It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA & Industrial Light & Magic Rep & SETI Rep to Announce Kepler Discovery at Media Briefing ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
You guys scare and disappoint me.

This is AWESOME. You guys will get your aliens one day, but in the meantime, I will enjoy the unraveling of the info slowly.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
They found Tatooine !

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Binary star with circumnavigating planet? Dull.
OK so 1235 exo planets some with similar sun/planet relationships as our own planet. Strong case for life outside of our own planet - nothing new here!

No disclosure, nothing really groundbreaking - just a NASA public relations ploy to justify funding...
edit on 15-9-2011 by naycalvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2011 by naycalvert because: moon?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Kepler 16b

circumbinary similar to tatoonie from star wars
Doyle confirmed the Planet for Kepler as a Participating Scientist for Kepler
not so much in his SETI studies

doh!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x
They found Tatooine !

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy....outside of Washington D.C.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup
reply to post by Yukitup

On second thought - why is SETI there?

And what is the paper that was published today?

The doctor who works for SETI, is also involved with NASA and Keplar. The acknowledgment of SETI was just because of his Bio, and nothing offical from that organization.

NASA is really starting tio piss me off with these idiotic announcements. To me its nothing more than a whose penis is bigger with the ESA.

Binary star systems.... yawn...

anyone else find it humerous yet disconcerting that we knew this stuff was around through science fiction movies, and that our scientists arejust now getting caught up to speed?

The next televised NASA press conference better be to introduce who are new alien oversears are, and even then and only then would it be acceptible to let us know our new overlords come from a binary star system, just to justify this.

I really wih NASA would get with the program and realize the people want more, instead of this.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
NASA just jumped the shark.
If we're going to get announcements with movie footage being used, can we at least have Mars attacks???

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

go to twitter and search nasakepler in the searchline.
edit on 15-9-2011 by MarkLuitzen because: twitter link wasn't working as planned so different way to get the info

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ok guys! We need to direct the message out quick!

"Help us ObiWan! You're our only hope! Grab your Jedi buddies and help us take our planet back from the evil empire that enslaves humanity! PS... thanks in advance. We owe you one!"

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

I call dibs on being able to doll out punishment for Jar Jar Binx and the person who created him.
edit on 15-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Why do I suddenly think that was a really lame Bluray Star Wars release plug?.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Its not what I was hoping it would be, but is still a fascinating discovery. Not just in terms of planet formation but also star formation. The smaller of the two stars is the smallest ever discovered, great stuff NASA

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yeah - I'm sorry, but that was totally bad-ass...

And it's not even a Hot Jupiter! Just a regular gas giant orbiting a binary.

Man - I'll bet Alpha Centauri has something. Just something I've always wondered: If they're using the transit method, well, what if we're facing some stars on a flat plane?? What if Alpha Centauri and a million other stars are facing us from the top of the plane? As if another planet was looking at Sol from the top? The transit method would never work...

So that leaves a lot of room for speculation and hope! And newer methods!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well so much for anything new at the NASA meeting ! Seems like they would of said "We have found sustainable life like ours on HD 85512 b and we will be transporting people there by the end of the year for 500.00 a seat "....Really ? That's all they have to offer ... i don't buy it !

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
major friggin disappointment...I figured with the SETI dude, they'd finally say we received signals

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViP3r
Well so much for anything new at the NASA meeting ! Seems like they would of said "We have found sustainable life like ours on HD 85512 b and we will be transporting people there by the end of the year for 500.00 a seat "....Really ? That's all they have to offer ... i don't buy it !

500 bucks? reserve me a seat

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm totally bummed out, what a bunch of #%&@.
I usually dig scientists but I am beginning to think they lack imagination...Why wouldn't there be a planet orbiting a binary star system? Why was that a surprise?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by marzabeth

Sadly it's usual something doesn't exist until it is discovered. But I think it was interesting.
Would be nice to live on a planet with 2 suns. To the disappointed alien fans, wasn't Zeta Reticuli a binary system? Maybe they live on a planet like Kepler-16b

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marzabeth
I'm totally bummed out, what a bunch of #%&@.
I usually dig scientists but I am beginning to think they lack imagination...Why wouldn't there be a planet orbiting a binary star system? Why was that a surprise?

This discovery didn't "surprise" them as much as it confirmed what they already believed. Scientist have definitely imagined that planets could be orbiting binary stars before. If they didn't believe a planet could be orbiting a binary star, then they wouldn't have pointed the Kepler spacecraft at Kepler 16 to begin with.

However, while a scientist's imagination may tell them there are probably planets around binary stars, science demands more than just imagination to proclaim that something is in fact a reality.

I for one am glad science demands more from a scientist other than him proclaiming "this is what I think may be true"

edit on 9/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yeah really dissapointed this is the kind of stuff you should see on the news page not make a live announcment infront of the press...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join