It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security says post 9/11 America has seen a new threat from the internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Homeland Security says post 9/11 America has seen a new threat from the internet

www.dailymail.co.uk< br />

"...Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano [said]: "The increasingly savvy use of the Internet, mainstream and social media and information technology by these groups adds an additional layer of complexity to an already complex threat picture..."

Philip Mudd, who worked in counter-terrorism for more than two decades, said homegrown terrorism was a "new art form"...."This homegrown phenomenon is really only about three or four years old..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
They are talking specifically of Islamic radicals and Jihadis, but i get really uncomfortable when TPTB start setting their sites on the Internet and trying to link it with "terrorism"....And it seems a cheap smear job especially on 9-11. That's low.

They really can't keep their greasy paws off it.

Well, watch out or someday you might find yourself acused of practicing an unwelcome "new art form"

www.dailymail.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Look at the casualty numbers from terrorism related attacks then look at the casualties from our occupation in the Middle East. I think the government puts this huge smear on terrorism because they are afraid people will wise up and try to rebel so they are making it seem like thinking for yourself makes you a suicidal murderer.

edit on 11-9-2011 by Se7enex because: lol

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
And the biggest BS in all of this is that

The ones they really should look out for are NOT going to be on the internet
OR using a mobile phone, OR walking through a TSA scanner at an airport

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

'Yes, we worry about somebody grabbing a gun and then going down some place and doing something awful but they will never just do that.

'In all the cases you have seen, there are indicators leading up to that particular event. They were radicalised in order to get there.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

No they are talking about Americans here not Jihadist's... This is your run of a typical drug deal gone bad is what they are talking about.. Homegrown Terrorism.. That is what McVeigh supposedly accomplished when here supposedly blew up the Murrah building in OKC.

'This homegrown phenomenon is really only about three or four years old. So it's not just how do we respond after 10 years of the terrorism problem, it's how do we respond to the problem of the Al Qaeda revolution when we're not even dealing with Al Qaeda members anymore,' he told Fox News.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Again this isnt new, the guy who shot up the 3 cops in Pgh and the guy who shot up the pentagon, and whoever blew up that thing in times square.. This is all americans doing terrorist acts...

On a side note the 1st terrorist act was done in the states on wall st no less back in the day with the use of a horse drawn buggy...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

If only we could band together and terrorize the REAL terrorists.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yea I have a feeling it will be crazy in just a few years. I already get comment and strange looks from cooworkers just because I think outside the box. Automatically I'm "crazy".

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Well, if they shut the Internet down, least I won't have to do my math online. Gawd, I totally hate the set up.
edit on 11-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Our government seems to do well in identifying threats.... To bad thats where it stops.

We have an immigration problem, yet we ignore the border issue.
We have a problem with corruption in government, yet we ignore it.
We have a problem with our debt, yet we ignore it.

Its apparent that the Government is now resorted to just making molehills into mountains to shift attention.

We know China constantly engages in cyber warefare agsint the US, and we ignore it.

I think its time we all get out and vote in 2012.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It scares me too. I've always felt that the only way to combat any form of terrorism is to confront the reasons that cause people to want to commit these acts. With religious fanaticism especially, it's easier said than done, but focusing on issues like political corruption, economic collapse, and foreign relations will help prevent future acts of terrorism. In many ways it feels as though the United States government is in denial in its role of fostering anti-American sentiments.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This will increase.

The internet is a breeding ground and transmission medium for ideas. Its a challenge to the status quo as the printing press once was.

Governments worldwide are afraid of it. The authoritarian ones wall their citizens off, the ostensibly free ones are grappling with how to assert control without looking authoritarian.

Whatever they come up with will require public support. That requires the freedom of the internet to be demonised first on the news and the talking heads. Just watch as a distinction is drawn between corporate internet (good) and fringe blogs (bad). The trick will be to associate frequenting this site or zero-hedge etc as a deviant act. It wont be hard to accomplish, a little fear works wonders.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Terrorists now use the internet.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
It scares me too. I've always felt that the only way to combat any form of terrorism is to confront the reasons that cause people to want to commit these acts. With religious fanaticism especially, it's easier said than done, but focusing on issues like political corruption, economic collapse, and foreign relations will help prevent future acts of terrorism. In many ways it feels as though the United States government is in denial in its role of fostering anti-American sentiments.

Stop it please!
You're making too much sense!
The concept of blowback is ignored and it's only getting worse by using drones and by our intervention in Libya.
Government model: If you don't have enough terrorists drop some bombs and we'll make more.
Voila! Instant enemies!
Great reply

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Terrorists have used the internet since it becamre available to the public.
Theres nothing new here....Janet is just engaged in the propaganda war against freedom.
Your freedom.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Well we all saw this coming. The ol' "Blame a Terrorist-Take away Freedom" game.

You wait, one day we'll have to ask permission (or buy a permit) to flush our own toilet!

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Around here, you should see how many empty houses there are. I'm wondering how many people even HAVE a toilet left to use? That question is a digression from the original OP but thought I'd still throw it out there.

They are bound and determined to make out the internet as evil. Just like guns are evil, drugs are evil, terrorists are evil(and are everywhere). Bullspit. What we ALL SHOULD be doing is using the net to organize, using said guns to go to Washington and take back our government from the liars and thieves on Capitol Hill. Watering the tree of liberty and all that. For some reason it ain't happening, though.

When they start calling little old me a terrorist(and they have) it's time for a change(not that crap Obama pushed on us).

This is what we should expect from Janet, though. She's a biotch from the nether regions of hell.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The threats of 9-11 are fading, they need new ones.

Hello Hackers guess whose it now.

Im waiting for some major infrastructure (water, power, waste treatment) what ever to be hacked and cause mass death, maybe something like hacking a BIG pharm lab and messing with meds or even a nuclear plan causing a major release of radiation.

Than Patriot act 2.0, hackers are the enemy the internet the warzone.
edit on 11-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Se7enex
reply to post by ThichHeaded

If only we could band together and terrorize the REAL terrorists.

What's that? That's it, you are going on my naughty list, I mean terrorist list for trying to invoke an uprising.

You naughty, naughty person you.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
PTB: "so you're saying that people are using the internet to expose our plans?! BRING FORTH THE BANHAMMER!!!"

atleast that's how i like to picture it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join