It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD chief: Police could take down plane if needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

NYPD chief: Police could take down plane if needed

news.yahoo.com

EW YORK (AP) — The chief of the New York Police Department says city police could take down a plane if necessary.

Commissioner Ray Kelly tells CBS' "60 Minutes" that after the Sept. 11 attacks, he decided the city couldn't rely on the federal government alone. He set about creating the NYPD's own counter-terrorism unit. He says the department is prepared for multiple scenarios and could even take down a plane.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What does the City of New York Have? Shoulder held rockets? Blue thunder ( helicopter from that 80's TV show)?

Either way... I think its a little scary that a municipality can circumvent the federal government for national defense. What do you guys think? Should the City of New York be allowed to shot down planes without the Feds?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Yeah, I think it is a good thing that they city has taken on responsibility for its own defense. Leaves them prepared in case of catastrophic collapse of government.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I hear they bought a few of those Libyan Rebel Toyotas with a 20 cal on the back.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
If you look way, way back, cities had walls to keep out attackers. This is a similar thing. Its a city that is putting up its own secondary defence (primary being the federal gov't). Well done NY. Hopefully other cities will follow suit. Would make the US and Canada (if we decid to do it too) much harder to invade.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I like Ron Pauls idea

He did propose legislation that would allow airline pilots to begin carrying firearms in cockpits",

on the theory that

"it's much harder for terrorists to commandeer an airplane when pilots can fight back."

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I love the idea the NYPD has the capability. However, it would have meant so much more if they hadn't just blown the fact it exists to friends and enemies alike, world wide. Wouldn't a SAM missile defense option have been a good SURPRISE.....not just another annoyance for a potential attacker to know about and plan around now?

Secrecy in government used to mean something... Now we hear all about the things where secrecy really was important...and don't hear about the things the public really ought to know until it's too late, if ever. I just don't get what they are thinking sometimes.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The idea of some guido NYC cop playing around with a stinger missle doesn't comfort me that much.

And I'm pretty sure that without air defense coordination they'd have no idea what they were shooting at.

Not to mention the potential problems that go along with shooting down an airplane over a densly populated city.

Maybe the NYPD has expanded their airwing to include fighter jets? They already have drones, it's not that far fetched considering.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I think this is a more sensible approach then shooting planes out of the sky.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by finemanm

Yeah, I think it is a good thing that they city has taken on responsibility for its own defense. Leaves them prepared in case of catastrophic collapse of government.

Or peaceful nonviolent protestors on wall street...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
My opinion on this is that it's a good thing they have the capability to defend themselves from any threat to their city...but I highly doubt they would ever get to use equipment like such in time due to all the red tape they'd have to go through just to use it...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
city mayor thinks it is unlawful for private citizens to have legally purchased hand guns but is going to trust his super corute police force with anti aircraft military hardware . i really shudder and by the way if you hit one of them planes with a shoulder fired missile when it was a couple of miles out from trade center the speed they were traveling and their sheer mass would have carried them rest of way they might have missed tower but you would still have a plane hitting in the city.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
the new arms race .. which city will have the most heavily armed police. Whats next ICBM's for police use ? Never know when they may have to nuke a jaywalker or granny for littering...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Can my county seat do the same thing?

Since cities are corporations, could other corporations arm themselves similarly?

If I incorporate, can I get some heavy-duty weaponry like some attack choppers and shoulder-launched SA/ anti-armor/ APERS missiles..... you know, just to defend my corporation?
edit on 26-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
the new arms race .. which city will have the most heavily armed police. Whats next ICBM's for police use ? Never know when they may have to nuke a jaywalker or granny for littering...
Yeah, those Tasers just aren't enough nowadays.....

What with all of those heavily-armed gang members out there.

You are right. There has been a sort of city arms race already. One city gets an armored vehicle to break through barricaded hostage situations, shortly thereafter, another city follows suit witha bigger and better one that dispenses tear gas.... and so on.
edit on 26-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Im pretty sure the Feds have already given them the equipment and go ahead if need be.

Originally posted by finemanm

What does the City of New York Have? Shoulder held rockets? Blue thunder ( helicopter from that 80's TV show)?

Either way... I think its a little scary that a municipality can circumvent the federal government for national defense. What do you guys think? Should the City of New York be allowed to shot down planes without the Feds?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hm, i'm all for them strengthening their capabilities, but sending officers abroad ? What do they mean by that exactly ? Training ? Or to actually do missions and whatnot ?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Their going to put AA guns on top of the pd

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
US Army General Wesley Clark released US Army Ordinance to be used against innocent women and children at Waco.

He wasn't held accountable for releasing military ordinance to kill Americans.

So likely some US Army General released Surface to Air rockets to NYPD.

They could even fire them off from their helicopters if need be. Just open the side door and aim 'er out....whoooosh!

Isn't it sad our military is releasing military munitions/rockets to be used against Americans?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
its pretty obvious this is for any potential rebellion in the future. first wave attack capability.
the military could easily take hold of that type of situation but this is for dissenters and AWOL military types in the near future is my guess.

top topics

join