It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will cash still be used???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Paper money will make good arse wipe. Silver will be the best, gold is too expensive.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Pot noodles will be the major trade when the SHTF.

Mark my words..... buy into and stock up on pot noodles now.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Cash is still useful today releases a bit of pressure for those not wanting to be in the system. If shtf I'm suggesting a local trade network. We got one here, the same as the other 26 in the country (I’ve figured out something a bit more inclusive) but this one will work in extreme circumstances.

It would be like pretending that money was still around, keeps all transactions local, enables more people to buy services & produce, strengthens communities the only negative is for the banks who would be missing out on their transaction fees

Their would still need communication for it to work,, still there are many levels to shtf and this covers many of them, even a financial collapse and it might just save us from fighting over food. This is simply one guy keeping track on a ledger of who owes and is owed with an initial credit of $500 for each participant.

Look up green dollars or barter systems no harm in joining as next year is looking interesting…
Keep it local, friendly and make your community strong if you serious about differcult times, yeah or go bush if you think that people aren't up to it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I feel that any type of metal would be good for trade. Old coins, made from silver, copper, nickel, and gold. I have seen knives made from old saw blades, if you did not have that skill, you could trade the saw blade to someone who does. I just do not think that paper money would have much used. But who knows..

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
When physical money fails, with over inflation or a just total collapse of value, bartering would be the next best thing.

But at some point money would return.

Your best bet between systems is to have enough items of "Want" as possible. So you an effectively trade for your needs.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think it depends on how long this SHTF scenario will last. Short term SHTF....I'd hang on to my to cash. A long term situation.....I thin vices will do good for bartering. People will give anything for some booze.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Already planning to profit off another mans faliure, Wow its almost like we want it all to end. Because we know how #ty we are...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
after reading post's thus far it is no paper money but the use of metals , gold and silver would still be the norm , in my book the would be used as fish sinks, it seems we are just use too the idea of money for goods and services not by a mans skill, nor what he has... odd

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Certainly it will be different when it hits the fan and it does depend on how well the brown stuff hits the fan what the outcome will be...

But going by the number of mints found in the hill forts around here I would say it wouldn't take long for a currency.. especially a local version to re-emerge..

I already have 2 in the area I live in.. one is the Lewesian Pound and the other is the Older Cuckoo and while both are still in use they are currently pegged to Stirling (I guess that will be the most notable change)

Off the back of that it's a short step to produce mailing stamps and passports (both of which have over the years been produced around here)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
No...to put it bluntly.

Commodities like toilet paper, wine, medicines, batteries etc. will be the new currency.

Matches will be like pennies....a hundred will equal a roll of toilet paper...3 rols will equal a bottle of cheap wine... a case of wine equals a 20 round box of ammo...and so on

Skills will be the big money...carpentry, electrical work for generators and solar, and so forth...they will be the big players....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'm betting on the barter system. Trying to make sure I have goods to trade as well. Blessing or curse , I'm not sure which it is but, I live on an Island. We live in perpetual summer. We have a year round growing season and are working on sustainability and having a surplus to barter with. OK I have a surplus of lemons, mangoes, and bananas, and you have root vegetables and eggs, wanna trade? Also in process of procuring and planting cacao and pepper trees. Chocolate and spices will be missed. Spices were one of the first forms of currency in trading if I am correct.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join