It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. likely to deploy drones on Turkish soil to fight Kurdish rebels.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

U.S. likely to deploy drones on Turkish soil to fight Kurdish rebels.

www.haaretz.co m

The U.S. will likely deploy some Predator drones on Turkish soil, the Turkish prime minister said last Friday. Turkey has been pressing for the drones in an escalating war against Kurdish rebels.

The U.S. shares drone surveillance data from northern Iraq with Ankara to aid its fight against Kurdish rebels who have bases in Iraq. The two countries have been negotiating the possible deployment of Predator drones after the U.S. leaves Iraq.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday the t..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
LOL i can't believe this. The U.S. help the Kurds a lot in the no-fly zones in the 1990s and now the U.S. is giving the Turks drones to fight off the same people we are helping for the past 20 years.

I guess the Turks really hated the Kurds a lot so it's no wonder they refuse to help them let the Kurds in during the 1991 uprising in Iraq.

I don't know who is a the real bad guy here? the Kurds or the Turks?

www.haaretz.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Poor Kurds - when Saddam was gassing them, they were the good guys and we had to help them. Now that they are against the Turks they must clearly be the bad guys...

Wait.. dude..whoa.. what?

Its a sick and twisted world my friends.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Poor Kurds - when Saddam was gassing them, they were the good guys and we had to help them. Now that they are against the Turks they must clearly be the bad guys...

Wait.. dude..whoa.. what?

Ya i agree, i cannot believe this.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Maybe this is an attempt by the US to hopefully loosen the tension between Israel and Turkey? For instance, "We'll give you access to the drones, but you have to simmer down about Israel?" Maybe something to that affect? Still, why are we giving this to them in the first place?

If I can recall they did not give the US access to their country in 2003 to invade Iraq from north. At present, they are pushing their weight around in the Middle East and disrupting the delicate balance. This cooperation may have something to do with the NATO cooperation by Turkey and US as well. Furthermore, the PKK is considered a terrorist organization by the US as they are in Turkey. Still, I think this gesture may have something to do with loosening the tensions between Turkey and Israel. I would let them duke it out with the PKK on their own, but that is just me.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
For the life of me I don't understand why Turkey and Iraq wont give up a small amount of land each so these people can have their own country. I remember almost coming unglued when Bush Sr fumbled the ball on the question of the Kurds when Saddam after Gulf War 1 renewed his aggression towards them and didn't really step in and stop the slaughter.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Maybe this is an attempt by the US to hopefully loosen the tension between Israel and Turkey? For instance, "We'll give you access to the drones, but you have to simmer down about Israel?" Maybe something to that affect? Still, why are we giving this to them in the first place?

If I can recall they did not give the US access to their country in 2003 to invade Iraq from north. At present, they are pushing their weight around in the Middle East and disrupting the delicate balance. This cooperation may have something to do with the NATO cooperation by Turkey and US as well. Furthermore, the PKK is considered a terrorist organization by the US as they are in Turkey. Still, I think this gesture may have something to do with loosening the tensions between Turkey and Israel. I would let them duke it out with the PKK on their own, but that is just me.

I believe so i mean Israel for once was surrounded by unfriendly countries who are hated so much by the International community.

I don't know the same thing that we considered the KLA a terrorist organization by the U.S. and it's allies during the 1998-1999 Kosovo war.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So it is getting alot easier to be involved militarily through the use of Drones... an only increasing trend in USA strategy.

I wonder how this new action will come full circle in a few years from now...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
i mean Israel for once was surrounded by unfriendly countries who are hated so much by the International community.

How far back does your knowledge of the history of Israel go?

Just curious is all...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Kurds happen to populate areas with significant amounts of oil. Sucks to be them.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
No! No! No! No! No! Just work at disclosing things and getting people into unity and equality. That is what leaders need to do world wide and need to support.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Interesting.

