It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a great idea.... (guy builds his own Hobbit hole)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
WOW!! Thats just Beautiful.. Love it..!!

Hmmmm... Now to find a block of land + a man who's good with wood to build me one

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wo0kiEE
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Apparently only took 3 months, about 1500 man hours.. and he isn't a builder

as for mortgages, we were told by our elders that having a house, car, well paid job was what made people happy and successful. Stupid thing was, we listened..

Exactly...that's how slaves are made. As we are all slaves to the government & societies we reside in

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

That is just bad ass!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Some years back there was a similar Hobbit house being sold, but it was stronger, bigger, had backup batteries to have power at night and in case of storms, or cloudy days for when the solar panels couldn't be used, and of course was a lot more expensive. It was almost $500k U.S.D.

This house looked like a Hobbit house, but with a garage as well, lol.

Somebody must have bought it because I haven't been able to find it anymore.
edit on 22-9-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I have to say even though I completely LOVE the Hobbit house, I'm still trying to find an old Cold War bunker to buy....

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I've spent the last 6 months fantasising about living like a hobbit, this is absolutely amazing! It's like my dream, if I had the mooney I would join him in a heartbeat!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LapsedPacifist

You realize he doesn't get ATS in that hobbit hole.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Apparently a company has approached him to work on similar eco homes. I should imgaine that if a company gets hold of this idea and develops them, the 3k cost to build will be dwarfed by the 300k price tag! Well done to him though, he has worked hard, created a beautiful home keeping in theme with it's surroundings and if he makes a lot of money from this then he deserves it! My only concern is that the British system is the most corrupt and filthy of the planet, hell bent on destroying any and every working man and woman in the country. I wouldn't be shocked if the local authority issued him with a fine for a planning law oversight, or valued his property at an astronomical price and then issued him with a backdated council tax bill. Don't worry about the thieves on Dale Farm, this is the guy we want to smash! A guy trying to beat the system with honest hard work and dedication! I hope I'm worng, but I've worked in government long enough to know that I rarely am.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
yeh well done for him and his family , although its ok if you can find a piece of land on which to build a hobbit hole !
I can imagine it now when we all try to do the same , at least here in scotland I'd be kicked out by a lord or local goverment quicker than a crofter !

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Yeh give me a cold war bunker any day ! , however there are not alot in scotland.
I'd even settle for a disused missle silo like bob lazar!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Sweet house. It says he isnt a builder but his dad was and thats obvious with the roof.

I just hope over the years the house doesnt end up collapsing and killing his entire family. Moisture will get into the wood, the ground will start sinking, then a big storm rolling through could bring the whole thing down.

and now that its all over the internet its probably only a matter of time that the inspectors roll through with code violations and evict them.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

awesome idea.Sick of mortgages which means death pledge, arent we all.Paying three times for what the house is worth it doesnt make sense only to bankers.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Yeh give me a cold war bunker any day ! , however there are not alot in scotland.
I'd even settle for a disused missle silo like bob lazar!

I'm happy with a disused missle silo...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

My kinda place!

GREAT find. S&F&

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Now that's just epic... Kudos to that Welshman!
Who wrote it in stone that modern-day houses are the ONLY acceptable way to make a habitable home?

I remember seeing a documentary (can't remember the name for the life of me) about an older man in the desert who built "dome houses" for next to no money out of scrap materials; like tires, bottles, wood and paper-cement. He also used air-shafts for constant ventilation and I'm pretty sure he used wind/solar power.
Turns out people wanted them, but when he built one to sell, the legal system sprang into action saying the structure wasn't "to modern standards" and it wasn't connected to an electrical/water grid, and therefore could not be made or sold.
He went to he extent of creating his own Bill to be put into the legal system so he could produce the houses, but it eventually ran out of time to be passed, because of our oh-so-speedy legal system saying "mr. speaker... mr. speaker" all day.

Aside from my ramblings, I hope that someday people will go back to building houses out of whatever works for them, I'm sure producers' profits have been just fine for these last few years...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
While i love the design and the whole idea of the project.
I see a real big problem if it ever comes a hard rain.
Built into the hill side like it is all the rain water will end up in their living room.
And while i'm sure he has built i drainage, i don't think it will be enough.
I think it's very wet in Wales anyway.
Great idea but.......

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

I want one! I want one! I want one!
(I'm going to keep saying this to my husband until he gives in)

Thanks for this, OP - I just LOVE to see people doing things like this.
Screw the Man - Screw what other people think - Screw living in a series of freaking boxes for the rest of your life - Live in a hobbit hole!!

Seriously - he did a great job building that. I bet his boys are in heaven! What kid wouldn't be?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
it would be nice to see more designs like this, and less regulations. Microhomes in the US are largely illegal because zoning codes include minimum square ft and utility requirements. Communities who have regulated an obsolete and expensive quality of life are doomed to failure.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
check the ATS archives with the 'search' functionj... this hobbit house ain't new since 22 Sept 2011

its been published a year or two ago... along with Eco-Villages worldwide...which use natural, low impact materials to construct abodes...

i do admit that there are more images and input about the construct than was published in the ATS threads of long ago... but do we need reminded every 100 days?

~weary, traveler~

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That's so cool. I told my girlfriend this is the kind of house I want to live in and she said no. -.-

I hope the government doesn't decide to come up with some garbage reason to kick him out. If he and his family want to live in a shack that might be dangerous (which is likely isn't) that's their prerogative.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join