It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what you know about the "Night Terrors" everynight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I get these weird feelings when trying to fall asleep. I get anxiety attacks, I get thoughts racing through my mind, I feel things bump into me and I hear noises around the house. When I do fall asleep I get nothing but nightmares, I usually sleep at around 5am and I dream of bad s*** that's happened in the past or things I fear the most like the death of a loved one etc. I call them "Night Terrors" cause honestly they scare the s*** out of me but I can't escape them.

So well I found a page on Wikipedia that explains these Night Terrors.

A night terror, also known as a sleep terror or pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder that predominantly affects children, causing feelings of terror or dread. Night terrors should not be confused with nightmares, which are bad dreams that cause the feeling of horror or fear. One in six children have at least one night terror in their life but have no memory of the occurrence.

Children who have night terrors are usually described as 'bolting upright' with their eyes wide open, and a look of fear and panic. They will often scream. Further, they will usually sweat, breathe fast and have a rapid heart rate (autonomic signs). Although it seems like children are awake during a night terror, they will appear confused, be inconsolable, and will not recognize others. Strong evidence has shown that a predisposition to night terrors and other parasomniac disorders can be passed genetically. Though there are a multitude of triggers, emotional stress during the previous day and a high fever are thought to precipitate most episodes

Source

In addition to night terrors, some adult night terror sufferers have many of the characteristics of depressed individuals including inhibition of aggression, self-directed anger, passivity, anxiety, impaired memory, and the ability to ignore pain. When a night terror happens it is typical that person can wake themselves up screaming, kicking, and often can not make out what they are saying. Often the person can even run out of the house (more common among adults) which can then lead to violent actions.

Pretty Creepy huh? Any other members experiencing this?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My wife experienced night terrors from the time she was very young till a few months after we got married. We use a dream catcher with a hematite stone woven into it to help her. She still has nightmares, but not night terrors.

I have worked with dreams for a long time. Some of my belief's are not able to be proven, but I will share with you what I think you may be able to do.

There are multiple parts to the dreaming. There are the happy dreams, the standard dreams, nightmares, night terrors, and prophetic dreams. Each of these dreams have an influence on all people who sleep to a varying degree. If you are finding yourself trapped into the night terror area and know how to lucid dream, the easiest way out is to imagine yourself flying. Once you start flying you can go away from any of the terrors in the dream. Now it is possible that you are not in a standard dreaming. You may have slipped into the temporal stream, where prophetic dreams and visions of the past lie. This is the place that many mistake for a past life area. What is happening is you are viewing the past from someone along your genetic line usually. (I believe this is why there are so many who claim to be famous people in the past.)

Or you are seeing a possible future and it is scaring you. Try a dream catcher if you aren't a lucid dreamer. That usually works. The type of stone varies from person to person. Find one that clicks with you so to speak. Place that in the dream catcher and hang over the window that is closest to your bed. Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It sounds like you are describing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder):

Symptoms of PTSD fall into three main categories:

1. "Reliving" the event, which disturbs day-to-day activity

• Flashback episodes, where the event seems to be happening again and again

• Repeated upsetting memories of the event

• Repeated nightmares of the event

• Strong, uncomfortable reactions to situations that remind you of the event

2. Avoidance

• Emotional "numbing," or feeling as though you don't care about anything

• Feeling detached

• Being unable to remember important aspects of the trauma

• Having a lack of interest in normal activities

• Showing less of your moods

• Avoiding places, people, or thoughts that remind you of the event

• Feeling like you have no future

3. Arousal

• Difficulty concentrating

• Startling easily

• Having an exaggerated response to things that startle you

• Feeling more aware (hypervigilance)

• Feeling irritable or having outbursts of anger

• Having trouble falling or staying asleep
Source.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
My dear friend

I dont kow your age, but what you are experiencing sounds like classic anxiety manifesting at night. I would suggets you investigate some coping strategies, start with your doctor, or other medical professional and go from there. hope this is of some help.

