It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom Donates Kidney to Son, Loses Job

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Apparently the FMLA doesn't apply in Florida at all either. I know wal mart fired many people during medical pregnancy leaves even ones that were high risk, theysaid "you don't show up you're fired" and they knew damn well nobody working for them could afford an attorney, hell they can't afford to put food on their table and pay rent at the same time!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Twisted1

No it dosn't matter I think its disgusting what they did to her but the previous poster stated this law and a good lawyer could get her some help. But if the law is 50 then i dont think a lawyer would help instead the law should be changed.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wow, are any of you looking at this from the other side?

If you had a business, with say 25 employees, and you run a tight ship, so each employee has adequate work, and you don't have a lot of fluff or free time. You have 25 people plus yourself depending on all the work getting done everyday in a quality manner. And, you have 1 employee with an unfortunate circumstance, so the other 24 pitch in for a couple of weeks to cover them. Then it becomes a 2nd unfortunate circumstance, so the other employees pitch in for a couple of more weeks, but the overtime is costing you money, and the quality of work is declining. Then the same employee has a 3rd unfortunate circumstance and not everyone wants to pitch in, because they are missing their own families, and they have their own issues, and they can't pull any more overtime. Now the entire business is suffering, and 24 people are in danger of their job being adversely affected, and then the same employee comes back with a 4th unfortunate incident in the same year, and you have a mutiny on your hands. Either you replace them and protect the company, or you try to ride it out and risk losing the whole dam thing.

At some point, you cut your losses, even if it pains you. Hopefully they will hire her back if she gets her life affairs in order, but in the meantime, you have to protect yourself, and the other people in your charge.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Post that Info. I will spam it across thousands of different email accounts along with a link to the story. Do it, get me that info.

HEY,,, I like you!!! Please do not take the wrong way!!!

The info that I presume is correct is

Aviation Institute of Maintenance ® Corporate Office 4455 South Boulevard Virginia Beach, Virginia 23452 Phone: (757) 233-6542 Fax: (757) 233-6545

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The words we are looking for here are "compassionate leave"

Any company that doesnt offer this arent worth sh*t

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Wow, are any of you looking at this from the other side?

If you had a business, with say 25 employees, and you run a tight ship, so each employee has adequate work, and you don't have a lot of fluff or free time. You have 25 people plus yourself depending on all the work getting done everyday in a quality manner. And, you have 1 employee with an unfortunate circumstance, so the other 24 pitch in for a couple of weeks to cover them. Then it becomes a 2nd unfortunate circumstance, so the other employees pitch in for a couple of more weeks, but the overtime is costing you money, and the quality of work is declining. Then the same employee has a 3rd unfortunate circumstance and not everyone wants to pitch in, because they are missing their own families, and they have their own issues, and they can't pull any more overtime. Now the entire business is suffering, and 24 people are in danger of their job being adversely affected, and then the same employee comes back with a 4th unfortunate incident in the same year, and you have a mutiny on your hands. Either you replace them and protect the company, or you try to ride it out and risk losing the whole dam thing.

At some point, you cut your losses, even if it pains you. Hopefully they will hire her back if she gets her life affairs in order, but in the meantime, you have to protect yourself, and the other people in your charge.

And you are our Moderator??? Glad I don't work for you!

People should take care of their friends in need. ALWAYS!!!

How hard is it to hire a temp????!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Apparently the FMLA doesn't apply in Florida at all either. I know wal mart fired many people during medical pregnancy leaves even ones that were high risk, theysaid "you don't show up you're fired" and they knew damn well nobody working for them could afford an attorney, hell they can't afford to put food on their table and pay rent at the same time!

Florida has FMLA, but to be eligible, you have to have worked at least 1000 hours in the past 12 months. If someone is part-time, or if they are already missing a lot of work, they may not be eligible for FMLA.

I have a friend going through his 3rd round of Chemo and Radiation right now, and he hasn't missed a full day of work. He often has to come in late, or leave early, or take bathroom breaks, but he is at work.

My wife was in a car accident on her lunch break yesterday. She went back to work, and then went to the ER after work to get X-rayed.

Some people have work ethic and some don't. We don't know how much work this woman missed for the first two deaths, but perhaps she is the type to max everything out and take advantage of the situation?

