It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework promoting polygamy & Islam garb sent home with students

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
dbl post
edit on 27-9-2011 by Honor93 because: delete double post

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by newcovenant

anyway, like I said until there is proof the State actually sent this letter - you are shooting blanks into the wind.

so, are you implying the email sent by Cobb County School district is irrelevant and doesn't qualify as 'proof'?

from the OPs link

On Friday afternoon, Regan got an email statement from a Cobb Schools saying the school district didn't create the materials, they were provided by the state
or were you just too lazy to read it??

When you have proof the state sent the letter then we can start to become offended or are you just too hot headed not to care to wait for proof? Hey its your blood pressure. And no, I am not too lazy to read, I am too lazy to give myself a heart attack over something that may not even be true.

And I also resent you insulting my common sense and refusal to make snap judgements.
An email statement saying "they were provided by the state" does not constitute proof.

Honor, my arse.

edit on 27-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
just wondering here....
were the boys given the same assignment???
are they now all expecting to have multiple wives when they grow up???

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
When you have proof the state sent the letter then we can start to become offended or are you just too hot headed not to care to wait for proof? Hey its your blood pressure. And no, I am not too lazy to read, I am too lazy to give myself a heart attack over something that may not even be true.

And I also resent you insulting my common sense and refusal to make snap judgements.
An email statement saying "they were provided by the state" does not constitute proof.

Honor, my arse.

edit on 27-9-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

well guess what ??? i'm offended that you are of the opinion that YOU are going to receive any 'proof' that you deem acceptable. who do you think you are ??? Ms Obama?

i'm sure i'm not so i'm equally positive i won't be on any 'recipient list' of the email ... what makes you so superior?

school boards don't send out business related emails for fun.
don't know how i insulted your common sense, you've got to display some before it can be insulted.

so, would this fabulous common sense be you inferring that the school 'planted' some nefarious materials to ONLY the 7th grade girls ?? and here i thought i was the conspiracy theorist

cheers to ya for that one i guess, even i didn't look that deeply into the rabbit hole.

and for the record ... why would i ...

Honor, my arse.
????

men do that for me

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Heaven forbid something new go into the school system just because your beliefs aren't being represented exclusivley anymore. It's good something other than the usual propaganda be in schools Do this Be this blah blah blah Whats wrong with diversity?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Headband7

beliefs aren't the issue here, laws are and they are being subverted with and by this propaganda.
how would you like it if some introduction paperwork barges into your education system and insists all PE (physical education) classes will now include moonshine sampling?
and, your homework assignment was to go home and brew some?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
ya know, aside from the illegal aspects of polygamy ... how is it that the commentary of a 20yr old and her comfort practicing such illegal acts, as an adult, relates to a group of 7th graders or a school 'dress-code' ??
which, by the way, was the initial assignment.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Understandable the homework shouldn't have even gone home separation of church and state don't put any beliefs in the public system. Either way I hope homework gets more diverse I don't really get where you're going with your moonshine analogy. That's a completely different thing, going home to brew monshine and sampling? Was her homework assignment to go home and become a polygamist for a day and stich up her own burqa to wear around the town? I don't think so the home work was over the line I'll give you that but my point is that we need to stop with the usual propaganda in schools.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

ya know, aside from the illegal aspects of polygamy ... how is it that the commentary of a 20yr old and her comfort practicing such illegal acts, as an adult, relates to a group of 7th graders or a school 'dress-code' ??

Did you read the article? Its quite clear. The teacher gave them an assignment meant to give perspective on the idea of 'dress code'. This specific example was a contrasting point to the western notion more provocative dress equals 'freedom'. It's not a promotion of 'shariah law', its an assignment meant to give students more perspective and insight into an issue.

That is the point of education-to learn new perspectives.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

beliefs aren't the issue here, laws are and they are being subverted with and by this propaganda.
how would you like it if some introduction paperwork barges into your education system and insists all PE (physical education) classes will now include moonshine sampling?

Thats ridiculous. The assignment wasn't to dress up in a burka and live under shariah law. The assignment was to READ the OPINION of a person in a different culture.

Why are you taking the example so grossly and inaccurately out of context?

Anti-Muslim hysteria is alive and well on ATS.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's interesting to read everyone's opinion on this issue and I'm noticing a pattern.
Why does everything have to be black and white -- no, I'm not being racist.

