It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. likely to deploy drones on Turkish soil to fight Kurdish rebels.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Meet the new Turkey....

Same as the Old Pakistan.

We'll never learn.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
this is some seriously messed up crap

fighting the kurds

aiding radical islam in libya

yeah the leader of this country who controls the miltary and signed off on this stupidity needs to go

and the kicker is who helped us in the iraq war and who gave us the shaft an would let troops be brought in through

their borders.

turkey needs kicked out of nato and all ties need broken off.

the us has a responsibity to the kurds but not to freaking kill them
'
i mad as hell about this

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Meet the new Turkey....

We'll never learn.

I have NO-ZERO idea who starred you!
BUT Turkey is a NATO Alie. So we will stand by them for now...

For now

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Meet the new Turkey....

We'll never learn.

Regardless Turkey is our NATO ally and they fought with us in the Korean War 1950-1953.

As of now, i believe that the Turks hated the Kurds a lot. Remember one time during Operation Provide Comfort after the first Gulf War, British soldiers have tons of problem with Turkish soldiers not letting the Kurds get humanitarian aid.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
For the life of me I don't understand why Turkey and Iraq wont give up a small amount of land each so these people can have their own country. I remember almost coming unglued when Bush Sr fumbled the ball on the question of the Kurds when Saddam after Gulf War 1 renewed his aggression towards them and didn't really step in and stop the slaughter.

Because Bush Sr said that it's no the matter who stick it's nose in. That's why. The only thing we did was the no-fly zones.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

you got me.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

True, Turkey is a NATO ally. But to be truthful, I think it's more for convienance sake than anything else nowadays.

But this looks like to be a replay when India decided to buy all that Soviet Bloc equipment during the cold war. We immediately started helping the Pakistanis out. I think we are acting to fast.

I worked with the PKK and PDK my last two deployments on the Iranian border. They had their act together. They still clashed from time to time, but it rarely lasted long and reparations were always made. Mostly they worked out their problems...for now.

The PKK launches attacks Turkey from Iraq, but to the best of my knowledge, the PDK never did. Their attention was on Iran.

One thing that was told to me by a old Kurd terp was, "No matter where a Kurd stands in the world...he is in Kurdistan."

I found it amusing and told him, "No wonder you guys are always fighting."

His reply to me was..."It is our way."

Alliances have a way of shifting a lot over there.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Alright, is this a debate between NATO and Israel?

Seriously, you two need to square your asses away!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Not at all. I am just not a fan of the current Turkish Government under Erdogen. The troubles between Israel and Turkey are another matter in another post.

I really don't blame Turkey for going after terrorists, they need to. I just don't like the direction they are taking within their country against some of the populace.

Actually, I concur with Jake51 on this one.

edit on 25-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I concur with Jake51 as well but....

All isn't well on this Issue which could make or break NATO/US support.

The US should IMO let them clear this up themselves...

Has that been mentioned?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You just did, and I thought I said so as well.

My first post was a bit to snarky upon reflection. I tried to clear that up.

But I'll leave it there otherwise people will wonder why Dads yellin' at the kids.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

You do realize that I'm an Israeli supporter but with Massive & variable reservations?

edit on 25-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I remember. As am I. How did Israel get involved in this discussion? It's about US drones and Turkey. But yes, I can see the ramifications.

I don't always agree with what Israel does, but they have my support overall.

If we give drone support to the Turks, and the Turks fire upon the Cyprus ships drilling or if the Turks fire upon the Israeli Navy enforcing the blockade and on and on...

Lots of big if's involved and none look to good to me.

The region is a tinderbox as it is.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The link you provided was most helpful.
Ok, so after deploying Israeli Herons and indigenous uav's, Turkey really wants the big boys, the Reaper, to bomb the rebels, but will settle for the Preds, since Congress didn't budge on Reaper sale and US will be provided a home for Preds out of Iraq.

US will not interfere with Turkey and Iran taking care of their mutual enemy, the Kurdish rebels. PKK is deemed terrorist group by Turkey, Iran, US, which makes it handy for US to wash hands of involvement of more than intelligence gathering drone flights.