Originally posted by Frogs

Sadly so, sadly so.
If I were to read a book on the history of the Kurdish rebels and their supporters, I would be lost at pg 2.
more info...
U.S. Silent on Iranian Raids Against Kurdish PJAK Rebel Group
the MEK supporters mentioned in the article include Tea Partier/Freedom Works Dick Armey
see ATS thrad here for info by poster Someone336 re Dick Armey and MEK

Maybe someone can explain to me what it all means/what's going on...I can only guess that only someone in the CIA knows, and they're not talking ...maybe I don't even want to know, as I'ld only be more disgusted and cynical

edit on 25-9-2011 by desert because: clarification

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The hypocracy of this world just amazes me.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Not just didn't step in to help the Kurds in '91 Slayer...Bush snr actually set the poor buggers up for a slaughter.

The US promised them arms and support if they rose up against Saddam, promised they would be protected....so they rose up, and Bush didn't lift a finger to help them.

Perhaps the US was hoping they'd all be totally wiped out and that would be the end of the 'Kurdish problem' in the region.

And yeah, i'd imagine Israel is loving the idea of predator drones over Turkey...the intel they'll collect on Turk strategic positions and movements would be sent right to mossad for analysis, and if Turkey dares to stand up against the bullies, the drones would be in a sweet position to 'encourage' them to reconsider.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Not just didn't step in to help the Kurds in '91 Slayer...Bush snr actually set the poor buggers up for a slaughter.

Hindsight being 20/20 who knew then?!

The US promised them arms and support if they rose up against Saddam, promised they would be protected....so they rose up, and Bush didn't lift a finger to help them.

See this is where I will disagree. I remember there were plenty of heated debates/arguments on whether we should do any or all of that but it never really went past the discussion stage.

ETA: No promises were made that I'm aware of.

Hence we dropped the ball.
edit on 25-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Afghanistan
Iraq
Libya
and, just for #s and giggles, let's get involved with Turkey.

.... I am typically what is called a "Hawk" - I am quick to suggest diplomacy via the delivery of munitions ... but it seems like it's a bit unwise at this point in time to commit resources to another conflict. Other countries are more than capable of killing each other without the U.S. getting involved. Sure - we do it better than most, but I'm not seeing why it should be considered necessary while we are in a depression, for God's sake.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Perhaps the US was hoping they'd all be totally wiped out and that would be the end of the 'Kurdish problem' in the region.

And yeah, i'd imagine Israel is loving the idea of predator drones over Turkey...the intel they'll collect on Turk strategic positions and movements would be sent right to mossad for analysis, and if Turkey dares to stand up against the bullies, the drones would be in a sweet position to 'encourage' them to reconsider.

Bush Sr never said they would intervened to help the Kurdish rebels..the U.S. just basically told the Kurds and the Shiite Muslims to rise up but they didn't say one word about interventionism. That's it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

Actually from US media sources this is being discussed but nothing has been agreed to. The ccurrent program in place shares live video from the drones to Turkish sources and is restricted to jsut surveillance. It does make one wonder if this announcement by the turks isnt designed to force the issue. If the announcement by the Turkish PM pisses off the PKK, and they decide to target Americans as a result, it will drag us into the conflict.

To me the announcement looks like its an effort to force the issue. The Us didnt want to surveillance cooperation announced either, and it haas been.

U.S. considering Ankara’s request to base Predators in Turkey to fight a Kurdish group in northern Iraq

At the rate Turkey has been going and its closer ties with Iran, agression towards Israel and Cypruss, I think giving any type of technical advantage is a bad idea. There is no telling who else it might be used against.

The US has not taken a side in the Kurd issue, and by providing this capability ot turkey will do nothing but torque the PKK off to th extent of possibiliy targeting US intrests.

Deny the request and stay out of the regional issue,.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
i mean Israel for once was surrounded by unfriendly countries who are hated so much by the International community.

How far back does your knowledge of the history of Israel go?

Just curious is all...

I don't know anything about Isral at all but like Americans, they are hated too.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It's a damn wonder those ehf'ing tards running our military can remember which hand they write with cause they damn sure can't remember much else about their past...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join