From the article:

The school told Regan the assignment was used to compare the pros and cons of the school's dress policy.

If you want to demonstrate to young adults (who have been brainwashed by the music/movie industry) why the school has a dress code, why are you going take information from the totally opposite end of the spectrum. These kids aren't capable of comparing and contrasting this information in a mature and sensible manner and this assignment is dead in the water from the word 'go'.

If you want kids to understand why it's important to dress appropriately in school, why not show them that this is how it's done in the workplace, not another culture. Unless you're planning on being a stripper when you grown up, having your boobs hanging out just doesn't cut it in 95% of the professional world. Young Americans don't want to cover themselves from head to toe -- and neither do I, but I know how to dress smart so others will show me respect and take me seriously.

If you want kids to listen to you and be able to understand, you have to teach to their level of comprehension.

I have no problem with Islamic code/law being taught in the schools, but it needs to stay in the history classes and religious studies electives. Not used as an everyday comparison to show how kids should dress.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Headband7
reply to post by Honor93

Understandable the homework shouldn't have even gone home separation of church and state don't put any beliefs in the public system. Either way I hope homework gets more diverse I don't really get where you're going with your moonshine analogy. That's a completely different thing, going home to brew monshine and sampling? Was her homework assignment to go home and become a polygamist for a day and stich up her own burqa to wear around the town? I don't think so the home work was over the line I'll give you that but my point is that we need to stop with the usual propaganda in schools.

ok, the moonshine example is because it is a southern heritage thing (like Islam is a religion), whose heritage shoulnd't matter. Also, moonshine is illegal as is polygamy ... regardless who is OK with it.
To send info like this home to 'brew' in a child's mind, to me, is equal in every way.
agreed, the prop needs to go but who is the gate keeper?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ARealandTrueAmerican

Did you read the article? Its quite clear. The teacher gave them an assignment meant to give perspective on the idea of 'dress code'. This specific example was a contrasting point to the western notion more provocative dress equals 'freedom'. It's not a promotion of 'shariah law', its an assignment meant to give students more perspective and insight into an issue.

That is the point of education-to learn new perspectives.

with this post, i'll go with a "i sure did but you sure didn't" answer for $100 plz

IF you read the story, you'll find the piece in question was authored by a 20yr old (adult) and relates to much more than any dress code ... hence the problem.
And as an aside, the assignment was Not about a 'muslim culture' because not all muslims don such attire. many dress conservatively and this didn't even address that topic.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Thats ridiculous. The assignment wasn't to dress up in a burka and live under shariah law. The assignment was to READ the OPINION of a person in a different culture.

so, you find the opinion piece of a 20yr old substantial and pertinent for a 13yr old?
why wasn't the piece age appropriate?
why wasn't it approved by the school board or parents prior to distribution?
if the teacher had no choice in presenting it, why didn't she forward an advisement/notice to parents?
as usual, the facts are lost to the 'euphemisms' of the day ... anti this, anti that, racist, boo, boo, whatever.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93I'm sure i'm not so i'm equally positive i won't be on any 'recipient list' of the email ... what makes you so superior?

school boards don't send out business related emails for fun.
don't know how i insulted your common sense, you've got to display some before it can be insulted.
Speaking as one who deals with teacher complaints all the time:
1. School Board is generally county/parish-wide, not state-wide.
2. State Mandates on material do not always detail HOW they want something taught, just that they want it taught.
3. School Boards do not always execute state plans the same from county to county.
4. My mother-in-law has to go back up the "food chain" to fix garbled instructions on new material all the time.
5. Something sent in 1 email, not detailed in implementation, to implement is NOT the general Mode of Operation that most school Boards go through. So one email about the material does not a point make.
6. They send new material all the time, that they want teachers to review, for future year's lessons. If the teacher only got part of what the school wanted in the curriculum for next year, and jumped the gun, there's going to be all sorts of fallout.
7. Male teachers, especially when dealing with female students or their mothers, have to walk on eggshells because often the assumption is that they have too much of an interest in little kids. If they address sexualized behavior in a classroom, they get reprimanded in ways the female teachers wouldn't. By the general mode of operation, if this is a male teacher, he's going to hang for this.
8. They bicker in emails.
9. School boards get themselves in trouble. All . The . Time .

