is absolutely appalling. Kids in high school are literally treated as if they are all MORONS and incapable of conceptualizing thier own ideas. Questions are simply ignored in most of the classrooms.

I have been graduated from high school (I attended three, Gibbs High School, for the visual arts program, St. Pete Catholic, and St. Pete High) for three years now, and from what I see, it is only moving in this direction of this social "unawareness".

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
To those who have pointed out that there is an obvious breach in the fact that there should be separation of church and state, you're absolutely right. Especially since the assignment asked if a girl should dress to please men or G_d.

Girls should dress for themselves. They should wear clothes that demonstrate that they have self respect.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Only in America.

We are going to "tolerance and acceptance" ourselves right out of existence unless people start square filing the pc crapola.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

So, as long as you're learning for free, you should be groomed however the system deems appropriate?
I don't have a problem with uniforms either, but to hell with someone teaching my son or daughter that it's OK to have more than one wife.

That teacher or who ever is responsible should be removed immediately....I agree.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Please read the article.
It's not the teacher. The school administration responded to the father by telling him that the state told them to distribute the material to the students. The state is at fault. This has nothing to do with a teacher.

The State of Georgia is promoting these ideals. Not the school, not the city, not one teacher.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Sorry to be short and to the point but why should anyone care?

Its a school assignment. Let the teacher / school / state teach how it wants, all this shows is that this guy is butthurt about veils and the thought of people sharing each others partners.

What a twirp.
edit on 26-9-2011 by doom27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So, in my homework assignment I had to survive on an island with 5 guys and had to procreate civilization in order to make a community. Oh, and the 5 guys, were like, totally useless in doing the homework assignment. Imagine how I felt. I'll say 2 just gave me 5 lines to work with and proofread the work and said ok looks good. [They proofread it the day we had to make the speech]
Made an 89, I was sooo pissed. Just needed that last point. It had to be 7 pages long.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Would you want your daughter to be abused and treated as a piece of property, and subject to stoning if she doesn't cover up properly?

Yes, the example is extreme, but....oh wait. That is what happens IRL in some countries where a theocracy is in place.

This does not belong in America.

ETA: What is this newfangled "butthurt" word that is all the rage these days? Is it some sort of reference to rape of a persons but? I'm pretty sure that if my butt was raped, I would be justifiably pissed off. Does this negate the intended meaning?

edit on 26-9-2011 by sixswornsermon because: ..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The uniform concept is a way to keep students attention on studies. If it were not better all around for a multitude of reasons private schools would not employ it exclusively. Don't you think those parents would have balked? Do they hate their kids?

It is a way to keep students in a mindset that this time is not their own.
When they change clothes they are done with the work, the studies and out for the fun. I think it gives educators that much more of an edge and helps students to feel, if not be industrious. Kids are equal instantly and nobody is gawking at inappropriate nudity, pants hanging off the hips, dirty plaid underwear showing, skirts up around the whahoo, and that ridiculous veil or the cumbersome burka.

It has nothing to do with fact that the education is free except that if they don't learn now for whatever reason, (raging hormones) (provocative distraction) (sideshow religious freaks) they are going to PAY FOR IT LATER. Literally.

Protect their right to dress like pimps and sluts because this is AMERICA home of the ...
....well you get it.

Is this anyway to get to an educated populace?

Or are we wasting time they will have to pay and spend in school later?
or maybe just settle for one of the menial jobs that ISN'T out there, turn to drugs or starve to death?

That's not a good plan but unfortunately it is what is happening.

I can't just blame the clothes but maybe if we went to the uniforms and put this DRAMA aside we could at least give the kids an education so they don't have to WORK IN A UNIFORM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by doom27

Would you want your daughter to be abused and treated as a piece of property, and subject to stoning if she doesn't cover up properly?

Yes, the example is extreme, but....oh wait. That is what happens IRL in some countries where a theocracy is in place.

This does not belong in America.

No but unfortunately it happens in back alleys of America after nights in the bar rooms to women who do not cover up properly and drink a little too much all the time. It is called rape. They don't follow up with the stoning but sometimes well what they do is worse. Would conservative clothes have helped these girls? Yes. That and going home earlier and drinking a whole lot less. It is a combination of factors and nobody follows the bouncing burka out of a bar.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

yeah because you know all females who wear veils and participate in group sex and multi partner marriages are tools.

Don't take your anger out on other because you've never had a chance with group sex. Kids should be able to make their own choices, how are they to know what they want when their minds are manipulated by the same ideas, and never taught alternatives and other lifestyles?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard

Originally posted by newcovenant

Yes but, people say they also get rid of your morals so they can get you to kill.
I am sure for some this comes more naturally. Is it worth it?
Also the not coming back with all the limbs or at all, thing....is it worth it?

Also they don't take toddlers or grades 1 - 8 as near as I can tell.

link   

Originally posted by wWizard

If you are WORKING for the military to get that education, it is hardly free.

When I was in school we learned about other cultures. Not everyone was painted as bad or evil and just ignored or denounced. We actually learned why different cultures were different from us. We even learned about the Nazi culture but I do not recall anyone complaining that my school was promoting Nazis.

The biggest problem that seems to face the US today on the global stage is this mindset that we should not learn about or attempt to understand different people in the world.

I went to Catholic school for many years yet we still learned about Jewish, Muslim, etc. holidays and practices. I am not sure I understand the harm.

link   

America is a shining beacon of light (or is supposed to be) because of our freedom of choice to do as we please. The burkah is not about choice, it's about control. It's not about safety, it's about ownership.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join