It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Elenin Doesn't Kill You, Hairy Crazy Raspberry Ants Eventually Will

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Attack of the hairy crazy ants: The two-millimeter pests crawling through America

You read it right. They are coming. And they are hairy and crazy and they hate you.

Unleashing antisocial behaviour wherever they go, hairy crazy ants - sometimes known as raspberry crazy ants - have now made it to the southern state of Louisiana.

They get their name because they are covered with little spikes and run around in little circles - as if they're mad.

Just great. As if I needed something else to deal with.

Insane back haired ants

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Wow, the threat from these blighters is obviously a whole lot bigger than any piddling little comet.

Nice find OP. S&F.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

Sometimes it's the small things that can get you.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
lab created just like Africanized Killer Bees

second line

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
lab created just like Africanized Killer Bees

second line

Really? That would be par for the course but I haven't seen that...bio-engineered tiny ants that bite the crap out of you and run in circles...awesome.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
would not want them ants in my garden!

That was a good read though.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
is it really necessary to put Elenin in every thread title? especially when it is completely unrelated. This word is spreading like a virus.. much like the ants you speak of..

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Perhaps they are zombie ants? Then it might be something to worry about lol...www.livescience.com...

Just kidding. This is an interesting piece. Thank you and have a great day!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Its ok I have anteaters for sale. pm me

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
is it really necessary to put Elenin in every thread title? especially when it is completely unrelated. This word is spreading like a virus.. much like the ants you speak of..

No it is not necessary to do so, but to your point, I was making the same point by putting it in.
Also, I may have simply created this thread due to the eye-catching name of these jerk ants, I can't say for sure.
Sorry if it offened you.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1

Perhaps they are zombie ants? Then it might be something to worry about lol...www.livescience.com...

Just kidding. This is an interesting piece. Thank you and have a great day!

Oooohhhh....cordyseps give me the creeps...real life zombies - ick. Thanks!

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

Yeah, they are just so random in their ways...and they have spikes on them and they are anti-social. And they are crazy, so don't even think of it...just back away slowly...

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I'll take two - and no lemons like the last one you sold me Larry.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Is this a new species or what? Science plz

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Something about tiny animals taking down every home's personal computers and unknowingly changing access to information and global communication seems very Margaret Atwood. Would be even juicier if they really were lab created (although I don't believe so in this case). The rest of the world's inhabitants are #ing with your electrical systems, trying to gain back a hold on what we've built overtop of. Actually a very cool story, OP.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Hairy crazy ants have lived in Florida since the 1950s, but didn't start spreading until 2000.
In 2002 they reached Houston, Texas and by 2009 they had reached the Mississippi coast.
Last year the Mississippi Entomological Association reported that the first confirmed case in Mississippi was a mind-boggling infestation with a huge number of different nests and queens

Here is a scientific paper on the EXPLOSION of said crazy hairy ants...

Scientific info on Lunatic Dreadlock Ants

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

No lemons in this batch. These are hard core survivalist anteaters perfect for ant security around your inner bunker.

The crazy Rasberry ant or Rasberry crazy ant is an invasive species of ant found near Houston, Texas.[1][2] While this species is part of the crazy ant complex (group named because of the ants' random, nonlinear movements) the media and others in Texas are also calling it "Rasberry" after the exterminator Tom Rasberry who first noticed the ants were a problem in 2002.
This ant has yet to be identified as a species due to confusion regarding the taxonomy of the genus, and has for now been scientifcally named Nylanderia species near pubens. This ant may or may not be the same ant as the Caribbean crazy ant, Nylanderia pubens (Forel).

via Wikipedia

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by windus
Something about tiny animals taking down every home's personal computers and unknowingly changing access to information and global communication seems very Margaret Atwood. Would be even juicier if they really were lab created (although I don't believe so in this case). The rest of the world's inhabitants are #ing with your electrical systems, trying to gain back a hold on what we've built overtop of. Actually a very cool story, OP.

Thanks for that reply and I agree - as many wait for impending doom from a massive chunk of rock from space, the smallest little buggers are eating our infrastructure...and did I mention they are crazy? And they hate you?

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

That's what you said last time and I find out the darn thing is ALLERGIC to ants!
Thanks for the info and I'm sorry. I may have to look elsewhere for my anteaters.
Edit to add: lol this story is at the bottom of page one on google for hairy crazy ants...

CJ
edit on 24-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
What a blessing! They have come from out of nowhere suddenly, they do not sting but rarely bite, the bite itself is far less annoying than a fire-ant, they attack and kill fire-ant colonies, and they are telling us that we need to move to a better energy delivery system.

Amazing! Raspberry Ants and Crazy too! Why is it that anything that is actually doing something good is considered crazy?

I will consider this a case of "Spontaneous Creationism"; as our environments change, as our paradigms change, and possibly our genetic awakenings this just might be a reoccurring expression. A niche was open and something came along to fill that need!

If anyone has ever accidentally stood upon fire-ants, it is only seconds before they all bear down and cause tiny water welts/blisters that sting. Excruciating is putting it mildly. I think I like Raspberry Ants!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join