I've had many, many, many employees, and as a supervisor, it becomes pretty clear, pretty fast who wants to work and who doesn't, and you are responsible for a lot more than just one person. You have to weigh the entire situation and try to do what is best for everyone.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I understand what you are saying and it is correct but there are other ways to get it done. Temp workers are available to fill the voids and do not cost a lot...maybe saved them some money while this lady was out. They could have worked with a temp agency and there are lots of people that work the temp jobs just so they can earn a little extra. There maybe more to the story but they could work out a solution to everyones benefit instead of just letting her go. If a company is so endanger then maybe they should not be in business...this is a school of some sort and they have several in several states. managers can also step up and get the job done.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

The company is at a vast disadvantage, because they cannot discuss her existing disciplinary actions, or her health conditions, or her work quality. They can be sued for just about anything they say, so she can play the sympathy note all she wants, and they can't dispute a word of it, despite what the real situation might be.

I'm just guessing from my previous experience, but I'm thinking this is one of those people that always have some kind of issue outside of their control, and fate just always happens to be torturing them. One day it is all red lights, one day it is the car battery, one day it is the cat got out, one day it is a neighbor in need, one day it is an illness, one day it is an accident on the road, etc., etc., etc. It gets pretty exhausting to deal with that type of employee, even if you really like them. And for whatever reason, they are always really likable, and they play the game very well.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Florida has FMLA, but to be eligible, you have to have worked at least 1000 hours in the past 12 months. If someone is part-time, or if they are already missing a lot of work, they may not be eligible for FMLA.

I have a friend going through his 3rd round of Chemo and Radiation right now, and he hasn't missed a full day of work. He often has to come in late, or leave early, or take bathroom breaks, but he is at work.

My wife was in a car accident on her lunch break yesterday. She went back to work, and then went to the ER after work to get X-rayed.

Some people have work ethic and some don't. We don't know how much work this woman missed for the first two deaths, but perhaps she is the type to max everything out and take advantage of the situation?

I've had many, many, many employees, and as a supervisor, it becomes pretty clear, pretty fast who wants to work and who doesn't, and you are responsible for a lot more than just one person. You have to weigh the entire situation and try to do what is best for everyone.

Just curious,,, Do the people you are speaking of work for you? (Wife / Friend )

And if you don't mind me asking ,,, What country are you from???

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

The people in question worked there one for five years and one for 3 yearsm I realize they really do apply that was sarcastic, however they (wal mart) knows damn well that the employee doesn't have the cash to pay for an attorney.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Yes I know what you are saying...I have worked with people like that. I am sorry for friend by the way and hope it turns out good. My mother is going on 8 years as a survivor so keep him encouraged. As for him working that is good to keep at the routine but I am sure it would be nice to stop and rest some. Your wife sounds like me, I had surgey recently and went back to work afterwards until they kicked me out. I went back the next day though and they gave up and let me do my job. I know there are people like you described but...you know?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

reply to post by DJMSN

The company is at a vast disadvantage, because they cannot discuss her existing disciplinary actions, or her health conditions, or her work quality. They can be sued for just about anything they say, so she can play the sympathy note all she wants, and they can't dispute a word of it, despite what the real situation might be.

I'm just guessing from my previous experience, but I'm thinking this is one of those people that always have some kind of issue outside of their control, and fate just always happens to be torturing them. One day it is all red lights, one day it is the car battery, one day it is the cat got out, one day it is a neighbor in need, one day it is an illness, one day it is an accident on the road, etc., etc., etc. It gets pretty exhausting to deal with that type of employee, even if you really like them. And for whatever reason, they are always really likable, and they play the game very well.

You seem to be very (Corporate Like )

Her family is dying all around her, and she is doing the best that she can.

Being fired for saving her son's life is COLD!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

LOL! No, they don't work for me. My buddy works for a University, my wife works for the State.

I am in the U.S.

My wife was encouraged to NOT go back to work, but she had work to do, and she didn't want to leave it for the next day. My buddy has taken a laptop home a few times, because he was too sick to stay at the office, and his bosses have been compassionate, but he has also made sure his work is always caught up.

We don't know what this woman's job was, but it is in "Aviation Maintenance" so perhaps it is not easy to find a temp, or perhaps it is expensive to train someone, and they can only put out the expenditure for a permanent employee?

On the surface, it looks horrible to fire someone for saving their kids life, but we only have a brief snapshot of one side of the story. The company is forbidden by law from defending itself, it cannot share her personal situation. It is an unfair dichotomy.

And yes, I am a hard boss, but I am also a beloved boss, because everyone knows where they stand, and if anyone gets fired, they know it is coming well in advance. I'd much rather promote everyone than fire anyone, but some people are either unwilling to work, or they are in the wrong career path and they need to be honest with themselves.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
perhaps everyone in this thread who feels this woman got a raw deal should send her whatever money you have saved up that youre not using, if you believe she needs it?
after all, what is a new car, a new house, a new tv, a vacation, or whatever else you may have been saving for, compared to her unfortunate circumstances?

that is pretty much what you are saying about her employer and coworkers, they dont deserve to have money and free time as much as she does. thats an easy thing to say when its someone elses money, someone elses job, someone elses business.

your emails, no offense, are worthless to her plight. the only good they do is in appeasing you, your ego, your moral outrage. its just patting yourself on the back.
so put your money where your mouth is.
if you honestly feel for this woman, then you should do something honestly helpful.

give her your money.
edit on 13-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

LOL! No, they don't work for me. My buddy works for a University, my wife works for the State.

