It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UARS slows down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
www.ajc.com...

How does this happen?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

atmospheric drag, the lower it gets, the thicker atmosphere slows it down until it falls from the sky.

edit: i'm not sure what that link is talking about saying its flipped and stalled or something. as far as know everything is as expected (not that i know much).

edit on 23-9-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
is there any more new son where it might land n what time ? ive tried to look but cant find anything as yet. am sure i hear it will hit about 01.00 uk time ?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
in the netherlands a loud mysterious bang has been reported.. We were in it's path, but im not convinced it was the Uars..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

correct, it will naturally slow down as air resistance increases, until it ultimately puts on the brakes - by crashing into the earth, wherever it may land. Satellites (most that we know of anyway) only have small positioning systems for fine tuning their relative positions in space, but not for actually propelling themselves.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Either the satellite decided it didn't want to fall to earth or someone else is controlling it.
Or it could just be the whole atmosphere expanding thing, which I didn't understand a word of

This report is not helping the whole "the satellite falling is a false flag/cover up thing." Are they trying to egg on the ATSers?
I guess Elenin is taking longer than they thought to get here so they have to come up with something.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Earthlings can take comfort in the fact that no one has ever been hurt by falling space junk — to anyone's knowledge — and there has been no serious property damage. NASA put the chances that somebody somewhere on Earth would get hurt at 1-in-3,200. But any one person's odds of being struck were estimated at 1-in-22 trillion, given there are 7 billion people on the planet.

The odds of someone getting hit is 1 in 22 trillion, so how could the odds of someone getting hurt 1 in 3,200? Or am I reading something wrong?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus

atmospheric drag, the lower it gets, the thicker atmosphere slows it down until it falls from the sky.

edit: i'm not sure what that link is talking about saying its flipped and stalled or something. as far as know everything is as expected (not that i know much).

edit on 23-9-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

So, if it is as simple as that, how come NASA doesn't factor that into the trajectory? But they mention in the article that the solar activity was affecting the fall plan, but now it isn't anymore.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Perhaps it has decided to just park in a lower orbit and hang out for awhile to mess with the egg-heads?

Actually it will continue to slow down due to drag...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yes. And its gonna slow down much more until it reaches terminal velocity relative to its mass.
The fastest piece won't be over 240 mph.

link   

Originally posted by dedpope

The odds of someone getting hit is 1 in 22 trillion, so how could the odds of someone getting hurt 1 in 3,200? Or am I reading something wrong?

The odds of some random person being hit is 1/3200 and the odds of it hitting YOU (or any other specific person
) is at 1/22 trillion.

Uars orbit data

NASA Uars updates

Cheers Oz
edit on 23/9/2011 by Ozzealander because: (no reason given)

link   
Well, since the few sites that can show a real time track are apparently down due to simple overloads of traffic, I wonder if someone who IS seeing a display can do the rest of us a huge favor? Can someone simply post the global map with the next several passes overlaid and some idea of where in those tracks the formal re-entry process ought to start? I'm giving up on slipping into a traffic gap for the main services supplying data right now.

edit on 23-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Elexio

in the netherlands a loud mysterious bang has been reported.. We were in it's path, but im not convinced it was the Uars..

Where in NL?? Can you provide for a link? Is it in the news?? I am in Rotterdam, didn't hear a thing...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This page has a live video of where it is, and it is working:

www.livestream.com...

www.spaceflightnow.com...

They are both the same camera from different sites, and they are working!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Orbital Mechanics and Drag

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

The thicker atmosphere makes it slow to Terminal Velocity. The space shuttle had to turn its nose up for more surface area to slow down via drag. So unless UARS flipped to deliver more surface area (according to NASA they have no control) it would automatically fall along the "path of least resistance" or less surface area.

I may totally be wrong here, but as far as I know this is just physics 101.
edit on 23-9-2011 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
today.msnbc.msn.com...

spacepolicyonline.com...:uars-decay-rate-slows-us-may-be-at-risk-after-all&catid=67:n ews&Itemid=27

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

news.google.com... i2NInusQeaOA&rt=MORE_COVERAGE&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424053111903703604576588442386872646.html

global.christianpost.com...

edit on 23-9-2011 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Thanks for the links. That display loaded instantly and is updated..Just what I was looking for to see where it's at. Things obviously get badly overloaded when the whole on-line world is looking for information on the same thing at roughly the same time.

top topics

join