It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a great idea.... (guy builds his own Hobbit hole)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Have to say all credit to this guy, I suspect he isn't the first nor will he be the last, I'm sure some council or governing body will come along with some trumped up piece of bureaucratic BS to say he can't do it.

HOBBIT HOLE

Link to his site

Simon Dale

With the Global economy looking like it's heading for a Double Dip recession I think I might consider doing what he has

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Nice looking family.

And I bet it didn't even take him 30 years to build it.

Why do we let ourselves become enslaved to a mortgage again?
Someone remind me.

David Grouchy

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Apparently only took 3 months, about 1500 man hours.. and he isn't a builder

as for mortgages, we were told by our elders that having a house, car, well paid job was what made people happy and successful. Stupid thing was, we listened..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Wow! even though I have seen these hobbit houses before, I got to say I am impressed with what the guy did. Hes definitively my hero of the month or possible even year. Teach a man to fish eh, what ever happened to that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I wish I had the skills do that. That is probably the most amazing house i've ever seen.

I'm jealous :

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Wow! even though I have seen these hobbit houses before, I got to say I am impressed with what the guy did. Hes definitively my hero of the month or possible even year. Teach a man to fish eh, what ever happened to that.

Something else that struck me as heroic was the fact his wife and child camped in the woods, while he was building the house. So I would have to say the entire family are just incredible, he is rumored to be building an entire village the same way & you can go lend a helping hand...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Awesome, I love these kind of folk who have the balls to step away from this defunct system.they are free, no mortgage no rent. Fantastic.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
It is only a matter of time before the Stockholm Syndrome guy shows up and start saying how he out to be thrown out and that his place should be torn down because it is not up to code, how he is a fire hazard and so forth and so on.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
This is exactly my dream for 10 years from now. Kudos to this Welshman for construmcting such a beautiful and inspiring home!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I love this house....
but, well, I bet if anyone tried to build one like that here in the states, they'd get shut down real quick by the local authorities, ya know building codes and all that....

but well, someday, maybe in my lifetime, all those pesky codes, along with the local, state, and federal gov't, will be gone, or at least so weak that they don't have the resources to enforce them....
so, I tend to research those altenrnative methods of building a homes....
this one (which I've seen before) I love, although it's probably a little too adavanced for me!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
It is only rent/mortgage free because the guy that owns the land let them do it.

So in the end they have no claim to the house or land it is on.

Better hope the landowner doesn't have a change of heart and lives a long time.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
It is beautiful.
I wish I could life in one.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Here is a site that features 15 hobbit-type constructions, some looking even more hobbit-like than the home in the OP:
webecoist

LINK WORKS NOW!

I like the round doors.
edit on 21-9-2011 by butcherguy because: fixed link

edit on 21-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Any info on how green the timbers he used were. They could cause trouble when they dry.

How long would the straw insulation in the roof, walls & floor last before it decays & causes movement or smell..

Good on him for his effort, just wondering about upkeep & maintenance into the future.

edit on 21-9-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Not sure mate to be honest but if you check out his site he has lots of info on there, you can email him from there as well, I know his forum isn't working.

Might be worth asking. but from the pictures they all looked dry

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wo0kiEE
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Apparently only took 3 months, about 1500 man hours.. and he isn't a builder

as for mortgages, we were told by our elders that having a house, car, well paid job was what made people happy and successful. Stupid thing was, we listened..

There are strict building codes here in the US. I recently learned this when researching Cob houses. No idea what codes they have in Wales. Had it only been he and his wife living there... I'm sure they would have let them slide. But having two children is going to put him in someone's sights... especially after going public. Guaranteed.
edit on 21-9-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm jealous! My girls would LOVE that house! So cozy and warm feeling....LOVE IT!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

what about this?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

I would not be brave enough to build a house around a living tree.

I wouldn't want to deal with the expanding trunk and limbs wrecking what I had built.

It is cool looking though, def not run of the mill!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
I'm jealous! My girls would LOVE that house! So cozy and warm feeling....LOVE IT!

My kids would love it too. All those scratching poles are a feline's delight. Mom wouldn't need a water bottle to squirt them everytime they got after the furniture anymore.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join