I am in the U.S.

My wife was encouraged to NOT go back to work, but she had work to do, and she didn't want to leave it for the next day. My buddy has taken a laptop home a few times, because he was too sick to stay at the office, and his bosses have been compassionate, but he has also made sure his work is always caught up.

We don't know what this woman's job was, but it is in "Aviation Maintenance" so perhaps it is not easy to find a temp, or perhaps it is expensive to train someone, and they can only put out the expenditure for a permanent employee?

On the surface, it looks horrible to fire someone for saving their kids life, but we only have a brief snapshot of one side of the story. The company is forbidden by law from defending itself, it cannot share her personal situation. It is an unfair dichotomy.

And yes, I am a hard boss, but I am also a beloved boss, because everyone knows where they stand, and if anyone gets fired, they know it is coming well in advance. I'd much rather promote everyone than fire anyone, but some people are either unwilling to work, or they are in the wrong career path and they need to be honest with themselves.

While I respect you for working your way up to ( BOSS ) I have to wonder,,,,, Have you ever had a beer with one of your employees after work? Do you invite some of them over for cookouts??? When they go home do they tell their wife that they had a good time with their friend or do they say the boss sucks???

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

You're gonna love this one!

I fired a very, very good friend of mine a couple of years ago. And, we went out and had a beer that very night. I really hated to do it, and I tried to buy his groceries and gas for weeks, but he wouldn't let me. We were having a lot of stupid mistakes and damage claims and immature behavior, and my friend was not one of the main instigators, but he was also not entirely blameless. I gave an ultimatum one morning, and lo and behold 2 hours later, my buddy lost his temper and did something stupid, and got a little unlucky and his little tantrum damaged a customer's merchandise. Everyone looked at me, and there was a long silence. When I said his name, he already knew, and he just hung his head and walked out. It still hurts me to this day, because he didn't deserve it, but I had a duty, and his martyrdom did set the entire shop straight, and within 2 months, we were a top shop in the company.

I do have cook-outs with my employees, and I go fishing with a couple of them, but it is very rarely one on one, because I don't want to give any impression of special treatment. If I invite one, I invite them all.

More on topic, and keying off the story above, sometimes you have to make very hard and unfair decisions for an individual, because it is the best thing for the many other people involved. What if they hadn't fired this lady, but by the end of the year they had to lay off several workers because production had become too slow, and customers were jumping ship? What if I hadn't fired my friend, and nobody would have ever taken anything I said seriously again? Would anybody be better off?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I've worked for a smaller company for many years. ( Under 25 employees ) Unfortunately some of our family have lost loved ones during that time.
Fortunately our boss cares.
"Take all the time you need, and if there is anything we can do for you let us know." Unfortunately I have heard him say this to many times over the years.

What I'm getting at is ,,, "The closer the group, the better we all become." My bosses words.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

"The closer the group, the better we all become."

no offense, but i hate to work at a places like that. and you didnt mention how well the company is doing, assuming you even know.

in places like that, people with strong work ethics(ie me) end up picking up all the slack, not the boss. the boss is only loved by the people i have to bend over backwards for. its not fair, and its not a good way to run a business. and beyond that its not sustainable.

unless its like a flower or tea shop or something....

i have a family, i have time for friends after work.
when im at work, i want to work and get paid for doing a good job.
i cant stand people who just stand around chatting and "getting closer" or whatever.
edit on 13-9-2011 by BohemianBrim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Sorry, this will be my last reply for the night as it is way past my bedtime.

You do not know this lady, but you are assuming that she is not worth being employed at this company.
Why is she automatically in the wrong in your eyes?

Her life may very well be falling apart before your very eyes. Depression could be setting in.

I can see the note beside her bed.

"Over the last few months I have lost several people in my life that I love. Fortunately I was able to save my sons life with a kidney transplant from my own body.
Since that time my employer has fired me for taking time off work to save my sons life.
The losses I have suffered have been hard,,,,But the loss of my job means I can no longer take care of my hospitalized son.

Hopefully my death benefits will help my son achieve health and stability his life."

Son, I am sorry for leaving you. I did it for you. I love you!!!

THANKS CARING BOSS

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join