It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will cash still be used???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I would like to know if you think the use of cash would be the norm when the SHTF??

Think no banks, no ATM's, no exchange rate, no stocks, or bonds, your stuck with nothing more than TP would you still try to use it as money?

Would you try to restart the system ???
If so why?

Would you take Gold /Silver when it is worth less nothing more than a trinket.

I for one wold not, for it would be worthless, how would you price out your ammo, food, meds, water, and fuel,( not so much for vehicles, but for gen's camp stoves, and lanterns.)and your skills.

Would you welcome a trade/ barter system?

you can answer any or all of the questions, or just your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Seeds.

Water.

Sex.

That is just the first three i would think of, and cash.. For toliet paper maybe

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I was taught that money is "an idea backed by confidence." If the system really went down, then its money would be seen by most people as worthless. The coins or notes could survive as tokens, but I imagine that items of real "value" would be preferred.

I am sure that, unless we get bombed all the way back into the stone age, someone would try to set up a system where they could start using tokens (money) again as a medium of exchange, as it's much more convenient. In a sense, money is a simple way to keep accounts. When bankers walk into a scene, they will try to control money because it was really designed to be a substitute for them. They will try to do away with it if they can, replacing it with some sort of "credit card" or punch card system.

Any economic system is vulnerable to disruption by criminal elements. It doesn't really matter whether it uses money or not. But in an honest society, money is a way to keep one's exchange flows in balance without the need for accountants or bankers.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Definitely would be trade and bartering. Nothing would have a 'price'. If you have some food and need something sewn or cooked and I knew how to do that, we'd trade off. If someone knew how to build something and another knew how to paint/decorate, make shoes, what EVER the case would be, they'd trade. Everything being equal, as we'd all be trading for things to survive on, all would work out fine. It's not like we'd be trading a new porche for some writing paper.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

but everything isn't equal. That's the problem. That's why cash became popular in the first place it's light and divisible.

Yes, cash will still be popular for quite a while in my opinion. Perhaps silver coins. But not immediately "here's my pig, can my family have 4 pairs of shoes."

The real problem is metropolitan areas only have on average 10% or less of the cash on hand in banks that the populations would need to transact in a given day. Because where cash would still be popular, WTSHTF credit cards and personal checks will not be used, that I am almost positive about because it hasn't hit yet and already we feel the personal checks going extinct and blackout = no credit card no way. IMHO - "WTSHTF" only has to = no electricity for more than 3 days in the western world. No natural disaster or terrorist attack necessary, just no electricity for more than 3 days and watch the walls come tumblin' down.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The dollar used to be backed up with gold. Not any more because our government spent all of the gold. Now we have monopoly money..I think it coast 5 cents to make 100 dollar bill
ONLY IN AMERICA

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

edit on 16-9-2011 by GreenFurnNW because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Simple answer. YES.

Who has the cash? Banks and criminals. Bankers will not want to be thought of as ''broke''. Criminals will not want to be thought of as ''broke''. Both of these groups (some say they are one and the same :lol
will have immediate access to cash and armed enforcers.

YES. Cash will rule. You will work for cash. You will trade in cash. You will long for the day the electricity comes back on. You will hope that your electronic account will be restored. Gold and silver are too unwieldy. Cash, and electronic credit transfer, was invented to overcome the difficulties of barter and heavy metals.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Would gold and silver be worth something? I think so. Why is it now? it is still just some form of metal. Why did Native Americans trade in Jade? It was just a ornamental stone. The Romans traded with salt as well as copper and silver coins. I think we will always have some form of cash, maybe bottle caps next time..

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
if an area was in recovery, this could be a way to go.

here is an experiment in local curency:

www.berkshares.org/ - CachedSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
The E. F. Schumacher Society's educational programs seek to link people, land, and community by building local economies. We envision a decentralized future ...

Where to Spend BerkShares - BerkShares Images - BerkShares Exchange Banks

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

then why is it this way today?????? for this is what you said

money is a way to keep one's exchange flows in balance without the need for accountants or bankers.
seems to me that money is the problem not a solution, to me it would i have x in need of y will trade for it.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

yes i could see that 20 bottle caps one cig 200 caps 10 cigs, a bottle worth one pack one pack get you 5 rounds of ammo, 5 rounds get you one pint of beer. why bottle caps?? why not...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XXX777

but if a society has had enough of the slave based money driven way of life, how would they use it ??
For they would have to use it amongst them selves there would be no need for money, after the dust settles you want something take it... you have not read the "stand" have you?? no banks no laws no nothing but the thought of survival... would we get to the point of starting over??

