It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a great idea.... (guy builds his own Hobbit hole)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree that it's interesting and all that.

but not very possible.
If your someone that DOES have the skills to construct that thing,
and you can afford the time and tools needed.
The land will always bite you in the ass. Everything is owned by someone and the only way I see anyone making one of these is in a remote area like canada. In the us ? Good luck, you'd have to find a spot of abandoned park somewhere that no one ever goes to. And if you have friends that come over someone will eventually find out.

On a personal note I built and underground house when I was a kid, took me a whole summer, and all my friends wanted to hang out in it after I was done, only a few helped the last few months of course. I basically just dug a giant square hole. Built a 2 by 4 roof on the top, covered with plastic and plywood. I covered the whole inside with the giant plastic lining you get from home depot, big roll of it. I had molded seats from the clay (that's why it took a whole summer to dig, next to a creek). Lined and filled it with carpet, had a fabric shower curtain to pull in front of earth colored plywood door.
I named it 'makeout paradise'. It stood for a good year, until I was hanging out there and the cops showed up with this angry looking drunk. The guy who owned the property had just discovered it. His property was so massive, he was so rich, that he only found my 'fort' when he was survaying (cant spell that word) to sell the land.

I was too young to get in trouble, my die hard christian friend was #ting his pants had never been in a squad car before lolol. The cop said he was going to get some funding to have it destroyed by the city, and I was to never set foot there again or I'd get charged with trespassing. I was the guardian of this little forest and now I was banished. I was devastated, played there maybe all my childhood.

Of course I violated my agreement but ended up running away from construction personnel and serveyers quite a few times. I ended up walking my dog back there when I'd become a man, and the forest was covered with small mansions. The fort was never 'destroyed by the city. Instead a harsh winter melt collapsed it. I bet the cop kept any funding for himself, it went largely unnoticed and is still dilapidated and buried in the same spot.

thanks for listening kinda nostalgic there

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

This Would Make J.R.R. Tolkien Proud !

as Simon Dale's house Looks more like a Hobbit would of built it then Others Ive Seen
as he built it mostly from the Surrounding areas and Local Scraps as a More Natural Setting

as he is Welsh ? Bringing in the Celtic Heritage Roots as Some of the Old Celtic Welsh Round Houses were similar to the Hobbit House .

From Some Apparent reason I wanted to play Jethro Tulls = Song Songs from the Wood!

Songs From the Wood !
www.youtube.com...

Song in the Woods Lord of the Rings
lotr.wikia.com...

The Hobbit (1977) Soundtrack (OST) - 01. The Greatest Adventure
www.youtube.com...

Here in America
Real-Life Hobbit Shire Exists in the Hillsides of Montana Be sure to watch the Video .
www.odditycentral.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There are plenty of places in the US that do not really enforce building codes or zoning. They are rural and out of the way but they are there. If you try to sell you may run into issues with codes but build it for yourself and you are good to go.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
See.. When I read stuff like this.. I believe I can do it as well. It only takes one to start a chain reaction. I've never built anything of this caliber before but I feel good just thinking about building a successful home such as this one.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

The truly costly, and professional, parts necessary in construction of a dwelling is what this "Hobbit house" negates entirely. That being plumbing, structural fortitude and electrical overabundance. If you want to be inspired by a simplistic builder with little $ and storebought material look up Dick Proenneke. You will know him from "Alone in the wilderness", his cabin is now a protected landmark.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DerVerboten

I grew up in a suberb in Massachusetts where all we had were our forts and dirt bomb fights until puberty made them into wack shacks lined with found plaboy pics. Then makeout lairs with a couple of beers stashed under the old dead treestump. I moved to Texas at 14 and had a cave in the back of a park that only a few of us knew about. You only get a few times to be arrested with little repercussion my friend and I still cherrish , Maggie, Linda and Allicia for trusting my knowledge of the woods. GOOD TIMES...good times.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Definitely a beautiful home, but I seriously doubt it only required a few hand tools, a chainsaw, and a couple of mates to build. Anyone that's had experience using a shovel knows all that digging wasn't a one man job. I'm sure there was a backhoe and other equipment involved.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That is really awesome. I like Hobbit houses, they're so whimsical.
But I am VERY skeptical that that could be built for only 3,000 pounds. That sounds insanely cheap.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Threadfall because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join