be well

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Not really, The list seems a bit over the top. I'm not startled easily and I don't avoid anything that would remind me of things that happened. I also don't get over agitated (I can easily control my anger) and I don't avoid any public places.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Does your life feel out of control to you?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

I'm not superstitious and doubt a dream catcher will help me psychologically. I can swear that two nights ago I heard the knocking in my room and I felt someone hit my back. A few mins later I could felt someone lie down beside me and elbow me. I reached out and felt them, Suddenly a huge amount of pressure was released from the duvet and it went flat. I got up and looked around and no one was there. It's been getting worse and worse...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Honestly I just don't see any future....I'm in control of my life but it feels like I got this huge burden on my back. Too many people are relying on me.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My son woke often at night, screaming, crying and completly drenched in sweat. When I say often I mean several times a week. It started when he was about three. He was never able to tell us what had scared him, by the time he calmed down, he usually fell back to sleep. Now one thing that was unnerving was that he often would recount stories that never happened.

One of these stories were that me and him went for a ride in a Limo. I assured him that this Limo ride never took place and he would argue with me and get very upset. He told this story over and over He would only describe the limo as red and white and that he rode in the back and I rode up front. When he was seven he had a drowning accident, after being stableized, but still critical, at the local hospital, he was to be transferred to the nearest Pediatric ICU by Med Flight but the weather was too bad so we had to wait for an ambulance. My wife decided that I should ride with my son and she would follow with relatives. I rode up front with the driver. The Ambulance was red and white.

Now what I am saying is that MAYBE his night terrors were dreams of these events he claimed happened, just not yet .. again he was never able to tell me. Maybe you need to pay more attention to YOUR situation. I would begin by documenting EVERYTHING. Keep a journal and as soon as you wake up make a habit of writing in it. See what comes out. I am gonna keep an eye on this thread as I am interested to see other responses.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KicknAndScreamin

Very interesting, I make short lists and post them......Not gonna go into real details about the dreams when I have them. Yesterdays events included:

*Knocking sounds from around the house
*Footsteps and noises from inside my room
*The feeling of being watched and an occasional shadow, (Corner of my eye)
*Shadow approaches bed and I can make out a silhouette, Long jacket/Detective type hat
*Dreaming of losing people
*Cold sweats, Not frightened by anything happening except the dream
*Feeling confused and helpless
*Feeling something knock me/Feeling something lie down beside me and elbow me
*Hear voices in my head from time to time and thoughts racing
*Wanting to open up my curtains and looking outside (Don't know why, Wanted to make sure everything is normal)
*waking up and punching the wall due to the stress these events bring
*Wanting to scream out and do something else other than try and sleep

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa

Very interesting, I make short lists and post them......Not gonna go into real details about the dreams when I have them. Yesterdays events included:

*Knocking sounds from around the house
*Footsteps and noises from inside my room
*The feeling of being watched and an occasional shadow, (Corner of my eye)
*Shadow approaches bed and I can make out a silhouette, Long jacket/Detective type hat
*Dreaming of losing people
*Cold sweats, Not frightened by anything happening except the dream
*Feeling confused and helpless
*Feeling something knock me/Feeling something lie down beside me and elbow me
*Hear voices in my head from time to time and thoughts racing
*Wanting to open up my curtains and looking outside (Don't know why, Wanted to make sure everything is normal)
*waking up and punching the wall due to the stress these events bring
*Wanting to scream out and do something else other than try and sleep

Okay, the shadow that approaches your bed, do you see it while looking directly at it or out of the corner of your eye?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I saw it once while looking directly that's when I noticed the hat etc, I wasn't bothered or scared and just turned my head away. I had to sit up to see it.

I remember sitting up and looking around my room about 20-30 times every night. Sort of like this:

edit on 11-9-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attrei
My wife experienced night terrors from the time she was very young till a few months after we got married. We use a dream catcher with a hematite stone woven into it to help her. She still has nightmares, but not night terrors.

