It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liverpool football (soccer) player tweets about 9/11

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Liverpool are investigating striker Nathan Eccleston for comments on Twitter that suggested the September 11 attacks were not the work of terrorists. A tweet that has since been taken down said: "I ain't going to say attack don't let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS." OTIS reportedly stands for Only the Illuminati Succeed.

Investigation

So he tweeted that he doesnt believe 9/11 'official' story, he is now being 'investigated'. Whats happened to free speech?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Who is "Liverpool" here? The football club or the city? The football club can do whatever investigation that is lawfull for a private entity and draw whatever conclusions they want, as long as they are lawfull. However sacking the player over his personal political views might be considered discriminatory, seen as they are not racist or otherwise unethical.

European football players get caught in brothels (in many countries lawfull though) and doing hard drugs (not so lawfull) all the time and their sponsors do not even flinch. Of course its a minority, but those cases are pretty regular.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
similar incident here in the Netherlands.

link is in dutch

Mensen zullen we ons nu weer concentreren op het heden, word een beetje moe van die 9/11 propaganda!

Goalie of PSV tweeted the above wich losely translates into:

'People shall we start focusing on the here and now, i'm getting a bit tired of the 9/11 propaganda'

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
'Liverpool' would be the football club not the city. I just dont get what there is to 'investigate', its a tweet. Unless they bundle him into the back of a van and drive around interrogating him about what he knows...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
'Liverpool' would be the football club not the city. I just dont get what there is to 'investigate', its a tweet. Unless they bundle him into the back of a van and drive around interrogating him about what he knows...

Its just a line Liverpool threw around to appease the fans who were shocked at his tweets.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

There's probably a clause in his contract dealing wth public appearances and utterances, especially following the rise of Twitter. Such a clause could probably impose a fine on him for breaching club rules. Free speech does not feature in this, as it's not the government investigating him, but his employer.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

Its just a line Liverpool threw around to appease the fans who were shocked at his tweets.

This is probably true, covering up an expose of a cover up

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think you should take into account he is a 20 year old reserve team player...

just wanted to add.. i can see them banning twitter for footballers soon.. there just seems to be controversy all the time with these tweets..
edit on 14/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
All I have to say with regards to his tweets. Is Well done. He is much as entitled as the rest of us to express his opinions openly, As he posted on his tweeter account.

If you do not like my views or opinions then unfollow me

He has as much right as anyone else in this world to have say. If they stop this then it is censorship.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

I just dont get what there is to 'investigate', its a tweet.

Well, I don't really know much about such things but he is representing Liverpool football club here and anything he does/says that is deemed negative doesn't just paint him in a certain light. It paints the club as a whole in a certain light along with him. If the club doesn't want this kind of publicity then I'd assume that's the reasoning behind any pending investigation.

Just my thoughts..
edit on 14-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yeah, the clubs always "investigate" anything a player does, on or off the field, to cause any comment or dissent. It's just a PR thing, and commonplace.

Much more rare and interesting is the fact that someone with a public presence did this at all, to me. Also wasn't familiar with that acronym before, so there's something I've learned today and it's only 0930 here.

edit on 14-9-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Whaaat? A footballer player with a brain? whats the world coming to. Next it'll be truthfull politicians and compassionate and unbiased judges.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Well it is american owned, Maybe that is why they are investigating his tweets. Wither or not he plays for the club. He is entitled to his views the same as everyone else is.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
9/11 was a huge hoax and every government in the world knows it. This is a huge
conspiracy and all leading institutions an organisations play their part.
That is why it could only have been faked. Otherwise so many would not be
in the 'coalition of the willing'.

9/11 Video Fakery
9/11 Victim Fakery

Fakery Fakery Everywhere.
And we lap it all up.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Well it is american owned, Maybe that is why they are investigating his tweets.

To be honest I hadn't even thought of that. I guess I'd always expect to see some sort of "action" against any premiership player who starts to talk about such a controversial topic at such a time really. Maybe It did play a part but I'm not inclined to believe so.

Wither or not he plays for the club. He is entitled to his views the same as everyone else is.

Oh, agreed. Without a doubt.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Aren't the two owners of the Liverpool Football Club the same two guys who own MLB's Boston Red Sox? Quite an indictment on society when mechanisms such as this are used to stifle political dissent. Even more alarming is how easily people are brainwashed into supporting these Corporate Draconian measures.

If you are waiting for the right time and place to exercise your freedom of speech, chances are you will be waiting a very long time.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Well it is american owned,

Really? Who or what owns the team? I am suprised to hear that. Needless to say I don't follow soccer (football).

Maybe that is why they are investigating his tweets. Wither or not he plays for the club. He is entitled to his views the same as everyone else is.

Yes, he is more than entitled to his views and generally I don't think someone's opinion should effect his/her employment, but as public figures I guess you have to consider their public behavior as terms of their employment. Its a tough one to figure.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Fair play to the boy for using his platform, albeit a small one, for speaking his mind. We are individuals within a collective and naturally judge things for ourselves. Why is it that the masses "logic" must be right, and therefore every other logic unimaginable? The only reason anyone denies it was anything other than a straight up terrorist attack is either fear or stupidity. In England we often mock players for being thick, its refreshing to see one actually who seems to have bit of capacity to think for himself. I hope Liverpool do the right thing and leave him be.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Hypernova86 because: whoops

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypernova86

Why is it that the masses "logic" must be right, and therefore every other logic unimaginable?

Well, first its not just a matter of "logic". There are concrete facts that must be considered. There are more than a few instances where the majority were found to be in error, however, usually if you have 200 people and 199 think one way and 1 persons thinks another and the outlyer does not have access to any information or abilities that are not enjoyed by the majority then the same logic dictates that you exam the outlyer for correction, not the majority.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Tom Werner is one of the chairman.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Unpopular amongst supporters of the club I believe, but every club wants Arab or Saudi owners now. Wonder why?
edit on 14-9-2011 by Hypernova86 because: whoops again

top topics

<<   2 >>

join