Originally posted by Headband7 Either way I hope homework gets more diverse I don't really get where you're going with your moonshine analogy. That's a completely different thing, going home to brew monshine and sampling?
Deliberately obtuse?
1. Moonshine takes long enough to distill that "sampling" it before P.E. is not a directive to go home.
2. Moonshiners don't always make their hooch at home.
3. Having drinking alcohol on campuses goes against the drug free zone laws, so this is pitting something that is illegal against something else that is illegal.
4. Albeit that 1 is doing the illegal vs. teaching the illegal as acceptable.

Originally posted by Afterthought
It's interesting to read everyone's opinion on this issue and I'm noticing a pattern.
Why does everything have to be black and white -- no, I'm not being racist.
Because
1. People think of the things they fear most.
2. People have filters in place when new information comes in.
3. People who never spend time learning about the "other side" of the argument don't face in their counterpart's point of reference, or walk in their shoes, so to speak.
4. Most people are far more emotional than they are logical.
5. The ones that are logical still can't spot when their reasoning is grounded on emotional reasons.
6. People think highly of their own opinions.
..this can continue, but it gets really depressing.

I have no problem with Islamic code/law being taught in the schools, but it needs to stay in the history classes and religious studies electives. Not used as an everyday comparison to show how kids should dress.
And this may have been where this whole thing fell apart from State to School Board to Teacher. Teachers are encouraged to take the information that is intended for one course and cross it over into another course, especially for younger students who do not go from teacher to teacher. This is a general expectation they have of teachers. This material could have been detailed and outlined as to the social studies course that it pertains to: as in "Arab Month" or "Muslim month" or "Black history Month". I don't care what it's called; it's teaching about alternative cultures, and it has been done for a long time.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm so glad i was home schooled. My highschool started doing stupid things like this then I left. Thank goodness my parents were understanding...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The bottom line here is that the public school administration(s) in Georgia don't have the cajones to tell their state officials to shove it? If this isn't grounds for home schooling, I don't know what is.

Hmm

That last line got my conspiracy theorist hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

Georgia...candy apple red state having some skewed islamic "accidents" in public schools...who wins if indeed public schools become more and more emptied? does the state save money on new schools and teachers because the parents rip the kids from school?

Does anyone else suspect some potential foul play here in regards to money and political ideology moreso than the surface story?

I wonder how many other "incidents" happen across the state or from district to district that gets people disgusted and yanks their kids out of school in favor of home schooling.

Time for some investigative journalism to be done I think..sabotaging the school system is a high end game...played with pawns.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Oh, and quick opinion about the actual side subject...not that my opinion matters, but...

There is nothing wrong with polygamy..or right about it either. Its grown adults making a personal decision. There are currently civil laws forbidding it in the west, but otherwise, morally its neutral...if your specific religion says yes, then for you its good..if it says no, then your clearly a heathen

As far as underagers letting it all hang out...That comes down to teaching kids self respect. They do that for the attention of others of course (I want to say opposite sex here, but gay people do it also)..and teens are hormone driven of course (not like us adults that are clearly above that...-cough-)..but lack perspective and therefore control.

Parents...just dress like your kids...eventually you will weird em out soo much that they will dress conservatively if only to make you dress conservatively also. heh.
I have no actual solution to this..sign of the times I guess...sign of all times..the older gen will always disapprove of the younger gen in regards to morality, sensibility, etc...been like that since ancient greece..so at least there is consistancy. Islam can go stuff it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

and this is a surprise?

get at the end of the line.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Young Americans don't want to cover themselves from head to toe -- and neither do I, but I know how to dress smart so others will show me respect and take me seriously.

I think what has, is, and will always be missing in the youth's teaching is perspective.

The average adult (parent, teacher, etc) will see someone in school wearing clothes like she is about to work on the corner of 32nd and 3rd...and basically will say its inappropriate..period.

The kid hears that as a judgement towards them for eternity...what is needed is for adults to teach time and place...such as "wow, thats really nice clubbing clothes..you must look great on friday nights out and about...but here in school, well, first off, your making it less interesting by wearing it to school, and also it makes you look a bit silly".
Bit of perspective (the clothes are fine, the setting is wrong..like wearing a suit to the beach), and a touch of humility towards the choice tends to go a long way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join