Ok, without getting too lengthy, You say your not superstitious but you should look into it. I am a firm believer in spiritualism and energy, Kharma, You receive what you put out, all of that. The dream catcher that Attrei mentioned may have helped Psychologically but the Hematite stone woven into it is said to have spitirual grounding properties as well as help relieve stress and promote inner peace which may explain the results his wife experienced

More to the point it sounds as though you may have a spiritual visitor seeing shadow figures and hearing noises as well as feeling pokes and shoves. Why would it be visiting you? I don't know. but the paranoia and anxiety you are feeling may be due to the fact that you are feeling the energy that your "visitor" is projecting.

If you are interested I can recommend some research items, that mey help. If you think I am nuts, I understand that that too.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This could signal spiritual oppression or the first stage of possession.

Determine, define and cleanse your sleeping space.

Make it yours. Command your space. Make the rules. It is grinding you down and ruling you.

It will continue to do this unless you take control of the situation and ensure it's not welcome.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This sounds more like paranormal stuff going on than anything in your head.. Something touching you in order to make you afraid sounds like some spirit that wants you to get out of there..

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
This could signal spiritual oppression or the first stage of possession.

Determine, define and cleanse your sleeping space.

Make it yours. Command your space. Make the rules. It is grinding you down and ruling you.

It will continue to do this unless you take control of the situation and ensure it's not welcome.

You may be correct, my impression is that it is trying to gain his attention for one reason or another. It may very well mean harm The safest rout is to block it out and expell it. But there is also the chance that it may simply have a message. Outwardly I would say find out, but I have never been known for my great decision making abilities. But honestly I would take stellifys' advice.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

If you had gone to the provided link it would have explained that these are ALL of the possible symptoms. Nobody has them all. In fact, some of them are quite contradictory of each other. You have listed enough of the symptoms to point to PTSD however. Is there a traumatic event that triggered these symptoms?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I feel something feeding off my negative feelings, especially anger. I get these crazy thoughts or reminders that piss me off, It happens daily and I'm always angry but wouldn't harm a fly.

The interaction (Knocking me) only started three nights ago. What message would it have......It seems like the more depressed I become the more stuff happens around here.

How exactly do I make the rules do I shout randomly "Leave me alone". If there is something then it's craving for attention and I'm not giving it any.

reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I'm really stressed but can't think of any certain event that triggered it except an increase in depression.

At times I feel like my mind does all this when I'm feeling miserable. I once posted a thread about the closets banging and opening on their own. I locked them and checked inside and the banging continued.....I laughed it off. A couple of mins later the banging came from the hallway and I went and checked and the key started shaking and went up to as if someone was pulling it (I wasn't the only one that witnessed this).

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I suffered most nights.

Some of the 'terror' was sexual in nature. It followed me for around three years.

I began to take control by walking round my bed and running my hand above the mattress - all the way round - stating that this was my space and nothing (other than divine spirit) should cross that line.

I sought to centre myself and calm myself before sleep by charging my body up - imagining myself coated in a White protective light with no spaces. I began to control my breathing.

I have always been susceptible to seeing ghosts and picking up energies in the places I visit. I have never sought them out - I would rather close them out.

It changed for me after I read a book called psychic self defence by Robert Bruce. In it, he talked about confronting spriritual assailants in dreams.

I did this - basically became a snarling monster myself in the dream and kicked some serious butt! I woke up on the bed - naked on top of the duvet - snarling on all fours, baring my teeth and biting.

It may have been purely psychological but it worked. Am rarely bothered now....

Have you taken part in anything, which may have opened a door?

Define your space - tell it out loud that you command it to leave.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stellify

That has to be one of the craziest replies I've ever read! Wow

Never did Ouija or anything of that sort, When I was 14 I found a ring engraved with the star of david and the goat. That's about the closets I've gotten to ever inviting spirits. I kicked the ring about for a couple of mins and left it there.

If the demon ever tried anything sexual on me I can guarantee you the ring wont be the only thing I will be kicking around. I will send myself to hell personally just so I can get revenge.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join