Both Turkey and Iran want to squash any movement (the rebels) that would incite their Kurdish populations to independence. Also get back at rebels for attacks in Turkey. Go after rebels in mountainous regions of northern Iraq. Using drones to gather intelligence. If Reaper used, rebels go after US interests.

I dunno, did I get it right?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I remember. As am I. How did Israel get involved in this discussion? It's about US drones and Turkey. But yes, I can see the ramifications.

I don't always agree with what Israel does, but they have my support overall.

If we give drone support to the Turks, and the Turks fire upon the Cyprus ships drilling or if the Turks fire upon the Israeli Navy enforcing the blockade and on and on...

Lots of big if's involved and none look to good to me.

In addition to using US surveilliance assets, Turkey is also using Iranian drone assets. I see Turkey trying to play both sides of the road, which of course is their choice. However I dont see a need to supply them with advanced material if there is a possability its going to be used against other US allies in the region.

And ally is an ally is an lly and is based on mutual respect and shared concerns / ideals. An ally is not a country who demands access to high level tech or they will take their marbels elsewhere.

If they think Iran is a positive influence, then they are more than welcome to get assistance from them.

The region is a tinderbox as it is.

edit on 26-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

Pretty much right on the nose. The US does label the PKK as a terrorist group, but since they specifically target their traditional enemies (Turkey / Iran / Iraq) the US pretty much stays out of it. The only times we really intervened was when Hussein decided to gas the area resulting in the no fly zone in the north of Iraq.

Essentially the PKK is pushing for the exact same thing the Palestinians are wanting. Their own homeland made up of traditional Kurd territory (another ball fo wax).

Turkey became a part of NATO to offset the fact they share a border (at the time) with the Soveit Union. We based missiles as well as surveillance aircraft there. It was a buffer to the Middle East as well as any push through Southern Europe.

Turkey is using its new found position of big fish in small pond with regards to the Middle East to get some of the things they want. The closeness to Iran, in my opinion, is 2 fold. Iran is pushing to be a power broker as well, and by working with Iran, they are in a position to reap any rewards. Secondly by doing that it forces the EU / NATO and the US to playtheir game.

The question they have to answer is how important is Turkey....

The 64k dollar question......

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Im just reading a book called Desert Fire, where the Spec Ops think the US are on the Kurds side but they aren't, they are a rutheless bunch of two faced bullies, they want the Kurds help and let them think in return they will get something, but they are telling Turkey pretty much not to worry, we will use them then you can have what you want.

Its no wonder whatsoever that America is hated by many.

Their government have no morals and are out to get everything for themselves and to hell who gets hurt in their way.

Bout time Europe started turning its back on the US, there is no threat from Russia to Europe, its not even on the cards. Its OK being Allies but america is a bully, and I would rather not support a bully.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterBurns
Im just reading a book called Desert Fire, where the Spec Ops think the US are on the Kurds side but they aren't, they are a rutheless bunch of two faced bullies, they want the Kurds help and let them think in return they will get something, but they are telling Turkey pretty much not to worry, we will use them then you can have what you want.

Its no wonder whatsoever that America is hated by many.

Their government have no morals and are out to get everything for themselves and to hell who gets hurt in their way.

Bout time Europe started turning its back on the US, there is no threat from Russia to Europe, its not even on the cards. Its OK being Allies but america is a bully, and I would rather not support a bully.

The Turks asked the U.S. for help and the Kurds on the other side i don't know what. Regardless, by that logic,. Europe should handle Libya by themselves for once without the United States. But now they are cowards and had to ask the United States for bailouts.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Wouldnt reall go so far as to say they are cowards, the problem is we were burned by Bush's bullying starting illegal wars, if we want to be part of a united nations on earth we should abide by their rules no matter how frustrating they are.

Problem is, UN stands by and lets human atrocities happen under its nose because it hasnt quite got the balance right just yet.

So then America decides it can do what ever it wants without the uN and bullies its way in.

And then america uses the UN to punish others.

Once again, the big bully has it all its own way. Getting its fat little fingers involved in everything everywhere cos they think they are World Police.

The country is in a mess and yet you preach moralilty elsewhere.

Hypocrit Bullies

top topics

<< 1   >>

join