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by trusername

yes that is what i am getting at no power no ATM no ATM no cash no cash you starve, no checks no one there to take them stores closed or abandon, take what you want? (would you, the reader of this) stand there counting it up to leave the cash??? one gal milk 2.30 dozen eggs .99 bred 3.65, and you have $20.00 were do you get your change??? or leave check, or you bank credit card??? how do you use that??? no reader to scan that nor can you scan your items. no law, they done gone or preventing you from going in no money would be tossed by the way side. We would have a lot of free stuff...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

i think that would be the case , and BTW that Porsche: yes it could be traded for paper , some crayons too if it be a model / toy car and your asking a kid

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
IF there is a reasonable expectation that society will get back together soon again (like a localized disaster), then yes, money will still work.

However, in a more global SHTF scenario, money will be worthless pretty much the moment society is out the window....and we'll see a return to a barter system immediately...just by necessity.

Would you trade ammo or food for worthless paper? No, neither would anyone else in such a situation. Money is only worth something if people recognize it as such.

Personally, I think cigarettes will be a good currency...light, easy to divide, and something I don't need, that I can trade to addicts for things I DO need.

Services will be another one...skills (including the oldest profession) will have value...

And of course, supplies and yes, seeds are another excellent (and renewable) currency.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
No I wouldnt honor a bater system. I would not trust another human for a transaction of anytype.

It would be me on my own,until things clear up..if they ever did.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

Then you better have a lot of skills and tools , know how , for get the web it will be dead, no power, no phone and no cell phone.

Most city's will be ghost towns, rape gangs and thugs will be the only residents a few will try to weed them out, street by street, building by building, most will be in ruin from fires, gun battles, vandalism, and looting.
Some neighborhoods will be armed fortresses, gated community's, they will have their own set of laws.
How do I know this???

I ask and talk to some of them, on both sides, ones for lawlessness, and ones that feel protection in numbers is the way to go.

Your not known, your not welcome, they will shoot first, ask questions later, trespassing signs will be posted as the only warning. s fat as teh rape gangs any one will be fare game, for anything, food or as food, ammo, weapons, sex, drugs,and clothes.
will there be any place safe ?????

That is an unknown, to many will want out of city's and will kill for their speck of land: protecting it, or taking it.
SHTF time is not a nice one, nor will it be the end of your worry's and troubles, it will be the start of them.

Will you kill or be killed?? will you survive to make a go of the unknown or will you die?; Be a victim of the end game times?

One thing is certain, only a few 1/4 of the worlds pop, if that will see the out come, death from disease's, exposure, by suicide, or from an other person, from infections, due to;cuts, and injuries.

Some will be caused by, freak accidents.

How many will die in the first wave???? depending on the type of disaster I am talking the world now, 2-4 Billion we are soon approaching 7 Billion: If one fourth stays alive, that is 1-3/4 billion people in the world, more than enough to start the madness over again.

edit on 18-9-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
I would like to know if you think the use of cash would be the norm when the SHTF??

Think no banks, no ATM's, no exchange rate, no stocks, or bonds, your stuck with nothing more than TP would you still try to use it as money?

Would you try to restart the system ???
If so why?

Would you take Gold /Silver when it is worth less nothing more than a trinket.

I for one wold not, for it would be worthless, how would you price out your ammo, food, meds, water, and fuel,( not so much for vehicles, but for gen's camp stoves, and lanterns.)and your skills.

Would you welcome a trade/ barter system?

you can answer any or all of the questions, or just your thoughts.
\

No, cash at that point would most likely lose it's value. You're better off bartering with goods and services. Especially those goods and services which hold value. My gold chain around my neck and the diamonds in my ears? Yeah, you can have them for that food you got over there to feed my kids, in a heartbeat. Let's trade.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

no gold, to soft to work as lead, you got some ammo? some leather? then ya we can trade, if all else fails, i will not let some one starve.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join